Android Simulator

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by elppa, Dec 10, 2010.

1. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Does anyone have any tips to make speed this up from its slow as molasses state. Is it as bad on PC?

2. chown33 macrumors 604

1. Identify your basic machine stats (CPU, RAM) and OS version.

2. Run Activity Monitor.app (Finder.app > Go > Utilities).

3. Is it burning up all the CPU? Is it consuming all of memory? Is it swapping (Page ins & Page outs)?

4. What else is running at the same time, that you can quit?

3. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I'm not sure if that will help. The Android simulator is TERRIBLE on Mac on every machine I've tried it on. It's not too bad in Windows though.

4. elppa thread starter macrumors 68040

elppa

I'm using 2.3 Gingerbread in the emulator. All the animations lag. Button presses are slow to register. The keyboard takes ages to appear when clicking a text field. Click and drag scrolling is very laggy. I've used it before and put up with it, but I just wondered if anyone had any tips.

Thanks for your help ulbador. Unfortunately the answer is what I was expecting but not hoping to here. I might try it in bootcamp when I need to do this next. I'm just testing some websites. If that's how it is then fair enough, I can live with it, just about.

5. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I haven't really played with it since 1.5 or 1.6, but I know even then it was terrible. I can't imagine the newer versions of Android improving it.

6. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

Android is like that on phones too lol...

7. elppa thread starter macrumors 68040

elppa

Android Virtual Devices with 1.5 and 1.6 run fastest in my experience. You are right, it hasn't got any faster.

8. firewood macrumors 604

Any differences running the Android Simulator inside a Windows or Linux VM on a Mac?