Android phone or iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nishi100, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm concidering buying a new phone and I'm stuck between an Android phone and an iPhone 4.

I like the flash support, notification system (and larger screens) on android phones; however, I like the slickness of iOS, the look of the iPhone and the quality of apps on the iPhone 4.

So I was wondering

1) If I could have the best of both worlds and dual boot between both OS' on and iPhone 4?

2) If any of you have been stuck between an android phone and the iPhone; and which one you purchased, and what you thought of it - i.e did you regret it?

2. hoing macrumors member

i have a droid 1 and only got it because iphone wasnt on verizon

few things you should know about droid
    customization is phone for a week then you realize its just a waste of battery and unpractical
    the applications are slowly improving but adds destroy them
    battery life is garbo stank
    keyboard isnt that good

like you said the only thing android has over iphone is not system and bigger screen but thats it. planning on waiting for iphone 5.

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Out of the box, I would say the iPhone provides a much more consistent experience and ease of use (especially when it comes to syncing). An obvious drawback with iOS is the crappy notification system.

With Android you'll have to research a lot to see which device is right for you, but some of them are very good (e.g. Droid X). Also there's Swype too, which is a godsend.

4. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I would definitely go for the iPhone, although at this point, it'd be smarter to wait for the iPhone 5. An improved notifications system should be coming in iOS 5, so I would put any concerns you have about it to rest. Which carrier are you on?

5. Nishi100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm in the UK. And, either way (android phone or iPhone) I'll probably go for T-Mobile, Orange or 3.

Currently I'm on o2, finishing off my contract, which finishes conveniently, at the end of July (a month or two after WWDC).

However, I an really annoyed at o2 / LG for the poor reception that I'm getting and persevering, so I don't have to pay the last few months all at once (early termination fee).

And, hoing, I agree with you that some features of android look cool, but waste battery and are useless after a week - live wallpapers.

Roessnakhan, yes, the notification are rubbish on iOS, and these little things, (flash, notifications, widgets) is swaying me to android, who have had these features for a long time. Also, little extras,like the potential 3DS style screen on an LG phone, going to be reased at MWC, also sway me to android; but the look of the iPhone 4 by itself always sways me back.

I also think, after using iOS for 3 years on my iTouch; it's getting old and dull and android in comparison, looks fresh (not clean and simple - which isn't always good)

6. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

In that case, I would finish off your contract, switch to the best carrier and get the iPhone 5 (or whatever it will be called). Of course, this all depends on when the iPhone 5 launches in the UK.

7. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I prefer Android. It has many more options and features. To me the iPhone4 feels dated and stale. It is high quality and stable for sure, just feels like a phone from 2008.
    I respect Apple and what they have brought to the smart phone market but Android has surpassed them for the tech geek crowd.

The Nexus-S is a fantastic phone very fast and silky smooth. The EVO 4G is a awesome phone too made even better once rooted with a cool custom Rom.

I like Android for the endless customization allowed. The widgets are great. The notifications are perfect. And this year Android will get much much better with 3.0 release.

The iPhone is just a screen full of app icons = lame and old school.

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

+1. He seems to know what he is talking about... even though his avatar is odd.

9. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

To each his own. If you're a geek at heart, Android is basically heaven (or, of course, jailbreaking your iPhone works just as well). ;)

Maybe, but I sorta like it. :)

10. Nishi100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Who wouldn't want a picture of SJ as their avatar? :)

And I'm just going to finish my contract off, and as you well put, the iPhone 5 will be available by the end of the contract (4 inch screen would seal the deal for me - see what I did there); if WMC doesn't have any good android phones in store for us (3D no glasses > 4inch screen IMO - and, loke all android phones, by July the contract ppm would have dropped; a fiver a months saves up to a lot, over a year.

11. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

This. ^ :D

12. Mistrzem macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure Android 3.0 is for tablets only.

Anyway, I have owned several Android phones, including the Droid 2, Droid X, and Evo 4G, and they are all great phones, but just no where near as smooth as the iPhone 4. The screens aren't as good, touchscreen keyboards aren't as good either, though I do like the speech-to-text on the Androids.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure there are several Android forums you can join :)

13. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

iPhone is the way to go.
    If you still think that using the iPhone 4 with the Retina display you are still in 2008 then: go back to the future.
    The HD camera and the HDR feature for the still photos is worth it.

