Angry at iPhone Software Update Process!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MacVault, Apr 1, 2011.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

Ok, what is going on? So I have an iPhone 4 with iOS 4.2. Today I got to work and decided to upgrade to iOS 4.3.1. So I plug in my iphone, iTunes launches, says there is a software update for the iPhone, I say download and update, it tells me I should first copy my purchased apps to my itunes library and then says 'are you sure you want to continue?' OR Cancel. Question, does the continue button backup my 'purchased apps'? Or must I hit cancel and go do it somewhere else? If so, where do I do it? This really leaves me confused and unsure of where to go? When itunes recommended to copy my purchased apps to itunes library does it mean to do a 'backup' or a 'sync' or what? I cannot find a copy option.

So I just decide to at least backup my iPhone. It takes a while. Finally finishes. So then I tell iTunes to download and install the iOS software update to the iPhone. I unplug the iPhone thinking surely iTunes is smart enough to save the downloaded update for later when I return and plug the iPhone back in (since I'm on a 1.5Mbps service and the 666MB update takes hours). So, I wait patiently, finally see it hit 666MB, and here is where I get REAL MAD - get this - the download I'd been waiting so patiently for just dies! Yes, it says the connection timed out or something!!! :mad:

So, I figure I'll give it another shot. But this time I choose the iTunes option to only "Download" the update thinking I can install it later when I return with my iPhone. No! After literally hours of patiently downloading 666MB I return only to see the same 'connection timed out' error! Now I'm VEXING IN ANGER LIKE A FUKISHIMA MELTDOWN!

Either I am doing something wrong (and I'm not a novice - I am a network admin for a wide area network covering the west coast) or Apple really dropped the ball on the end user experience for iPhone software update process?!!! I really think it is the later!

:mad::mad::mad:

2. JamesMB, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

There doesn't seem to be any way to resume an update download in iTunes. I was downloading one the other day, on my laptop, and with about 30 mb to go, my wife closed the lid on the laptop, and I had to start over. It's a royal pita, but that's the way it is.:mad:

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you are a network admin you would know to do your personal stuff, such as downloading large files and updating our device at HOME.

Or maybe troubleshoot your network?

4. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Where did I ever say this was "personal stuff"? My company CEO fully supports my updating of my iPhone. Company even reimburses my bill! So, there's no issue with me doing this at work.

5. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

I've had trouble downloading from Apple lately, a lot of random connection errors, I think it might be something on their side.

Be glad you can at least attempt to get an update, AT&T/Microsoft will probably never release an update for Windows Phone 7 on my Samsung Focus :mad:

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I hope you smacked her around for that. ;)

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Don't use iTunes. D/l directly from apple. DFU and press option+restore to open the d/l file.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I’m wondering how she got out of the kitchen in the first place.;)

9. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Yes, and wait 5 extra hours for your data to be restored and re-synced over.

Stop whining and deal with it. It's bad, but it beats that DFU mode. 1 hour downloading + 1 hour upgrading is better than 1 hour downloading + 5 minute restoring + 5 hour syncing. However, I do agree Apple should download iOS updates in the same manner iTunes purchases are downloaded.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, she deserves a spanking:D

11. Twiddles macrumors newbie

IPhone updates

:confused:

Why make every phone or pad update by downloading? I have done this several times now and every time I have to re-download the software frankly it's as annoying as any BSOD I ever had to deal with. Also why have a pause download button if it doesn't pause but instead STOPS and will not allow resume?? Are so many users now making Apple just like the other guys?

12. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I don't yell at iTunes for screwing up the upgrade. I do the sync at night, so it's no skin off my nose.

13. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

At least you don't have to use beta versions of iOS. You people do updates every 4 months or so, but I do it on a near-monthly basis, and it gets quite annoying to do the restore-sync update method...