Angry Birds & Battery Life

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheGarreth, Sep 24, 2010.

1. TheGarreth macrumors member

Just curious - I recently downloaded Angry Birds (VERY addictive game btw) and I'm noticing that my battery ticks off about 10% for every 25-30 minutes I spend playing it. Is that normal?
    FYI: Wifi/Bluetooth/Push/Notifications/Location Services - ALL off. Brightness at about 40%.

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I'd say its normal man, youre playing a game, and game is going to eat battery....just enjoy it man, really nit picking about battery life is so dumb(unless it is really just god aweful and faulty)

3. TheGarreth thread starter macrumors member

Good point but it's funny that you should say that - one of the reasons I'm curious about battery right now is because last night while I was out, my phone was sitting at about 98%, an hour later (it's been sitting in my pocket that whole time) I look and it's at 87%...which struck me as really odd, to say the least. It seems to be ticking off normally since then but I'm still rather curious as to whether I should be taking it to an Apple store and having it looked at.

4. mpossoff macrumors 68020

How much battery do you get in an hour when surfing and such besides playing games?

I seem to be 10% battery with 45-50 minutes have constant surfing.

Marc

5. TheGarreth thread starter macrumors member

Good question - I'll check that out as I don't spend much time surfing; what I also notice is that I'll lose 2-3% for a 10 minute phone call as well...

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

In my experience there seems to be day to day inconsistency with battery life.

Marc

7. unbroken macrumors newbie

My experience has been if your phone is searching for WiFi it can run the battery down some too. You might want to turn that off when you are out of the house and stuff. Also, do you have anything like Skype running? I have heard it can use battery as a multitasking app, but I am not sure.

8. mpossoff macrumors 68020

When I was at the apple store recently I asked about my battery. She said my battery could be better. She said to turn off wifi and 3G and set brightness a hair below 50%.

Worked great. Then I had a lose sleep button, went back to apple store and begged for them to repair it. I was extremely happy with the battery. They said it's better to exchange it.

Now this phone battery doesn't seem as good.

Marc

9. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I've played quite a few games on the iPhone and I have to say, Angry Birds is one of the worst games WRT battery. Evne though it is a somewhat simple game graphics wise I guess it does take a bunch of computational power to do all the physics calculations.

10. vslo macrumors regular

Wait until some charge cicles... Its tends to get better after the first weeks or so. Its very rare to have an faulty lithium battery. You´re probably OK

11. warrmr macrumors regular

If you think angry birds takes a lot of juce out of your battery you need to try and play Command and Conqure. That really really takes the piss with battery life.

12. Trat macrumors regular

My god... playing a game uses up battery life? So that's whats decreasing that percentage in the upper right corner. I also watch Youtube on my iPhone? Think that will decrease battery life too? I will open a thread for it and see if anyone else wants toe 'chyme' in...

13. TheGarreth thread starter macrumors member

Attached Files:

14. lush242000 macrumors member

lush242000

Everything uses battery life. I know people want to maximize it, but if you turn off everything, what is the point of having the phone to begin with?

15. TheGarreth thread starter macrumors member

Some of us are just curious as to which apps/processes drain battery life faster than others...for those of us who spend a good part of our day out & about without a charger, this sort of thing is definitely of concern.

16. vslo macrumors regular

17. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Most battery problems are not necessarily anything wrong with the phone. When you are worried about the battery, how often do you unlock the screen to check the battery status? This screen drain alone can be a issue. I know when I first jailbroke, my battery took a HUGE dive. Of course this was because I was on the phone a ton of the time downloading and installing crap.

Of course playing a game, particularly a physics based games with the screen on is going to have a pretty detrimental affect on battery life. You are spending 25-30 minutes with the screen on playing what is probably a pretty processor intensive game.

Now if you were losing 10% every 25 to 30 minutes when the phone is just sitting there doing nothing, you might have a problem.

18. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

My 3 yr old recently found angry birds. He'll open the 3 different versions we have on the iPad, but then not play them The battery can go from 100% to 5% is less than 12 hours.

19. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

If it is more than 10hr then you are good. 10+ hours is the advertised usage time for an iPad. Just sayin.

20. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

No I mean in standby it will sap the battery within a day. Normally we can go 2-3 days of him watching a movie hear and there or Netflix for a couple hours. But with Angry Birds in the background, especially when he opens 2 or 3 versions the battery is dead from a full charge by the end of the day.

21. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

Best thing I have found to improve my battery life is turning off the battery percentage in the status bar. Its 88%* perception and you simply won't notice minor changes to battery level anywhere near as much if they don't have a number attached to them.

*made up statistic.

22. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

It's all that data they're sending to the NSA in the background.

Seriously though, 5 hours of gaming time is normal battery life.