Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
The only upside of USB-C (3* really) is speed. All the rest (durability, waterproofing, size…) are downsides. For a phone (especially when very few people use wired data transfer) it’s very reasonable to think that Lightning is “the car”.
What kind of sucks (for those of us that still use wired data transfer on occasion anyway) is that Lightning is technically capable of USB 3.0 speeds (see: the last Lightning-ported iPad Pros) but Apple, for whatever reason, never uses a USB 3.0+ capable controller in the iPhone. It's kind of infuriating, honestly. You are correct; USB-C, as a physical connector standard, really is not as good.

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
Nothing. Nobody wants that anymore except for a few diehards.
I’d buy one, in spite of the extreme convenience of not being able to listen to music while charging the phone the new iPhones brought us.

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009
The only upside of USB-C (3* really) is speed. All the rest (durability, waterproofing, size…) are downsides. For a phone (especially when very few people use wired data transfer) it’s very reasonable to think that Lightning is “the car”.
Yep!! Unless you are the rare person who needs to frequently transfer massive data to and from your phone, lightning >USB C all day long and twice on Sunday.

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
It takes a project like this to make you realize how truly little anyone actually wants lightning

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
I really don't understand the Android hate.

The only functional difference is the ease of integration Apple offers, which is why I use an iPhone now after almost a decade on Android.

And there are things about Android I still miss, but for me ecosystem IS the juice.

On topic: I love it when engineers do stuff like this, effectively proving "it can be done".

Some "way-smarter-than-me" people out there to admire.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
If this guy could only produce something that would enhance people’s lives instead of this “look what I did” nonsense.
Entertainment enhances people's lives, my man/lady.

And we don't know what he does with the rest of his time.

Now go return Christmas before the kids notice it's gone, Mr. G.

• Haha
Reactions: imnotthewalrus

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
Nothing. Nobody wants that anymore except for a few diehards.
Do you not think though that someone with money to burn would buy it just for the novelty of having it? Like the iPhone with USB-C (granted that’s something people want but still sold for way more than it would’ve had it been standard and widely available)

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010

The only functional difference is the ease of integration Apple offers, which is why I use an iPhone now after almost a decade on Android.

And there are things about Android I still miss, but for me ecosystem IS the juice.

On topic: I love it when engineers do stuff like this, effectively proving "it can be done".

Some "way-smarter-than-me" people out there to admire.
Maybe it’s not android per se, but the experience you get with most android phones, that are cheaper but lack quality when compared with high end phones, be them android or iphones.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
The lightning port is one of the things Apple should be more like Android with. Give us a USB-C for crying out loud, especially on the Pro iPhones ?‍?

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan

If someone prefers to use Android it doesn’t bother me, to each their own. Android absolutely offers things iOS doesn’t and for some people those things matter.

But there are far more differences than ease of integration.

Speed for one
OS upgrade support and longevity
Durability
UI smoothness
Smoother digital payment
Significantly superior security
User privacy priority
And lightning, which is superior to USB-C in every area except maximum speed

Plus the more subjective things like UI, services like AppleOne, etc.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
“Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.”
―Dr. Ian Malcolm​

• Disagree
Reactions: imnotthewalrus

dabrace1984

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
Allentown, PA
I am a long-time reader and rarely post but I have a situation where I prefer Lightning over USB-C: speaker-docks.

I get all of the popularity of wireless charging and wireless audio. I have had two speaker-docks (one was 30-pin and one is Lightning). I use them at work as one device for charging and audio at the same time.

Are there any good speaker-docks for cellphones that have USB-C?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.