Android wins out over Iphone in future

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by simple20, Mar 2, 2011.

1. simple20 macrumors regular

[​IMG]

Surpised to see this, as I thought apple would surely win. Does this deserve its own thread? Hecks yes.

2. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

On mobile devices:
    Front facing camera, Android did it first.
    dual core processorAndroid did it first.
    High resolution display, Android did it first.
    4 inch and larger screen, Android did it first.
    Android is the leader and Apple follows.
    NFC, android did it first

Nothing new on iPad that Android hasn't done already.

3. simple20 thread starter macrumors regular

I was posting a joke, just kinda sharing a funny picture. And I don't really know a whole lot about phones as my iP4 is my first smart phone, but interesting post. Thanks

4. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

name one Android device that does all of these things

5. milani macrumors 68000

milani

This conversation could go on and on. But how about we just enjoy the funny picture?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're calling out all the android fanboys with this thread:D
    Yes, many other phones out there did videocalls, copy and paste and many other things years before the iOS.
    Apple just perfected the experience and did them nice, easy and simple to use.
    Specs dont mean much IMO if the software sucks.
    You can have tons of megapixels, processor power and biggest screen but if the OS is clunky its going to fail kinda like the way android phones did and do try to immitate the iphone but not really getting it.

7. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

I thought the iphone was the first phone to have a 'retina display'

8. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Indeed. Google doesn't make the phone. It bought the guys who made the OS. HTC. Motorola. They make phones.

9. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

Sure Apple is always late on hardware. That's who they are. You're forgetting that Apple created what we all know as an app store/ marketplace... whatever you want to call it. You're precious android doesn't exist today without ios paving the way.

Apple CREATED the modern day smartphone. Notice how every other phone looks eerily similar to the original iphone.

10. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Actually, neither Apple nor android did any of these things first.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Androids belong in space, Apples belong on Earth.

12. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

actually, and this is just a personal thing, the only thing android over iPhone has IMO is ability to be easily sim unlocked. I have left iPhone 3 times to come back to it simply because in the mobile space the formula is reversed. Apple gives you a better and fulfilling experience. I am just peeved over the complicated IMEI lock procedures. We need normal Sim locking that can be 3rd-party unlocked. I had to buy a new dumbphone handset while traveling simply because my carrier is the only one able to unlock the phone and they refuse.

Sure I could pay a premium for an unlocked one from Apple store, but if it is not from your country good luck getting support. And simple unlock > software/$100+ unlocks.

13. Savor Suspended

Savor

Front-facing cameras has been around alot longer and were found on Nokia smartphones. The rest of the hardware development, I agree. Apple has to cover one ENTIRE year which is a long time in cell phone technology.

Having an army of OEMs and coming faster than Jason Biggs in American Pie, Android will always have the advantage. It carries a double-sword sword just like Apple. It has fragmentation and lacks consistency/cohesiveness, but when it comes to pushing cutting-edge hardware, it will offer the best of its class. NVIDIA is part of the OHA Alliance and looks to give Android access first to all their chipsets within the next four years named after comic-book heroes. Imagine an SE XPERIA PLAY 4 or 5 with real dual analog sticks and Stark by 2014-2015? Leave the 3DS and NGP at home!

I personally think Android on phones is a glorified WinMo 6.5. Ugly, laggy, and cluttered. I still prefer iOS, webOS, and WP7 more. But I applaud Matias Duarte for providing a different experience for Android tablets with Honeycomb. And Android is becoming what PC is for desktops. PC had a huge advantage on gaming over Macs. Sony's PlayStation Suite allying with Android along with the constant hardware evolution will push Android over iOS in that area.

What keeps iOS ahead is software development. They are like PlayStation 2. That console wasn't technically superior over Xbox 1 or GameCube, but it had the 3rd party support which gave it diversity in library. Apple can always go back to selling iPhone like they do with Macs. Low volume sales still equals to high profit margins from high prices. Apple will never beat Android in volume sales. People are fickle. They want different form factors and need multiple price points. Everybody has different needs. My younger brother owned three different iPhones including the current 4, but he would have been content with RAZR V3i from 2006. He doesn't use all these gimmicky apps. Give him a smaller form factor, a music player, and text, and he is content. I don't mind downgrading a bit for my next phone either. People have to ask themselves, what do they really need? What are the basic necessities? Even Noah Kravitz (former-PhoneDog, current TechnoBuffalo member) carries around a Nokia dumbphone when he gets tired of these smartphones trying to do too much. Give him a music player on a phone and he is happy. Back to the basics.

If you think about it, all these smartphones are practically doing mostly the same exact thing, but with different prices, apps, and an OS on there. But Android phones can always look different and priced differently which has mass appeal.

14. hippo206 macrumors 6502

Android is a OS, and all the stuff you talk about is hardware...

You mean company X did it first? Because google certainly did not.

15. Savor Suspended

Savor

There was a time when Sony was on top of the world with Walkman and PlayStation. There was a time when Nokia innovated by giving us quad-band, 3G, video calling, etc. Then they stopped innovating. Even Nintendo rehashes the same old franchises and uses short-sighted gimmicks.

