Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Hi guys,

Following the announcement from Google that Android Wear (watches) will now support iOS, I thought I'd create our own thread where we can discuss this.

Please feel free to share your experiences, videos, photos, videos and any discussion here. Hopefully it'll be useful for those contemplating on getting an Android Wear watch or other device make an informed decision on whether it is right for them.

:D

Related: MacRumors article

Reactions: Oohara

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
To kick it off, I'd like to ask if anyone has had success with the Moto 360 on iOS yet and how their experience is so far?

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Oh man, that is pretty big.

I really like the Zenwatch 2. Haven't seen it in person to be honest but it looks a lot thinner than the Apple Watch.

As things stand with Watch OS 1 my Apple Watch is so incredibly slow to do most things that are any more advanced than setting a timer and dismissing notifications that it's kind of like it can't do them at all. In real day to day use, I'm not sure I'd be missing out on a terrible lot of functionality if I switched to an Android watch.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....... Well played, Google.

Now if only someone came out with a slightly more old school digital watch looking Android watch, think 80's Casios, that would just seal the deal immedately.....

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
To kick it off, I'd like to ask if anyone has had success with the Moto 360 on iOS yet and how their experience is so far?
Works fine... just make sure it's running AW 1.3 (5.1.1) and it will pair.
After that it's just a simple matter of setting up what notifications you wan to see on the watch.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Works fine... just make sure it's running AW 1.3 (5.1.1) and it will pair.
After that it's just a simple matter of setting up what notifications you wan to see on the watch.
Have you used an Apple Watch as well and if so is there anything that you feel you're really missing when using the 360 with your iPhone?

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Have you used an Apple Watch as well and if so is there anything that you feel you're really missing when using the 360 with your iPhone?
My wife has a 38mmm Apple Watch Sport and I've had plenty of time to use it.
Not a fan of the design, but the functionality is extensive.
There are plenty of things it does that the 360 can't mainly due to 3rd party app support.
Hopefully this will be added to Android Wear on iOS in the future.

It also doesn't support replying to emails or messages from Apple's native apps either.
Hopefully this will be added in the future as well.
You can reply to GMail emails via voice response.

Really though, I have only used my 360 for viewing notifications, so this is good enough for me for now.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I got the Android wear app on my iPad, just because I can. Don't really plan on getting an AW watch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.