Android Signal Quality?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by nviz22, Aug 2, 2016.

1. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

Here is a synopsis from the S7 topic posting I recently made:

Welp, the last two days have been telling with the S7 so far. I think I made a huge mistake getting a Metro device and getting it unlocked. The signal quality has been tough to deal with, idk if it's my network or just the phone. Yesterday, calls with work were being wonky. Had to step out to just get a consistent signal which was weak. At work, dropped to HSPA+ and took like 2 minutes for a call to connect. At home, the phone cuts in and out under "cellular preferred" option for Wifi Calling. Very frustrated with having to use a home phone to get calls through, especially for work.

So I have signal quality issues I guess. Will try the iPhone out today to see if it's the signal or the difference in iOS vs Touchwiz/Galaxy. Which Android devices have the best radios?

I am looking at maybe ZTE Axon Pro, OP3, Nexus 6P, or something else below $500. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

2. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

In my experience (and a couple of friends), the Galaxy devices I've owned ( S2 thru S7, except S5, and Note 2 thru 5 ) have had exceptional RF. Especially, compared to the iPhones (which I've also always had since iP3G) and especially indoors.

Carrier for the past 2 years : T-Mobile. Prior to that AT&T for about 4 years, and VZW was the first to pop the mobile cherry!

3. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Yes they have. My bfs s6 found both wifi networks on the boat while my iphone didnt find anything.

4. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I've found the iphone lineup to always have slightly better and more reliable connectivity. Especially in those areas where I get 1-2 bars, the iphones just seemed to hang onto the signal much more reliably. In my house I only get 1-2 bars, normally my Note 3/4/5 would drop calls quite frequently but all of the iphones I've used only occasionally dropped calls. It's not a huge difference, but definitely noticeable.

5. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

What among the cheaper devices like ZTE, Moto, and OP3? I forgot to mention I have T-Mobile.

6. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I haven't noticed any difference between my iPhones and Android phones over the past few years.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Since iPhone 1, I have always noted that Apple's radios are weaker than other OEMs - even before Android/Samsung.

8. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

How are androids on the Verzion networks? I currently have the iPhone 6 and I was thinking about getting the note 7,maybe.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 8, 2016 ---
    It sound like I need to keep with the iPhones.

9. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I've found that Motorola and Nokia were always the king of reception. The iPhone has been great too since antenna gate.

Samsung is generally solid, but not as good as those other 3.

Have you checked to make sure the MetroPCS version has the band's you need?

10. nviz22 thread starter macrumors 68040

nviz22

Yeah, the bands were the same, just software differences.