Angela screwed up again...launched iPad with no accessories?!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yalag, Nov 11, 2015.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

Angela screwed up again...launched iPad with no accessories?! Who would have thought that's a good idea, seriously? No pencil, no keyboard, plenty of iPads in stock. WTF

2. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Can't argue with that, amazed how few keyboards or pencils were available.

3. fanta88, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015

fanta88 macrumors 6502

I'm not a fan of Angela either, but to be fair she has no control over the supply chain. And though there haven't been any press reports of constraints, supply chain issues would be my guess.

Put another way, I hardly think there are secret warehouses filled with pencils and keyboards.

4. sevimli macrumors 6502a

Few??? Zero in Chicago area...

5. Moi Ici macrumors regular

I have to agree.
    Went into an Apple Store today and even though they were selling the units, there were none on display. I asked about that and was kind of given a shrug "who knows". "Maybe tomorrow". That is VERY unApple like. It wasn't a case of this particular employee, I've come across a difference in overall store attitude of late. Either way too friendly (over enquiring) or distracted.
    This lady has come from a top fashion house, is supposedly "top in her game" and clearly being well compensated. I'm not sure what she has contributed. The physical store and lay out are the same. Oh, one thing. The watches are under bright lights in a glass case and you have to bend and shift position to see beyond the glare of the glass.
    Anyway, I had been thinking today that something different has happened to/in the Apple stores and not in a good way. Plus, can't stand the getting up in the middle of the night to order.
    Rant over.

6. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

True, my stores said they got a couple, but sold and didn't go to in store pickup people like me. Think they went to business orders.

7. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

Actually, it's a screwup of supply and logistics, the COO is to blame for this. He is responsible to make sure the factories can supply the items on the launch date and make sure the items get to the right places at the right time. This is what Tim used to do before becoming CEO.

8. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

No it's not actually. I'm not saying Angela can magically make these things out of thin air. But the experience just out right SUCKS. It's like she doesn't care at all. There's a thousand things she can do. Train the employees. Tell them what to say. Give each store at least ONE unit so you can demo it. How about that?

9. az431 macrumors regular

The lack of accessories may not have be entirely her fault, but the lack of display devices and the lack of knowledge on the part of store staff regarding availability certainly is.

10. KojiH macrumors 6502

From the Apple Watch release debacle to this lackluster release things aren't going so smooth.

The AppleTV release was also kind of strange with the preorders being shipped and delivered several days AFTER they were readily available in the stores.

11. fanta88 macrumors 6502

If we're griping about the lack of sales staff training regarding the devices and their availability (or the policy affecting people ordering an iPP + pencil + keyboard for store pickup, only to have their entire order canceled because the pencil and keyboard aren't available), then yes it does fall to her. But it seems like more people are bothered by the fact that the pencil and keyboard are not available for purchase and show 3-4 week ship dates. She has little say in that.

But hey, I think she's been a pretty mediocre executive so far, I'm unsure if her background at Burberry was a good fit for a tech company, and the last few product launches have not helped her cause.

12. dblackwood72 macrumors regular

There were none on display at the store I went to today as well, even though they were being brought out from the back for purchase... A very Un-Apple like product launch!

13. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Really insane, especially given that it's ordered out to December online.

14. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

The apple store I went to, had ONE iPad Pro casually laid out in a table of iPad minis and iPad airs. It was like a prototype they found in the backroom and just brought it out. There was no area dedicated at all. No signs no nothing. Literally just a slab on a random table. It was kind of hilarious of a launch if you think about it.

How was it setup in your apple store?

15. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I demoed it. According to the rep they weren't expecting release until Friday. Angela has no control over the supply chain. Stop blaming her. Pencils weren't promised at the same time as iPad. Pencil orders are backed up.

16. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

Apparently the Apple Store near me did have a few pencils available for display and purchase but one went missing. This mean those accessories weren't even tethered down.

