Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Antennagate wasn't real because the return rate was 1.7%.

The problem may have existed, but the experience of the vast majority of users wasn't affected negatively.

I'm perfectly content to conclude, however, that the author of this article (as posted on TC) is about as reliable as Ed Bott.

I suppose everyone just imagined it then? I suppose I'm imagining the signal drop on my iPhone when I grip it? Get real. :rolleyes:

I know I was certainly affected by the antennea but seeing how it was not the biggest pain in the world to hold it different to make a call does not mean it was not real.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I know I was certainly affected by the antennea but seeing how it was not the biggest pain in the world to hold it different to make a call does not mean it was not real.

If it wasn't real enough to be a problem, then it loses all meaning. The market decided that.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Antennagate wasn't real because the return rate was 1.7%.

The problem may have existed, but the experience of the vast majority of users wasn't affected negatively.

I'm perfectly content to conclude, however, that the author of this article (as posted on TC) is about as reliable as Ed Bott.

Ed Bott reference made me LOL. Funny stuff!:D

kdarling

macrumors P6

It's getting harder these days to find any numbers that are reliable.

That article was based on a analyst statement by ITG Investment Research, who is known to be strongly pro Apple. Some usually neutral reporters actually accused them of wildly inflating the return numbers in this case to help Apple.

Samsung publicly responded at the time that the Tab return rate was less than 2%.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
If it wasn't real enough to be a problem, then it loses all meaning. The market decided that.

Real enough?:rolleyes:

It was real enough alright. The fact that I use my iphone for way more things than just a phone is why I put up with its very poor phone capabilities....but it was definitly real as my numerous dropped calls can attest

FrozenTomato

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Real enough?:rolleyes:

It was real enough alright. The fact that I use my iphone for way more things than just a phone is why I put up with its very poor phone capabilities....but it was definitly real as my numerous dropped calls can attest

1.7 return rate means it wasn't "real enough".

say whatever you want, but 1.7% is 1.7%.

btw, last quarter apple sold 20+ Million iPhones.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
1.7 return rate means it wasn't "real enough".

say whatever you want, but 1.7% is 1.7%.

btw, last quarter apple sold 20+ Million iPhones.

As was stated previously, that 1.7% is a doctored number. The fact that people do not return the iphone does not mean that a problem is not present, but rather they put up with it due to the other things that is offers. I know that is what I am doing.

But yes,you are right, the success of the iphone means that on the whole, people accept it very well. That does not mean that there is not a signal issue

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Having worked in the mobile phone industry at the HQ of a major European network that also has operations in the US, these figures are utter nonsense.

I never saw any phone or brand with a 30-40% return rate. Ever.

In the UK specifically, Android is on par (or ahead) of Apple, depending on what 'research' you read. Android is expected to continue it's growth globally. Just look at the non-biased stats to see how fast Android has been adopted in the last 12 months. It's easy to see why, Android is the OS on 100's of different handsets, from the very high-end of the market to the low end.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
It's getting harder these days to find any numbers that are reliable.

That article was based on a analyst statement by ITG Investment Research, who is known to be strongly pro Apple. Some usually neutral reporters actually accused them of wildly inflating the return numbers in this case to help Apple.

Samsung publicly responded at the time that the Tab return rate was less than 2%.

That is my though if the 15% was iffy at best as I pointed out then over doubling that number might as well be tossed out.

FrozenTomato

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
As was stated previously, that 1.7% is a doctored number. The fact that people do not return the iphone does not mean that a problem is not present, but rather they put up with it due to the other things that is offers. I know that is what I am doing.

But yes,you are right, the success of the iphone means that on the whole, people accept it very well. That does not mean that there is not a signal issue

1.7% and 30-40% are doctored numbers?? ROFL!

if i can't make a phone call on my iPhone, why the hell would I NOT return it???

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
if we go by my personal experience with iPhone 4, apple is in more troubles than android.
in about 2 months i had the iphone 4 i hat to return it once because of the known "zebra monitor problem" and once because of the other known "speaker problem".
in both cases the immediately swapped the phone with a new one so other than a little bit of time wasted it was a non-issue, but certainly the iphone also can have quality-problems.
and it was random, no drops water or anything that might have caused the problem

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
if i can't make a phone call on my iPhone, why the hell would I NOT return it???

Because antenniagate wasn't about not being able to make calls. It was about a massive loss of signal when you gripped your iPhone, sometimes resulting in dropped calls.

