Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perdibond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2014
Hi,

I have a Samsung S8, i am an andriod user from sgs1.

I wan switch to IOS, and don't want OLED display (yes, my S8 has burn in display) sometimes lagging and no updates of SO.

My question is buy a used iPhone 7 Plus and wait for Next generation o just buy a new iPhone XR?

PhilC67

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2018
Hi,

I have a Samsung S8, i am an andriod user from sgs1.

I wan switch to IOS, and don't want OLED display (yes, my S8 has burn in display) sometimes lagging and no updates of SO.

My question is buy a used iPhone 7 Plus and wait for Next generation o just buy a new iPhone XR?
Like you , I was Samsung all the way decided to make iPhone move.
Go with XR.
I've found it to be best smartphone user experience ever had.
Smooth IOS zero lags with OUTSTANDING battery life screen on time over 8 hours.

Boltface

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2018
NC
I switched from a 6P to the XR last week. It was time to move on from the 6P and I decided to make the leap to apple. Never been an apple fan. The XS cost too much and was too small. I'm pretty much set up. OK Google is a swipe and click away(Actually I don't even say OK Google anymore), all those apps on the home screen are gone, folders on the dock, Gmail etc. Never liked the apple home button so that is gone thankfully. And like everyone says battery life is great. I've been going two days recently. Yesterday at the end of two days it was at 38%.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I would buy an Xr. If you’re not happy with the S8 and have used android for many years and are dissatisfied then you might as well give the iPhone a try. The Xr is reasonably priced and a good bet.

aldo82

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
I would recommend the XR from that choice. I recently switched for a XS Max after many years with top of the line android phones (last iphone was the 4). I am really impressed and all the talk of iOS being boring and limited etc. is a non issue as its all new to me. iOS has come a long way since the iphone 4. I am really impressed by the fluidity, speed and most of all battery life. Battery life completely puts any android phone I have had to shame. And I hear if anything the XR should be even better

Boltface

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2018
NC
Keep in mind that the return period is two weeks so get one and if you don't like it and think you can't adjust to it just take it back.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I would get the XR - you have colours, even though I went for the relatively conservative white one, I always wanted a white iPhone. And the battery life on the XR is phenomenal.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Buy a refurbished iPhone 8 Plus. The XR was designed as a compromise from the ground up. The 8Plus was a top of the line phone. (7 plus too).
You clearly have never used a XR. It's a fantastic phone and crushes the 8+ in more ways than one. The only "compromise" made was not using OLED and that's barely a compromise.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
You clearly have never used a XR. It's a fantastic phone and crushes the 8+ in more ways than one. The only "compromise" made was not using OLED and that's barely a compromise.
If you’re coming from an android phone the XR is a good first iphone if you’re willing to forgo the OLED display.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
If you’re coming from an android phone the XR is a good first iphone if you’re willing to forgo the OLED display.
Unless you're a spec hound or a pixel-peeper, you're not going to notice the difference between the OLED and the Liquid Retina on the XR. There's plenty of comparison videos that prove it's not worth paying the extra $$ if the screen is your only consideration. Also, from my personal experience Haptic Touch is far better than 3D Touch.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Unless you're a spec hound or a pixel-peeper, you're not going to notice the difference between the OLED and the Liquid Retina on the XR. There's plenty of comparison videos that prove it's not worth paying the extra $$ if the screen is your only consideration. Also, from my personal experience Haptic Touch is far better than 3D Touch.
Well I can tell the difference. However if you’re used to a Samsung display the Xr might be quite dull in comparison.

Also 3D Touch is far more functional.

Reactions: decypher44

kargurin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
Coming from the S8 you'll notice the big change in resolution. Not a big deal so much on graphics but small print will be harder to read. The S8 screen is excellent. I came from an S8+ and also owned a the iphone 7 plus.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Ah yes. Totally forgot about that. It's another feature that I've only used as a demo and never in a real life situation.

This is not to say it's a worthless feature. I get that everybody's use case is different.

I find it worthless to be honest. I wanted to like it but my thumb is usually in the way for 'peeking' to be of much use and 'popping' is just a gimmick. I do use 3-D touch and I admit to liking it but more for the novelty rather than any functional reason. If haptic touch/long press can eventually accomplish all of its functions (and it's pretty much doing that now), it really is just a gimmick that can go away. I'll mourn its loss for a few moments and move on.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.