Android Wear can't compare! Loving the Apple Watch!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by NJRonbo, Apr 26, 2015.

1. NJRonbo, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015

NJRonbo macrumors 68000

I have been into smartwatches for a few years prior to the Apple Watch.

I originally left the iPhone after 6 years to go with the Samsung Galaxy phones simply because I found Apple's screen too tiny.

During that time I tried out two different Galaxy Gear watches.

Their devices are very large/clunky. However, they did enable me to understand the need for and fall in love with smartwatch devices.

Samsung's Android Wear relies on Google cards to alert their users of incoming information. Seems kind of archaic compared to what has just been introduced. Their newer Tizen devices have a different alert system, but I didn't like it as much.

When Apple first announced their watch back in October of last year, I immediately dumped by Android phone and went with the new iPhone 6 plus. It was obvious to me that Apple had done their homework on smartwatches. Samsung was simply releasing as many watch iterations as they could hoping *something* would stick to the wall. I believe they created a confused market for anyone looking for a smartwatch.

What Apple has done with their first watch is light years ahead of what Samsung had accomplished. Apple has given us a more beautiful device, with a better screen and UI.

Of course, Samsung has accomplished the task of allowing their watch users to use their device untethered. Whether this is a big deal for Apple owners at the moment is yet to be seen, but I am assuming sooner or later there will be an untethered Apple Watch announced.

In the meantime, from someone that has used other brands of smartwatches, I wholeheartedly feel that Apple has once again trumped the market!

2. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Well, it's good to hear from people who use both but it's clear that the wearable products need Apple to push the category forward. I'm so dying to see what Apple has in store for us at this year WWDC. Watch OS 2.0?

3. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I've not used any other smart watch but when Apple announced theirs last year it was clear that it would be the best smart watch on the market. However as Apple spent the past 2 + years watching what everyone else was doing, copying and perfecting you wouldn't expect anything less. However I will say after having received and used my Apple watch, I will give Apple credit because they certainly did get it right. The watch is sublime!!!!

4. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Just out of curiosity, since you've used multiple platforms, what's your opinion on Google now cards compared to Apple's glances? From what I've seen, they pretty much show the same information, although they are implemented very differently

5. NJRonbo thread starter macrumors 68000

If memory serves me correctly...

On the Android Wear, the cards are just pieces of information.

On the Apple Watch, clicking on that information actually opens the app to display further content. In addition, images are brought to the screen as well. For example, the CNN app displays pictures of news information such as the recent earthquake disaster.

Seems much more sophisticated on the Apple Watch.

6. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Yeah, I think we'll see a major software update for the Apple Watch at WWDC too.

7. spinstorm macrumors 68000

It sounds like you never really used Google now properly to me.

So this is my take. I have had quite a few android wear watches and my current android wear watch is the Asus zen watch.

But I also am very excited to have a SS Apple Watch that I pre-ordered and got yesterday. They both have strong and weak points.

I'm going to ignore build quality here as Google relies on the manufacturers totally to build the watches and none of them come close to apple yet. There are some cool more premium wear watches coming including a tag heur watch. However right now I do love the feel and look of quality on the apple watch.

Software wise it's interesting.

Google now always knows what is happening around you. It will tell you transit information, things to do, appointments etc based on location and Google using your calender and email to scan what is happening around you. It's a fantastic feature and one I miss on the apple watch. Also hands down in my opinion Google has better voice features and is smarter and more accurate than the apple watch.

Where it falls down is on the design language of apps. The apps are ugly, they don't have consistency and they are hard to get to. Google is addressing some of this with its new wear software update this month but it just isn't as enjoyable an experience as using the apple watch.

Interesting as well is the fact android wear doesn't let you make or take calls on your watch. Google thought it was gimicky.

I am very impressed with my apple watch. I think it's got lots right. I'm exclusively wearing it now but I'd love to see Google bring their apps to it.

Attached Files:

8. NJRonbo, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015

NJRonbo thread starter macrumors 68000

I completely forgot about Google Now. Yes, that was a very good aspect of Android Wear. And it is something sorely missing from the Apple Watch.

However, I do agree that the UI is not as slick as it is on the Apple Watch. I think Apple still puts Android Wear to shame in most every other regard.

Thanks for chiming in.

9. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Can you swipe away the glances when you are done with them or are they persistent notifications? (I'm not talking about removing them with the companion app but rather, hiding them when you don't need them, like Google Now.)

10. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

thanks for your insight. I've used a lot of Android devices and was eying the Moto 360 for a while (almost pulled the trigger to buy several times!). However, none of the hardware was ever compelling enough to make me pull the trigger. I do agree with regards to Google Now, at least on an Android phone. I used Google Now all the time (and the voice search) compared to Siri, which I only use to call someone or set a timer for my oven ;) I really wish Apple would make Siri better... able to understand what I say better (like Google Now can) and have her access more apps/information and be integrated like Google Now.