It's happened to me. It's happened to everyone with an iPhone 4. It's not exactly a reason to return it, you just hold it differently. It's more of a reason to mock Apple for them getting such a important but simple thing on a mobile phone device.

It is seriously laughable. But not really returnable unless you simply cannot adjust your grip on the phone.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not surprised. Junk OS + Junk hardware = high return rate.

My Nexus 1 phone was anything but junk hardware, it was an excellent phone. The Droid incredible was also a great phone. Moto's Droid x was OK, but it was lacking.

As for the OS, android is incredibly stable, powerful and extensible, Linux is a potent OS, so much so that it runs many of the servers of the internet. So Android based on Linux being called junk is misguided at best.

So many of the phones I used or came in contact were great and the OS is solid

RWinOR

macrumors 6502
Not surprised. Junk OS + Junk hardware = high return rate.

I can't speak to all Android phones, I have many friends who love theirs and seem to be somewhat trouble free.

However I can say I have had mine for less then a year, in that time it has been hard reset from the carrier 2 times, 100% replaced once, screen replaced an additional time. Now with the new 2.3 software I need to physically reboot it every few days as it builds up a lag and will not even answer an inbound phone call.

Counting the days to my contract end so I can move to an iPhone.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I can't speak to all Android phones, I have many friends who love theirs and seem to be somewhat trouble free.

However I can say I have had mine for less then a year, in that time it has been hard reset from the carrier 2 times, 100% replaced once, screen replaced an additional time. Now with the new 2.3 software I need to physically reboot it every few days as it builds up a lag and will not even answer an inbound phone call.

Counting the days to my contract end so I can move to an iPhone.

A horizontal business model will always produce more dodgy devices and products of varying quality by its very nature.

Licensing out your OS to everyone under the sun means you essentially lose control of your product. And there's a lot of junk out there running Android.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A horizontal business model will always produce more dodgy devices and products of varying quality by its very nature.
By the same token, it will produce a high volume of high quality devices as well. More does not equate to all junk, there are some excellent high quality phones. Capitalism is such that people will figure out the poor products and gravitate to the excellent ones. The Droid Incredible is just such an example.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
By the same token, it will produce a high volume of high quality devices as well. More does not equate to all junk, there are some excellent high quality phones. Capitalism is such that people will figure out the poor products and gravitate to the excellent ones. The Droid Incredible is just such an example.

Oh that's very good. Just be sure to add that as a little asterisk to the market share numbers upon next count.

FrozenTomato

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
This tickled me. The hardware in the top Android phones is vastly superior to that of the iPhone 4. So the iPhone is junk by your flawed ridiculous logic.

You need help.

better Hardware doesn't mean faster CPUs or more memory.

Better Hardware = craftmanship, design and elegance. Better battery life, screen,etc.

Why do you think Android phones have more memory / faster CPU than the iPhone? Because Android is a poorly designed resource hog.

Your theory doesnt apply in the smartphone business.

The 2 reasons why Android has a higher market share than Apple is because Android is in more carriers AND majority Of the Android phones out there are free/buy one-get-one deals/ $5-$10 100 mhz crap phones they sell in India, China and other third world countries where people use their Android smartphones as a "nice" feature phone. Most of these phones are still running older versqions of Android.

Majority of Android users use android phones because that's all they can get. A long as it can make phone calls, play some crappy games, etc. A lot of these people don't care about what phone they use.

Bottom line: Android has a bigger market share because majority of their phones are cheap and crappy.

Keyword: majority

Last edited by a moderator:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

The 2 reasons why Android has a higher market share than Apple is because Android is in more carriers AND majority Of the Android phones out there are free/buy one-get-one deals/ $5-$10 100 mhz crap phones they sell in India, China and other third world countries where people use their Android smartphones as a "nice" feature phone. Most of these phones are still running older versqions of Android.

Majority of Android users use android phones because that's all they can get. A long as it can make phone calls, play some crappy games, etc. A lot of these people don't care about what phone they use.

Bottom line: Android has a bigger market share because majority of their phones are cheap and crappy.

Keyword: majority

Do you actually have any proofs of what you claim?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Please site your proof that basic economic/capitalism rules do not apply or is this just your opinion based on your distaste for android?

dionnfr

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2009
Lewiston, New York
I'm so sick and tired of hearing how many Android systems are out there compared to IOS, the only comparison that exists is comparing the best selling Android phone by manufacturer to the iPhone, then we would know who is selling more, then you can compare the return rates by manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.