Android to iOS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dwd3885, Oct 14, 2011.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

I used the iphone until the 3GS and then switched to android and the Nexus One. NOW, I feel like Siri and the camera on the iPhone 4S is just too good to pass up using this phone. So I need to know what lies ahead of me in the iPhone and iOS compared to Android. From those of you who have used both, any insights? I'm waiting for the 4S to come today.

2. FlakinJamaican macrumors newbie

The ability to use your phone away from a charger.

3. Mr Bigs macrumors 6502a

Mr Bigs

Your loss of choice and freedom.

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Not much considering the you've been using the "revolutionary" features of iOS5 on Android for over a year. Should be an easy transition except for maybe your eyes to the smaller screen and it should be easier to grasp if you have hands like a woman.

5. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

oh yea i know tell me about it. i'm going to try it out for a few days and if i can't handle it i'll gladly stay with android.

6. Picka macrumors member

You have a magical section that you can pull down at the top of the screen. It goes by the name of "Notification Centre". You won't have seen anything remotely close to it before.

7. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

yea i know! I'm looking for honest impressions though! I love sarcasm though :)

8. naples09 macrumors member

I'm sure that I'll get flamed for this but you will not see a big difference in use. Maybe a bump in operating speed. I have a D-Inc and the wife has a IP4, so I've used them both. Web pages open slightly faster on the IP4 vs. the DINC.

I like the apple user interface better, but my phone can do everything that the iPhone can....we are not heavy users just phone, text and internet mostly. For what we use the phone for they are pretty equal in terms of use. The IP4 feels more solid and better built. The DINC has a ton of plastic.

With all that said, I will receive my new IP4S today and the DINC is history. I like being able to use iTunes to sync all of our data. Much easier than with an android based phone.

9. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

thanks! I like people like you and me who aren't loyal to one brand or another, just use what we think is best! I think I will make a lot of compromises going from android to iphone, but i'm hoping it won't matter much.

10. climber20 macrumors member

Battery life was huge for me. My Droid Incredible had to be charged every night or it would die in the middle of day 2, and I barely use my phone compared to most people on these forums.

My iPhone, with similar usage, can go 3 full days and still have power left. I occasionally like to climb mountains (where wall outlets are hard to come by), so this comes in handy.

11. VydorScope macrumors regular

VydorScope

I am making the Android ->4s move myself and not expecting huge differences. My android phone is broken, so needed a new phone and decided to try this iStuff since I own a iMac, iPod Shuffle, iPod Nano and a MacBook... time to pull another device in to the ecosystem I think :D

But hoping the legends of batter life are true, my phone only makes it to about supper time these days :(

12. naples09 macrumors member

I'll second this comment. I charge my D-INC every night. My wife can go 2-3 days with her IP4.

13. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

i just buy another two batteries on ebay for cheap. i usually have to swap back and forth but it hasn't meant much for me on android. btw, I LOVE Android. I'm not quite sure about this move over to the iPhone again. I was just thinking if the camera is so good (and that's what I do most on my phones) and with notifications and siri now on the iphone similar to Android, the differences are very minimal now.

14. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

The one thing I REALLY missed going from a Droid X to an iPhone 4 was the loss of the dock/lock home screen. You need to jailbreak your phone in order to get this functionality. When I got my iPhone, I bought the dock as well and then brought it back when I saw how useless it was. Doing a lot of things from the lock screen was nice - not sure why Apple won't allow at least some basic functionality.

But overall, I like my iPhone 4 better, though not by a huge amount. The Android phones are evolving into some real competition for the iPhone.

15. Mr Bigs macrumors 6502a

Mr Bigs

That's the plus side of not having widgets or true multitasking.:rolleyes:

16. ripper998 macrumors regular

Isnt the lock screen meant to.....lock your phone? Whats the point of it if you can change things and do things from that screen. Oh thats right, droids are so big you can never fit them in your pocket so no fear of fat dialing people.

17. PhoneI macrumors 65816

- a good native email app. No need to buy a 3rd party app like Android
    - ability to have a keyboard thats usable. All Android keyboards stink
    - no need to shut off WiFi and Bluetooth to have your battery last a full day
    - lots of great games. Android has Angry birds

18. skaguyy macrumors newbie

will have to disagree about the keyboard...i will miss my swype and swiftkey

19. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Displaying the weather, a calendar, notifications, etc. are all things that make sense on a lock screen. Apple finally is show notifications here, something fan boys here mocked for a long time...

20. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

Im switching as well from the D-Inc. Not sure how you guys were able to make it through an entire day without charging. Mine has been giving me fits in the last few months. Especially in the last two weeks (like it knows it's being replaced). Overall I liked the phone, but have had problems with lag, especially when using the keyboard (Swiftkey) online at forums and such. I'm talking like an unbearable, barely usable lag at times. Anyway, there are far more problems Ive had besides that... I am looking forward to trying iOS

21. b24pgg macrumors 65816

I'm still using an OG Motorola Droid and I plug in my phone to charge once every 2-3 nights (srs)

22. SomeonePlzHelp macrumors regular

Yeah this. You wont have to plan your day around where the nearest power outlet is.

23. bigsexyy81 macrumors 6502a

bigsexyy81

24. chrislaw macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

wow, I would charge my Incredible overnight. Then i would charge it at lunch at work. Then sometimes in the car on the way home.

25. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I didn't have that bad of a battery with my old Droid X. It lasted a day without re-charging.