Android overtakes Nokia to take the top spot among smartphone platforms

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OllyW, Jan 31, 2011.

1. OllyW, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011

OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

2. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Not too surprising as android is on all 4 major carriers and has multiple hardware manufacturing partners as well. It's just stupid when my friends w/ android devices throw this in my face. They don't seem to realize that the iPhone was on, until now, 1 carrier, with pretty much 1-2 versions of the phone as well.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I can't believe that Symbian was on top this. I don't think I've ever seen a Nokia smartphone in the wild.

4. OllyW thread starter Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

This is for GLOBAL sales. The iPhone has been available on more than one carrier since November 2007. :rolleyes:

Nokia don't sell well in America but are still popular throughout the rest of the world.

5. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

6. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Actually Nokia's flagship smartphones are selling terribly in Europe aswell, I have yet to see anybody holding any of their new flagship phones.

It'll be interesting to see what Nokia does at MWC, if they don't do somebody good and fast, they're ****ed!

7. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Yes they're but Apple killing Google in profits and developers still prefer to produces apps for iOS over Android.

8. kevinof macrumors 6502a

So what happens in say a year or two and Android has say 70% of the worldwide market - where will the majority of developers be then? The will be on Android because that's where their customers will be. It's not because Android is any better or worse than IOS is just simple maths.

Android is going to continue to grow. The number of operators and handsets using Android will grow and above all the customer base will grow. It's only a matter of time before developers give priority to the platform where the majority of customers are (assuming they can make $$ on Android!)

9. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Nobody going to have 70% of the market. Theres too many OS out there for that to happen. Android should be the leader maybe around 50% or so but if Apple has a good 25-30's percentage developers will still develop for iOS first because they know iOS user will pay for their app unlike Android user.

10. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You make way more money from in-app ads than you will from charging a pitiful 99 cents that Apple automatically takes 30 cents away, leaving you with just 69 cents. Apple should be very, very afraid of Android because it is now the one with critical mass and the momentum.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I know that their feature or dumb phones do, but I'm still surprised to see these numbers from Nokia smartphones.

Agreed, Android is doing quite well. I would suspect however, that they will take a hit in the US when the Verizon iPhone goes on sale.

12. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

And there is about 4:1 Android phones on twice as many U.S. carriers too. These numbers can't be compared Apples to Apples. Android is an OS, iPhone is a phone and don't say it has two because of different storage sizes its one phone. Compare any single Android phone to the iPhone. Thats the only way these things mean anything.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Indeed, Rovio has predicted that they will make a lot more money on their ad-supported Android version of Angry Birds, than on the paid iOS version.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well there is more than just the US.

Also on multiple phones does not have as large of an effect of sales as some people want to think.
    Over all it has marginal effect. Yes it increases sales some but the most of the sales of a given unit comes at the cost of sales of another Android phone.

From those numbers What I expect to see in the future is Microsoft numbers to jump up quite a bit because they more or less dropped off the map as they prep WP7. Now that it is out I expect to see there market share jump.

15. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

16. cube macrumors G5

Smartphone doesn't mean high end, there are a lot of relatively inexpensive Symbian Series 60 phones.

17. sicmac macrumors newbie

Attached Files:

18. sicmac macrumors newbie

19. Savor Suspended

Savor

Now if Android and Nokia can combine, that would be even better. Android may not be iOS-smooth to some of you fanboys here, but it is still far superior to Symbian. And Nokia is a great hardware manufacturer that is far better than Samsung or LG.

C'mon, Nokia. Forget Meego. Just another buggy OS nobody will care about. The OS war is getting too saturated. I believe Sony made the right move by making PlayStation Suite available to Android first. Better exposure banking on the hottest selling OS right now.

20. sicmac macrumors newbie

If Nokia will start using Android it will be great for today. There will be no companies to beat them.

But Nokia currently is looking for partnership with Microsoft with Mobile Windows 7 :(

21. Gordon Gekko macrumors regular

This shouldn't be news to anyone as Android is on multiple models from multiple carriers. How could the market end up any different.

This could be dejavu of when Microsoft Licensed Windows to everyone and Apple kept the Mac OS and the hardware to itself.