Android to iPhone space bar help

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by vikingjunior, Sep 29, 2016.

1. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

I'm coming from a long time run with Android and for the life of me I cant get the hang of the spacebar functions.

In Android when you're in the numbers section when you hit space bar it returns to letters and creates a space. Some Android actually have a dedicated numbers row. In iOS when I'm in numbers and hit the space bar it just creates a space no return to letters, this is driving me crazy. Thing is I drive for a living and use the phone extensively with GPS navigation. So I'm constantly inputting numbers and words and I'm getting all types of confused. I know there is the slide you finger across number thing which is good for one number but not 3 or 4 ( it just did it while I typed that last sentence)

Is there any setting to change this behavior or is someone going to tell me to go back to Android. Not Interested in 3 party apps. Thanks!

2. beernut macrumors 6502

that actually is the way it's supposed to work (hitting space after digits returns keyboard back to alpha). i tried just now on Notes, google maps, and apple maps and it works that way.

the weird part is, i then tried on safari -- in the URL bar, it has your issue (hitting space after number DOES NOT return to alpha) but works correctly in a field like the search field on google homepage. i switched over to device running older iOS (7) and it switches the keyboard, even in the URL bar.

seems like an ios 10 bug or a "feature" no one asked for

3. vikingjunior thread starter macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

Thanks at least I know I'm not nuts and someone else recognizes it.

4. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

I've noticed in some apps they don't support the "switch back to qwerty" function (for some reason), yet others do. I'm not sure if it's on purpose or a bug, but it can definitely be annoying. Especially since it's been a feature, just like tapping space after a period to automatically capitalize, for almost the entire lifetime of iOS.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, in iOS 10 Safari seems to have lost that functionality for some reason (hopefully it's just a bug that will get fixed), but other apps for the most part still have it as they had before.