Android Tethering + iPad Wifi

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by DVNIEL, Apr 5, 2010.

1. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

I'm already paying for 3 lines on T-mobile, paying another $30 just for this seems absurd.

I rooted my Nexus One to have my-fi like tethering and so far I'm enjoying it. The major trade off is that I'm sure wifi is not the most battery efficient way of using the Internet. But hey, there's always an outlet and cheap chargers out there.

My speeds are probably not the best, I think my upload is sometimes faster than my down. How else is everyones tethering experience?

$120 + $30/month for wireless use? Not for me.

2. cainnovacaine macrumors regular

cainnovacaine

Mine worked great. Upload was awful, but the download was consistently strong. It was about as fast as an iPhone 3GS, but that has a lot to do with location (I'm near Chicago and recieve HSPA+ speeds).

On a related note...

It's hard to find an HTML5/or/non-FLASH speed test web client... Do you know of one?

3. mj1108 macrumors 6502a

I have a rooted N1 also.... what did you use for MyFi-like tethering?

4. DVNIEL thread starter macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

I didn't go the cable route, my Nexus is rooted so I installed this program that lets you shoot out a signal so that phone acts as a wifi router.

5. mj1108 macrumors 6502a

What's the name of the program?

6. DVNIEL thread starter macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

You need to use the Cyanogen modified ROM for the Nexus. Then download apkinstaller from the Android Market, afterwards look for "Wireless Tether for Android" somewhere on google and you'll get download the program directly.

Slap the program on your SDcard and install it from there.

7. cainnovacaine macrumors regular

cainnovacaine

Wireless Tether for Root Users is an app that comes standard in Cyanogenmod 4.2+, but if you used some other method to root your phone you can search and try the .apk that is floating around the internets...

8. mj1108 macrumors 6502a

I've been running CM 5.0.5.3... grabbed Wireless Tether for Root Users...works like a charm! Thanks.

9. illutionz macrumors 65816

Wireless Tether for Root users or Barnacle app from the Market both works perfectly for me...

Rooted N1 w/ Cyan

10. cdesigns macrumors 6502

I have my HTC hero rooted and with wireless theter app, I get 1-2 mbps downloads speeds on my ipad thru my phone, Im on sprint network.

ATT will get you around the same speeds, tmobile is another thing, THEY SUCK sorry buts the truth.

11. DVNIEL thread starter macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

In a way I agree, but hey.. if it saves me $120 + $30/month... well worth it.

12. illutionz macrumors 65816

T-Mobile coverage is lacking but I live and work in fully HSDPA area and they're very fast :)

13. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

i have the att nexus one and rooted it and use the wifi tether as well. it was awesome and a great way to save $30/month.