Angela Ahrendts Departing Apple in April, Deirdre O'Brien to Oversee Retail and People

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 5, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's retail chief, Angela Ahrendts is set to leave Apple in April after spending five years at the company, Apple announced today.

Deirdre O'Brien, Apple's current "Vice President of People," is set to take Ahrendts' place. O'Brien will be taking on new responsibilities for Apple's retail and online stores in her expanded role as Senior Vice President of Retail and People, reporting directly to Apple CEO Tim Cook.

[​IMG]

That's not quite the same role that Ahrendts currently holds as Apple's Senior Vice President of Retail. O'Brien will focus on the connection between the customer and the people, and the processes that serve them.

In her new role as retail leader, she will also lead the People team and will oversee all People-related functions, including talent development and Apple University, recruiting, employee relations and experience, business partnership, benefits, compensation, and inclusion and diversity.
    In a statement, O'Brien said that she is looking forward to working with Apple's retail teams moving forward.
    According to Apple, Ahrendts is leaving the company for "new personal and professional pursuits." She first joined Apple in 2014 and has headed up Apple's retail initiatives since then, overseeing the launch of redesigned Apple Stores and customer experiences that have been rolling out across the world over the course of the last few years.

Ahrendts was formerly the Chief Executive Officer of well-known fashion company Burberry, and prior to that role, she held positions at Liz Claiborne and Donna Karan. Cook said that Ahrendts has been "inspiring and energizing" for Apple's retail teams, and that Apple wishes her the "very best."

Ahrendts said that the five years she spent at Apple were the most "stimulating, challenging, and fulfilling" of her career.
    As O'Brien takes over for Ahrendts, Apple has more than 35 online stores around the world and 506 retail locations across five continents. Apple recently rolled out an expanded series of "Today at Apple" workshops and classes, another initiative begun under Ahrendts.

Update: Here is Cook's internal memo about the announcement, obtained by Business Insider's Kif Leswing:
    Article Link: Angela Ahrendts Departing Apple in April, Deirdre O'Brien to Oversee Retail and People

2. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

She thinks she can do more. More power to her.

3. Attirex macrumors 6502

4. Superhappytree, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019

Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

Ha! So goes the rumours of her becoming the next CEO. I’m really glad that won’t be the case.

5. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

Well judging by posts here on MacRumours this news is going to make many people happy…
    :rolleyes:

6. twocents macrumors regular

twocents

7. Klae17 macrumors 65816

Klae17

8. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

So much for the theory that she was going to eventually be the next CEO of Apple.

9. vistokid macrumors 6502

Got RICH(ER)!

10. AngerDanger, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Going to miss her incredibly dry Keynote delivery. Where will they ever find somebody so—wait, just slap a wig on Cook and it'll be like Ahrendts never left.

Cookgela.gif

11. TComm macrumors member

12. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

I hate going into an Apple store. Just picking up an online order is a pain. Saw zero improvements under her direction. Next!

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68030

yaxomoxay

Not.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 5, 2019 ---
    Agreed. In my opinion it got worse.

14. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

She was never going to be CEO.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68030

yaxomoxay

(Vice) President of People sounds quite Orwellian....

16. GubbyMan macrumors 6502

GubbyMan

I never liked Angela Ahrendts, it’s finally time for her to go. I know she was just responsibe for the stores and not actual product design but I feel like she brought this feeling that Apple devices had to be luxury items with high prices.

17. now i see it macrumors 68030

When Angela came in, the horizon was wide open for Apple Store possibilities (which was why she was hired). But at this point, years later, the existing and new stores now follow a formula. Really boring stuff actually. Nothing creative to accomplish. At some point in all of our lives we've got to reflect on what the heck we're doing with the rest of our life... and stamping out cookie cutter Apple stores seems like a dismal way to plod through it.

I often wonder why a lot of other multi millionaire Apple executives continue working at that place. I guess it gives them a sense of identity or keeps their mind from wandering, cuz they're certainly no longer doing it for the paycheck.

18. PlayUltimate macrumors regular

PlayUltimate

not upset in the least. . . . like many others, the experience worsened while she was here. I believe Apple Retail suffered under her "leadership." Granted the stores are still somewhat busy. The joy that was felt when I entered an Apple Store does not reverberate as it once did. Maybe, I'm just old; it just does not feel the same.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 5, 2019 ---
    There are lots of people that work for the joy of making a difference or creating something. (Warren Buffet) I'm happy that she is moving on. . . it just never seemed like a good fit for her. Most of the executive leadership has been around for awhile and obviously enjoy doing what they do.

19. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

When she’s in, they say Tim has no spine and won’t fire her. When she leaves it’s because Apple is sinking and she saw the signs.

20. Canezmd macrumors member

Seriously, in 5 years what did she do??? The stores are exactly the same, just with worse service. Everyone who works there is overworked, you have to wait forever to get any help. It's a horrible experience.

21. Jimmy Bubbles macrumors 6502

Jimmy Bubbles

Talk about a revolving door...gonna miss those big hands & shrugs in the keynotes.

22. lunarworks macrumors 65816

I guess she felt she did as much as she could. People like this bounce from company to company, excited for new challenges, rather than managing the boring day-to-day.
    That wasn't going to happen. It was just scare-mongering for people unhappy with Apple's upper management. She was like a bogeyman for them.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68030

yaxomoxay

I appreciate your half full glass view, but can anyone explain what she did in five years? I mean tangible things for us customers.

24. Pepe4life macrumors regular

Pepe4life

Good riddance, going into an Apple store these days feel like such a hassle

25. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

A welcome change. Apple stores have not changed for the better during her leadership.