Android user now struggling iphone user... need major help with iphone limitations!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cbracer, Dec 20, 2012.

1. cbracer, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012

cbracer macrumors newbie

So I'm a 2 year user of Android of an old HTC incredible. I really wanted the iphone 5 but now that I have it, there are a bunch of things that REALLY bug me about the apple product. I'm hoping there are ways around these issues but I think not, so I might go back to the dark side.

Can you help?

1. Whenever I hit a button or key, I have to hit the bottom half of the button or just below the button in order for it to work. Apple has created an angular attack directional hit on their screen. Does this make sense? as if you hold the phone upright or 90 degrees from the ground you would be looking down at the iphone at an angle. So when you hit the keyboard it looks like you're hitting the letter directly. You can't hit the upper half of the key or it won't work. The Android is exact and doesn't force this angular hit. I like to hold the phone 90 degrees to my eye and hit keys exactly, i'm an engineer, but it doesn't work so well on the iphone. Has anyone noticed this?

2. The keyboard is horrible compared to the Android. There is no 'comma' on the main page, not shift function and half the time no 'period'. I like to double space things sometimes so using the double space key for a period isn't my style. Is there any other keyboard that offers more functionality that the build in iphone keyboard?

3. The keyboard has only sound or no sound feedback. My android had a soft vibrate. Any chance of that on an iphone?

4. The tile placement won't stay where I want as it automatically fills the screen top - right - bottom. Meaning I can't have empty spots in my page. For my home screen I like to have the icons wrapped around the screen so I can see the wall paper picture I choose. Can't seem to do that?

5. never mind, solved this one.

6. There are no widgets? For example, the clock is just an icon and the clock text on the notifications is so small. I wanted a dual sized icon to show the time, guess that can't happen? And a widget to turn on/off the wireless to save the battery when I don't need it, or maybe I shouldn't worry about that.

7. The navigation buttons while in an application are located on top of the screen, not the bottom. This means you can't hold the phone with one hand and operate it. Also when you go to hit the buttons you hand covers the screen. I really miss the 'back' button on the bottom of my Android.

8. In the email app, I can't find a way to select/mark all emails as if I wanted to delete a whole bunch at once I have to click each one one by one. Any way to mark all emails? It's easy on the Android with the menu button.

9. There is no menu button for the apps. Almost like you have to find the options for the apps differently ever time. And most of the settings for the i apps are all under settings, they can't be adjusted from inside the app. argh...

10. How do I set up contact groups? I don't like to use the 'favorites' rather I want 'work' 'friends' 'family', etc. Surely there is an easy way to do that? My contacts icon brings up everyone in my contact list. When they are set up, how do you choose which group to view in the contact?

11. When doing talk to text instead of the keyboard I have to hit the 'done' button. With Android I just stop talking and it processes. Any way to remove that extra step?

12. HDR doesn't work with the flash, so you can't keep the automatic flash on and HDR at the same time. Guess I'm asking for too much here. I'd like it to use the flash when needed and HDR when no flash is needed. oh well can't have everything. The camera has almost no options compared to the Android. Guess I need to download an app?

13. When I'm viewing photos it takes 3 screen taps to get a photo deleted.... my Android was either 1 or 2.

14. It remembers where you were last time. What I mean by this is if I'm in the settings and say 3 levels deep, I change the setting then want to go back to my app. So I hit the home button and get to my app, but when I go back into settings I have to hit 'previous' 3 times for each level to get back to the main menu. I'd love for it to always go back to the main level each time so it will save me time and taps. I'm sure some people like it going back to where you were before but adjusting settings is more of a pain.

So all these things are small I understand, but they are so frustrating to see how much better Android is for useability for an engineer like myself, (PC guy too not a mac guy). If anyone can help me with these things I'd like to be an iphone guy.

2. AndroidBlows macrumors member

Go back to Android. These are many iOS shortcomings that some cannot live with or without.

3. -Concept- macrumors member

From a guy called "Android Blows." :cool:

4. stock28 macrumors member

Sounds like the iphone is not the phone for you. If you are within 30 days take it back and exchange it for an Android. There are some really nice Android phones out there now that would meet your needs.

5. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

No offense, but you sound like a major troll dude. You should have seen this coming from miles away before you switched from Android to iOS. And I'm an android guy. As for maps you can download the android maps from the App Store now. As for everything else you just need to deal with those limitations or go back to android. Apple likes to keep things simple.

The only good thing is you can resell your phone for 500+ bucks and get something like a Galaxy SIII or Note 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A48A4J5qpYA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I love Apple products, but the iPhone is for people who like to keep things simple. Ex. Text messages, quick internet browsing, facetime with the fan bam, etc.

My setup: Galaxy SIII as my phone. Nexus 7 for bedroom reading, and an iPad 2 32 GB with AT&T for everything else but usually stays in my living room. I do wanna try an iPad mini though.

6. cbracer thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not a troll, I even own apple stock. I want to use the iphone and looking for solutions to the annoyances I listed above. Was hoping people here could help me. Why are android guys reading iphone forums? I got the google maps as mentioned in my post and am happy with it. The Note 2 and Samsung phones are quite large, so I'm leaning towards the Razr M or another motorola phone. But I still like some stuff about the iphone and would love to convert to it. Thanks for your response.

7. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

What do you like about it?

8. irDigital0l Guest

Really, there isn't way around to some of your solutions.

If you honestly want to be satisfied go back to Android and wait to iOS 7 to see if Apple fixes anything.

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I've never noticed it. I can tap anywhere within a button or key (within reason, of course) and it works fine.

10. cbracer thread starter macrumors newbie

The size of the phone is small in comparison to samsung so it fits nicely in my pocket. The voice quality, speaker phone, itunes link are all positives. facetime is important. the quality of apps are all better than android. I don't use a google email so that is sometimes a problem on the android. And I like the look better, and resale value.

11. cbracer thread starter macrumors newbie

If you turn the phone to the side and look at the center of your finger where you push in relation to the keys, then you can see how it triggers from the center down but not at the top. I'd guess about 20% below the key up to 60% of key height. I played with a iphone4 and it did the same thing.

What really bugs me are the short horizontal sliders. Then work great from left to right, but from right to left they are off to the left by half it's width.

12. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Yeah, the touch targets seem perfect in iOS, never had a "mis-touch".

OK, cool, I wasn't grilling you, just curious about your motivation for going with an iPhone ... those are certainly compelling reasons, and some of the reason I'm on an iPhone (the wife too).

I have an engineering type background, I'm a developer, architect, and I'm a big fan of Apple products, especially when you get several and see some of the nice interoperability between devices. I've got Android devices sitting right here, I've owned several, and I prefer the total package with my Apple gear. As I pointed out in another post just recently, I've got multiple platforms running here, multiple flavors of Windows, Linux, OSX, various storage systems, etc., so I'm open to what I feel like services my business and/or makes things easier for me :cool:

So let's see if I can help with any of this:

1. See above :)

2. I like the iOS keyboard, and I've used vanilla Android, TouchWhiz, Motoblur, Swype and several skins on Android. I think with some use, you'll like it as well, and the adaptive key layout (based on what you're doing) make a ton of sense. You can turn off the "." shortcut if the double space is getting you and simple type the . key

3. Nope, just audio "tick" or not.

4. It's automatic, but you could always just put 3 icons on the main page, then put all your other apps in folders on the second or something like that if looking at your wallpaper is that important. There's not much user control in the Springboard, page, location in the auto-arranging grid, folders and wallpaper. I'm personally fine with this, YMMV.

6. There's a clock in the header menu and a big clock on the lock screen. I personally don't miss widgets very much, but I tend not to constantly be switching on/off services, and always seemed to need to go into a full app to really be productive vs. the "UI light" provided through the widget interface. I totally hear you though if you do need to access some service controls all the time ... in fact, the one really simple UI element I miss on Android is the swipe the notification bar to adjust the brightness.