Apple revolutionized the cell phone industry, but eventually others copied their ideas or even surpass them in some areas that made Apple just another face in a crowded field. Now Apple is not going anywhere. They will be bigger than Exxon by next year. But there will be a time where they start sounding like a broken record no different to all other companies that were top dogs before. There is a decline in anything, including financial gain and personal health. You run out of fresh ideas and you start rehashing older ideas after that.

16. jgdemeris macrumors newbie

It is not about who does it first, but who does it better.

17. Thadon macrumors member

One thing I have never understood. If you like Android why do you read/post in the iPhone forum. I understand you can like Macs and not iPhone but why would you both going into the iPhone other than trolling...

Anyway that image is funny lol.

18. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

Seriously? Android didn't even do any of that stuff, Android is an OS, that's all hardware.

Maybe we should throw out all our belongings because they aren't the first iteration?

Why don't you throw away your phone and buy one of those 80's bricks so you can have the "first" cell phone since being fist is all that matters to you?

And remember, there wouldn't be all these giant Android branded phones and iPad copycats if Apple hadn't led the way.

I find it amazing how easily some people are fooled by marketing pr, just because a commercial says bigger is better doesn't make it so. Who gives a crap who did what first as long as the device you use makes you happy? Should we all cut our wrists because some company squeezed a dual core chip in a plastic phone before Apple did? We heard the same whining this time last year, the Evo was the latest iPhone "killer" and Apple just couldn't compete blah blah blah. Then the iPhone 4 came out and everybody forgot about the plasticky Evo. Same thing will happen this summer.

19. Savor Suspended

Savor

Apple would never beat Android If it came down to an arms race. NVIDIA showed a roadmap that makes iPad 2 look obsolete before it even arrives next week. Wait when Kal-El (Superman) gets unleashed this year for an Android tablet running Honeycomb. By the time Stark arrives in 2014, Android could be so far ahead of the game when it comes to raw power. Go on YouTube and check out the BlackBerry PlayBook running two Flash videos in the background. iPad can't even run one in the foreground.

But like Apple's MacBooks that are underpowered, Apple will try to be #1 in other areas like OS stability, UI polish, industrial design, and customer service. Gaming has a better future with Android than iOS just like Windows had over Macs. Google's alliance with NVIDIA, Sony, and many other OEMs is a huge advantage.

If it came down to an arm wrestling match, bet on the little green robot. Andy has the muscle, but the delivery can sometimes stutter and lag. It always comes to what you are looking for. I'm looking at neither. Both popular but becoming overrated, played out, and cluttered with "fast food-style" app consumption. iOS is getting stale and boring. Android still lags, controlled by carriers, and still fragmented. The time I may switch to Android is if I get an unlocked Nexus phone or if SE or any other OEM gives me a kick ass "PlayStation Certified" gaming phone. By 2014, I say it will happen. XPERIA PLAY is still version 1.

WP7 or QNX for my next devices. I don't even like Microsoft, but they went for something different. QNX looks like webOS on steroids. Still barren but both seem pretty fresh. Like iOS was to me in 2008 when I jailbroke it and all apps were FREE from Installer (pre-Cydia). Give me a phone with a smooth multi-touch web browser, some decent games, necessary apps, and can store all my songs, videos, and pictures, and I'm fairly content.

In these next few years is about different OSes exploration and not about being with iOS forever and ever. I can see Apple still rehashing the same things. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Heck, Nokia milked an outdated Symbian for years and they are still #1 in global volume sales as of today. The more success happens, the more arrogant and short-sighted you become that you end up always playing safe and make $$ that still works for you.

Apple is like Quentin Tarantino. Cool for a time, overrated by their fanboys, but short-sighted. I love Pulp Fiction, but QT seems like a one-trick pony. Same with the Nintendo Wii was for core gamers. Novelties that are considered innovative at the time do wear off.

20. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

Galaxy S 4G!

Nexus S

HTC ThunderBOLT

Moto Atrix

21. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

No wonder Taco Bell is the gourmet restaurant of the future..

22. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

Let's compare products that aren't even set for a release date to something that is coming out next week.

Let's compare a road map, which is like reading the future, to current plans from Apple that are being implemented right now.

I am sure if Apple has a road map, it would best every other competitor, just like they do currently.

You can't deny Apple is one of the greatest technology companies to ever exist. Doing so proves ignorance, and makes any opinion that much less real.

My next tablet will either be the iPad 3 (depends on major OS overhaul for a lot of things), HP TouchPad, or RIM PlayBook. My next phone will either be iPhone 5 (pending same issues with iPad 3 // OS), HP Pre3, or BlackBerry Bold Touch.

23. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

You can't compare Android to Apple at all... Android SHOULD be way ahead of Apple but they aren't. Why should they? Because they have a new device coming out every other week.

Apple has released 4 phones. iPhone first generation, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. That's it. Just 4. Android on the other hand has a new phone coming out every other week that makes the one you bought last weekend obsolete. If you need to release 30 phones a year and you are STILL not able to catch a company that makes one phone a year, then something is wrong...

24. Eric374 macrumors 6502

Eric374

This forum needs a "like" button...

25. zenio macrumors 6502

Facts:

1) iOS & Android are quite different

2) Each has Pros & Cons

3) Both are Excellent in their own way.

I have lots of experience with both, and always carry one of each. There is nothing but fun to be had.

Declaring one vastly superior, is to be narrow minded.

Declaring just one or both as your favorites makes sense.