Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Senior vice president of Apple Retail, Angela Ahrendts, today tweeted out an announcement for a new "Today at Apple" session focused on app prototyping for aspiring developers. News of the session arrives as Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference comes to an end today, after first kicking off with a keynote in San Jose, California on Monday.

Ahrendts describes the new program as a way to help app makers get started with prototyping, which she describes as "one of the most important steps of the design process." The session itself is based on a popular talk from WWDC, and events for the prototyping lessons will begin at Apple retail locations later in June.

AP_keynote_2017_wrap-up_Angela_Today-at-Apple.jpg

We're launching a new #TodayatApple session to help aspiring app makers get started with one of the most important steps of the design process -- prototyping. The session is based on a popular #WWDC talk. Sessions start later this month https://t.co/NMAVfZrdT3 - Angela Ahrendts (@AngelaAhrendts) June 8, 2018
Ahrendts has spearheaded Today at Apple sessions since the program expanded globally in May 2017, after originally beginning at Apple's flagship store in Union Square in San Francisco. Today at Apple offers free sessions to teach skills in photography, videography, music, coding, art, and design, all using Apple products like iPad and Mac.

You can find Today at Apple sessions near you by visiting the company's website, although it appears to be too early for the new prototyping sessions to be listed.

Article Link: Angela Ahrendts Announces New App Prototyping 'Today at Apple' Sessions Coming Later in June

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
It seems nobody likes her on Macrumors forum.

If you listened to her trying to make Apple Stores into a meeting place like Starbucks you would understand a lot of people's criticism of her.

She has done a nice job redesigning some of the stores in big urban areas so they look nice. However, her grand vision of it being a meeting place or "town square" seems crazy to me.

Reactions: Ragnar51

codydale

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2014
Missouri
Ehh, Tim please get rid of her already. She has done too much damage, by converting Apple into a fashion brand from a tech company. Leading us to iPhoneX which costed an Arm and a leg.

First of all, please understand associate roles and what they are responsible for and what they are not responsible for. Secondly, she had nothing to do that with the pricing or development of the iPhone X in any way, shape, or form. Thirdly, she has designed and implemented an even greater appeal (both aesthetically and functionally) to one of the greatest retail stores of all time. That is what she is responsible for and why she is an asset to Apple.

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
The type of people who take issue with that are also generally the type of people who buy everything online anyway.

That is certainly a good point. I edited my post you quoted to include "She has done a nice job redesigning some of the stores in big urban areas so they look nice. However, her grand vision of it being a meeting place or "town square" seems crazy to me."

I still have to go to the Apple Store for repairs though. Nothing is ever truly online. Then again, I am in the suburbs and not in a major urban area where I can literally walk to an Apple Store. Whereas in the suburbs they are buried inside a mall.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ehh, Tim please get rid of her already. She has done too much damage, by converting Apple into a fashion brand from a tech company. Leading us to iPhoneX which costed an Arm and a leg.

Why would Tim Cook “Get rid” of Ahrendts? What has she done deserve your statement? Be specific. Seems she is fairly successful within Apple And from some of the stores my area that were in need of a redesign, her workmanship behind the scenes have been excellent in the retail area.

It seems nobody likes her on Macrumors forum.

Why would would it matter what anyone thinks of Angela Ahrendts on the Internet? As if that’s supposed to be concerning or something? Reading your comments come I genuinely don’t believe you understand her role within the company or her accomplishments.

Reactions: martyjmclean

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Why would Tim Cook “Get rid” of Ahrendts? What has she done deserve your statement? Be specific. Seems she is fairly successful within Apple And from some of the stores my area that were in need of a redesign, her workmanship behind the scenes have been excellent in the retail area.
A lot of people here are permanently stuck in the '90s, where Apple is primarily a computer company, computers were a club for outcast nerdy boys, and computer stores looked like this:

RJ1oYP8.jpg

Accordingly, they're supposed to be staffed by wizened neckbeards, not pierced hipsters, an a fashionable woman being in charge is completely unfathomable.

(Also, the irony being that Apple's biggest customer base back then were creative professionals and hipsters, not nerds, who generally loathed Apple.)

Last edited:

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Someone’s stolen her shoe laces.
Does she only go places where it might rain so she can wear a Burberry raincoat?
And because she's a woman, the top two most up-voted comments are about how she looks / what she's wearing, instead of the information she is imparting.

Other comments blame her for the features of the iPhone X, which she likely had zero input on (it's not her area), and suggest that she doesn't know how to code (based on what, that she's a woman? that she's blonde? you don't appear to have much other information to work from) - neither you nor I have any idea whether or not she knows how to code, and knowing how to code isn't necessary in order to simply understand that knowing how to code is a useful skill (I don't know how to do brain surgery, but I'm quite aware that it's an extremely useful skill).

Her part in this is, she oversees Apple's stores, and she's announcing classes at Apple's stores - that seems infinitely reasonable: she's not going to teach the classes, she's arranging for them to be taught at Apple stores.

Way to go, MacRumors Forum Mob, your work here is done.

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
With countless millions of apps already in the App Store, and zillions of struggling developers who already know how to code already, does the world need yet more developers? Of course not. One of apple's big revenue streams is developers and they want that number to grow into the billions if possible.

pankajdoharey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2014
Oz town, Jade City. Mars
First of all, please understand associate roles and what they are responsible for and what they are not responsible for. Secondly, she had nothing to do that with the pricing or development of the iPhone X in any way, shape, or form. Thirdly, she has designed and implemented an even greater appeal (both aesthetically and functionally) to one of the greatest retail stores of all time. That is what she is responsible for and why she is an asset to Apple.
Yada Yada Yada, how do you know any of what you just said? She did pricing and branding of Burberry coats, what you think is her role at Apple? If she is not useful get rid of her anyway.
[doublepost=1528508527][/doublepost]
If you listened to her trying to make Apple Stores into a meeting place like Starbucks you would understand a lot of people's criticism of her.

She has done a nice job redesigning some of the stores in big urban areas so they look nice. However, her grand vision of it being a meeting place or "town square" seems crazy to me.
I did and i dont like her too.
[doublepost=1528508710][/doublepost]
And because she's a woman, the top two most up-voted comments are about how she looks / what she's wearing, instead of the information she is imparting.
None of the criticism is because she is a women. Any pretentious person will get the same treatment as her.

Reactions: Huck

pankajdoharey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2014
Oz town, Jade City. Mars
p r e t e n t i o u s

7z8OS2H.jpg
The guy you posted build Apple from scratch not just once but twice!

Let me show you what leaders are respected irrespective of their gender
She is Lisa Su, CEO of AMD. Angela on the other hand is a Newyork based upscale "Raincoat" Seller. Apple is not a upscale Raincoat manufacturer nor is it a Highend fashion retailer. They just make great usable tech which arguably has great aesthetics aswell. Angela is useless chump nothing more.

Reactions: Huck
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.