7. That's just the nature of the UI, I never much cared for my Android devices with the physical back button that was sketchy and hard to find in low light. I'm a big fan of Apple UI decisions for the most part vs. Android, it's one of my major drivers for return to/staying with Apple.

8. Just like photos, edit>>select/multi-select>>delete , or left-to-right swipe to being up the delete (or archive depending on the account email service), or you can delete while you're reading each one. How often do you have some use model where you purge all email from a whole mailbox? I probably get as many emails as anyone here, and the options provided work great, and if I'm at my computer, I can purge a whole email box if/when that need comes up.

9. Setting page or setting icon in app, seems pretty simple

10. Via a computer, it's a notable omission, especially with iCloud where contacts sync, they simply need to allow group creation/sync.

11. Well,you have to push a key to start it, I guess it figures you're already dealing with the keyboard, and the DONE is a HUGE button :) Or you could use Siri to go totally "hands free", no start, or stop, or even selecting the messaging app.

12. It's either HDR or flash, if you turn on HDR flash is off, it turns back on when you disable HDR (or simply turn it back on which disables HDR). There are some camera apps with more sophisticated control like Camera+ (which is excellent, timer, lots of controls, auto-push to social networks, editing, etc., like $0.99). Maybe since HDR takes multiple shots at different balance settings (and combines them in a post-process), the flash would create some kind of funky effect. I know when I've done HDR with my DSLR, it's never with a flash.

13. Yeah, in the camera roll view it's edit>>select (multiple select)>>delete, in the full view it's a single tap (trashcan). Seems intuitive?

14. Yep, that's by design, most (all?) iOS drill down menus are persistent. Sometimes it's helpful like if you're setting up a WiFi config and moving in/out of an app back to the settings.

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Do you mean landscape mode? Still not seeing that issue.

14. Yester5 macrumors regular

Yester5

Tapping the space bar twice will automatically insert a period and a space.

15. cbracer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response! The keyboard angle issue seems to be not so drastic on the keyboard but still is on some apps. It's really strange, but on some it's very apparent. Maybe I'll post a video to you tube showing it. To be specific, look at the small sliders for turning things on/off. Go into settings the slide the "do not disturb" slider from left to right. Then when going right to left you have to start in the middle and go past the left end of the slider. Of course hitting the center without sliding your finger is quicker, but the sliders make it look like you can slide them, which you can exactly when left to right, but the right to left is horizontally challenged by half the slider length.

2. The '.' key is only on some keyboards like when messaging. On others it still isn't there even when turning off the double space option. I use a lot of commas so constantly going to the other screen.

6. The big clock on the lock screen is good! I'll get over this one.

9. The information or option buttons in many apps are very small and hard for me to tap. So the menu key on android was always easier and it's always in the same place. Many apps have their options button in all different places.

10. So I can create contact groups on my computer in iTunes? At least there is a work around, though I'm sure I can't delete the Favorites group?

11. Yeah started doing that but it almost takes longer sometimes.

13. It still takes 3 taps to delete a picture. Intuitive sure but I guess there's no way around it. I'd love to have the edit options always shown!!!

And the latest one I found, the stocks page shows the stock price and either % or $ of change not both. My android showed both % and $ change. Maybe there's a better stock app anyhow. Though Yahoo Finance is pretty decent.

16. petey2133 macrumors member

I can live with about 75% of those initial issues, but the thing that bothered me the most was the noise cancelation while driving. Made me feel like my ears were full of water. Sold my iphone5 and went with the note 2.

17. cbracer thread starter macrumors newbie

The keyboard isn't too bad. I find it most noticeable if you go into the Settings main screen, then play with the slider on/off for Do Not Disturb mode. Hold the phone in portrait not landscape but turn it so you're looking at the side profile of your finger hitting the button. It works from about -20% below up to 60% of the height of the button. You can also see how the slider works correctly from left to right but is offset when sliding it right to left. Yeah it's quicker to just tap the center rather than move the slider.

I'm also having just general trouble tapping at the top of the screen in facebook. I have to hit really light about 5 times before it registers. Heavy taps never register.