Angry at Apple : Now has Matte Screen for 17" inch !

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fab5freddy, Jan 12, 2009.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Now Apple has added a Matte Screen version for the 17" inch MacBook Pro !

What about all those people that wanted a 15" inch Matte Screen version ??

I am angry that i just bought a 15" inch Macbook Pro 1 month ago !

I really wanted a Matte version.

Do you think i can complain and get it swapped
    out by paying the price difference ??

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you bought less than 14 days ago, you can return your computer, pay 10% restocking, and then pay the difference to get a 17" matte.

3. jim.arrows macrumors regular

Not to be a jerk, but WHY did you buy glossy if you really wanted matte? That's the exact kind of thing that reinforces Apple's behavior. You could have bought either a refurb matte (if you absolutely had to buy something when you did and require OSX) or you could have sent them feedback demanding they offer a matte option or you weren't going to give them your business. Buying something you didn't want just tells Apple to keep doing what they've been doing. If people would refuse to buy until Apple offers what they want then we'd all be a lot better off. I want a unibody 15" with matte screen and until they offer it I'm not buying, it's really pretty simple and I've told them as much at their feedback page.

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I guess he could still deal with the glossy but just preferred matte. Well now he has a chance to do it.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Not to be blunt, but then you should have waited until rev 2 (the 17") came out to see if Apple would add it because of complaints.

6. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

As Jim Arrows pointed out. Buying a glossy screened MBP when you didn't want glossy just helps Apple figure that they can change your viewpoints of a product. I think it is really sh**y that Apple has done it this way. I was planning on a 15" before they were released, but decided against it because of the glossy only screen. I also think it's sh**y that Apple would expect people who don't want a glossy screen to pay an extra $50.

At least Apple can rest assured that I will not be buying laptop hardware form them any time in the near future.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I understand the OP though, I really wanted a matte as well but the new 15" unibody mbp was already out and its the newest shiniest thing so I over looked the glossy.

Personally I dont mind the glossy (now I like both gloss or matte as they both have their own strengths) but I really do miss matte and I am thinking about the 17" hi res matte as well. :p

8. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

FYI...It's not even a pure matte screen either. There's still glass on it in front of the LCD. It's just got an antiglare filter installed as a 50 dollar option...which IMO they should offer for free.

The only way to get a purely matte screen is to use that screen swap service that was mentioned.

9. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

I'm pretty sure there's no glass. Prove me wrong otherwise.

10. BrokenE macrumors regular

I agree with the others on the point of not buying what you really didnt want. However, I say yes, try to return it and throw a hissy fit if they don't accept it. Then follow through with an angry email to Steve Jobs and if you don't mind throw in a bitchy word or two about the stupid micro display port. At least this way Steve starts to get some feed back on their backward ways. Well, lol, isn't backward ways typical apple? I mean, there's a lot of people that are so desparate to jump ship from microsoft, but then apple does stuff like this and does not help their case not one bit. Sorry for the rant. I hope you get what you are looking for, Good Luck.

PS, if they dont take your MBP back, another option is of course to sell it on ebay and then go buy what you want.

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

It is a matte screen and there is no glass in front of it.

12. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Sometimes you just have to take the best available option, and if you want a portable with a large screen and OS X, up until now the 15'' MBP was about the only option. I do wish they would offer this option, it seems a lot of people would go for it.

13. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

The OP is angry at apple for providing an option that he really wanted? Just when I thought I had people figured out.

14. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

When the 17" matte buyers have loads of fine scratches from cleaning and cumulative finger oil stains seeping into the grain of their screens, permanently disfiguring the appearance, I'll be wiping my 17" glossy screen back to pristine glass perfection each and every time.

Any guesses at the numbers of people who will be here in 6 months time, telling us how they wish they had bought glossy instead of the matte they thought they needed so badly? No doubt some will be asking if it's possible to get the glass fitted as a $50 extra.

15. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

FYI... that's totally wrong.

16. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I would assume... not very many. I have a matte MacBook Pro and have absolutely no desire to buy a glossy screen version of it. And just so you know, I do have laptops with both types of screens so I have extensive usage with both :)

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It appears you have little or no experience with Apple matte screens. My matte screen looks the same as it did when I first bought it, as I'm sure many do.

18. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

I've had a matte-screened Powerbook for years, and I had the last generation 17" MBP (matte) for a couple of weeks before taking it back and getting the iMac, with the idea of waiting for the new MBP before replacing the laptop. Now, thanks to my experience of the iMac, I wouldn't go for anything else but the glass screen. However, the previous generation of coated gloss screens (horrible) were a different story.
    My original post was meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek, by the way.