Maybe I am wrong, but I have seen some comments about Android that most of the times you will stuck with the OS version that the carrier/phone manufacturer used, and that many of the new features added with future releases are most of the times not available for you to install.
    Even Apple had done that and sometimes justified with certain hardware limitations, but even so the iPhone 4 is a better choice.

Jailbreaking it will give you also access to many other add ons.

With the iPhone you can watch at least see flash videos with Skyfire, and some other browser solutions out there, you will have to pay for them, but they don't cost that much.

Facetime and Skype work great, and WhatsApp add a cross platform instant messaging communication experience.

14. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

It's funny how the iPhone crowd has changed over the years. I was a first day buyer of the original iPhone and the 3G, loved them both best phones for their time, and definitely appealed to the tech geeks and art designer crowd.

Now with the iPhone4 lost that crowd and somehow picked up the non techies. I see so many ****** trash moms and grandmas and cavemen with the i4.

If your a tech geek and like a custom phone and large screen with the best hardware get Android or even a jailbreaked iPhone4. Leave the stock iPhone4 for old fogies.

15. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

2.4 Honeycomb is for Tablets. 3.0 "Ice Cream" is the next gen Android OS.

And my rooted EVO with custom Rom is easily as smooth and snappy fast as my brothers iPhone4, if not even faster.

16. elan123 macrumors 6502

hey, thats mean! bwahahahha!

17. Mistrzem macrumors newbie

Sooo, since it's popular and many people have the iPhone 4, now it's a second-rate phone?
    I guess you're one of those people that if anything is popular and a lot of people have it, then it's crap.. I knew a lot of those people in high school...

18. Mistrzem macrumors newbie

Read up on that again. 2.4 is Ice Cream and 3.0 is Honeycomb for tablets only.

Right, the stock iPhone 4 > stock HTC Evo 4G
    and stock iPhone 4 = rooted HTC Evo 4G

What happened to your argument about the iPhone 4 being from the stone age?

19. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I just feel since the iPhone got so popular they stopped innovating as much. The original iPhone was like from StarTrek was so ****ing awesome for 2007, I was in love. Fast forward to 2010 and the i4 feels like the same ol nothing drastically different.

20. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I know my Android and Honeycomb is for Tablets and Ice Cream for phones. Actually they are saying 2.4 might just be an incremental update for phones. Ice Cream will be the major update due out later this year.

21. monkey186 macrumors member

I see what you are saying. My previous smartphone was android, htc Magic, i liked it apart from the fact that it was very slow. It annoyed me so much i could hardly wait until my contract was finished. When the time finally came to upgrade i of course realized that Magic was an old phone and that new Android headsets are better. Still i was careful to research the issue and surprisingly found people complaining that one of the latest headsets, samsung galaxy s (which i considered as an upgrade because i liked its form factor and thinness), was laggy.

It was very disappointing, and as much as i'm a geek myself this made me look at the iPhone, which i have never owned before (and nothing else of apple). The responsiveness of the iphone 4 which i tried was unbelievable, and also when i researched it luckily the slowness did not appear among the iphone 4 faults. This was a deal breaker to me, the speed of the phone and the form factor (at that time galaxy s and iphone 4 were the two sleekest smartphones in uk). So i decided against the Android and so far, I haven't looked back.

Customization of the Android? Yes it was cool, but just as a toy-factor for the first couple of months. Eventually i ended up adjusting the phone to be most efficient for daily needs, and that was it. As it happens, the iPhone 4 turned out factory adjusted to be most efficient for daily needs (my daily needs at least), so i don't miss customization.

The iPhone is a screen full of app icons - yes, but why is it lame and old school? All the time apart from when you don't use the phone, it is pitch black. When you actually wake it you do it for a reason. Need to make a call, press the icon. Send the message/email, press the icon. Check the news, press the icon. Find what the weather is going to be at weekend, press the icon. Surely a screen full of icons is not such a bad idea given the above??

(Kill me but i don't understand people who complain about the constant "sunny 23C" weather icon on the iPhone - why can't they simply look above their heads to see what the weather actually is, instead of looking at it on their phones?:))

22. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

widgets are big for me. I like seeing thr forcast without having to click an icon. Or a news widget that is big and gives me the headlines right there without clicking an icon.

You watch, once Apple brings out a widget type thing to iOS in the future it will be marketed as the biggest thing ever.

23. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Probably. Would you switch then? I would love to see live icons/ widgets in iOS 5. Just sayin'. ;)