17. Atomic Walrus, Nov 11, 2015

Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

I'm starting to wonder if the Pros weren't actually supposed to be available today in store at all. There were reports that it would be Friday for in store sales, and I've heard from multiple store employees that they expect accessories on Friday. A number of stores were also not selling to walk-ins, instead telling them to order online and come back to pick up.

18. d28z28 Suspended

d28z28

I'll chime in with my two cents. I think it's unbelievably odd that the accessories aren't available with the product. These aren't passing accessories like different colored smart covers or something - these are the legs that the iPad Pro stands on that makes it "Pro". These were MAJOR focuses of the reveal of this product.

Apple releasing these without the accessories says one of two things: either they're too disconnected to know that purchasers would be very disappointed (and disgruntled) that they couldnt get these accessories yet - or they just don't care.

Either way - I can't believe the Pencil and the keyboard aren't available. I can't wrap my head around what Apple is thinking about this one.

19. d28z28 Suspended

d28z28

Possible but unlikely. How many times has an Apple Store gotten their iPhone stock in a day or two before release? Those stores know damn good and well not to accidentally start selling them early. Seems like this time Apple just didn't care very much for whatever reason. In my personal experience this is probably the worst and most confusing product launch Apple has had. You've got people going into stores and the staff has literally no idea what to do with them. Compare this to an iPhone launch. This wasn't even like a launch at all. A huge number of stores don't even have display units out. I just can't figure out why Apple did it this way.

20. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I realize it's fantastical speculation. That said, the key point of my theory is that the error would not have been on the retail end, but with the online store allowing in-store pickup as an option today. And then once you've opened that gate you can't turn back, even if it was a mistake. Some stores were refusing to sell to walk ins and saying they had to order online even if they had lots of stock, which strikes me as extra strange.

21. d28z28, Nov 11, 2015

d28z28 Suspended

d28z28

That does make a lot more sense. That would also explain the stories we're hearing about staff literally not knowing what is going on when someone comes in and asks for an iPad Pro. Stories about not being able to walk out with one without an online order - so you walk out of the store, order on your phone and walk back in to get it....WHAT?!!?

Call me crazy but they're starting to make me miss the days of just standing yourself in line for a few hours. That was simple. You knew the drill. Most dedicated got theirs first. This waking up in the middle of the night to check and see if it's even for sale and not having a clue if you can actually have the stuff when you go to the store - Apple is getting freaking crazy with this now. Getting a product has never been so downright confusing and exhausting. We're all just tired and pissed by the time the thing reaches our hands.

22. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I'd love to know who makes the decision on when something goes on sale and when it ends up in stores? Is it Schiller? Is it Jeff Williams? I'm guessing it's not Angela Ahrendts. It's like amateur hour. And I feel bad for store employees. I'm sure they hate looking like a bunch of clueless idiots when customers come in. When I returned the TV I bought online because I picked one up in store the store employee actually looked embarrassed as he was processing my return.

23. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

The reason for the short delay is Apple wanted to provide consumers with the absolute best product imaginable. As others have said, they have re-engineered the packaging to alter the contents to improve the overall out-of-box experience. This will have cost Apple both time and money. No other company would do this for customers.

I am confident Apple will be getting pencils into the hands of the majority of customers who want them by the end of the week.

24. Teach4 macrumors 6502

Teach4

I went to pick up my iPad pro order at an Apple Store. I found out earlier that the pencil and keyboard I had also ordered at the same time had been cancelled. I showed them my order and told them I hadn't cancelled the orders and had not been notified of the cancellation. They got the manager who told me there had been a "glitch" on the website. It was not supposed to have given the option of store pickup. They received pencils and keyboards but they were for demo. He even showed me an email supposedly sent from Apple informing managers of the glitch and not to fill accessory orders for iPad pros. Apple cancelled people's accessory orders and supposedly are going to "try" to contact affected people to offer them some sort of deal. I haven't seen anything yet and doubt that I will. I am disappointed with Apple.

25. Teach4 macrumors 6502

Teach4

Short delay? My foot. The manager I talked to said he had no idea when they would get any beyond their demo ones in. Apple screwed many people over with their "glitch".