Angry Newbies everywhere!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Arisian, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

I seriously cant believe how many seriously pissed new people there are on these forums! Geez, settle down people! Your ipod is NOT bricked! I swear. Also, word to the wise. The search function is fantastic! :D

2. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

hahah, it happens man... it's to be expected, especially from people who own iPods.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

This should be made a sticky. Mainly because it tells people to SEARCH THE FORUMS.

4. bwanac macrumors regular

5. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I search the forums but I also think that some of the newbies are just trying to get their post count up.:) I also think that many of them could be Windows users that you know just need to complain about something that doesn't work:cool:

6. Bung macrumors newbie

The term "Bricked" is getting thrown around far too much for my liking ... It should only be used when a product can no longer be used and is unable to be put back to it's original state therefore resembling a brick. Not when you can't get a hack to work or you don't know how to restore a product back to it's original state.

If you mess something up somehow instead of posting about how you're so and so is bricked SEARCH for a solution to see if it's really "bricked" you're bound to find people who ran into the same problems as you and you're bound to find a solution

7. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'd love to jailbreak mine but I'm too stupid at that sort of thing without someone holding my hand step by step :eek:

8. Nohg macrumors member

Have you checked the giant topic that holds all the JB Guides? They all hold your hand, in fact with the pictures included in one of them it's like having both hands held!

9. solyd macrumors regular

Ignorant much?

10. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

that is very true. Many who own an iPod have no idea why there is a picture of a bitten apple on the back of their iPods. Many don't care, for that fact. They just have the iPod because their friends and their friend's friends have it. Oh, and because they have 20 songs that need 30 GB of storage space.

That was my attempt at sarcasm, btw. :eek: sry if it was mediocre.

11. druranium macrumors member

It seems like a lot of people on this ipod touch thread are windows users. I use both. Xp is not all that bad if you don't cram it full of garbage. But back on point, yes, calm down everybody, relax and search. Anger will get you nowhere.

12. codingmonkey macrumors member

I agree 100%. It's really annoying to keep reading about bricking this and bricking that. It's even more sad when reputable tech news places start using it.

Also, aren't there forum admins? They should just close and delete all repeated threads...

13. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

An iPod Hacking forum would be quite nice so that we could resume the peaceful Touch forum posting that we enjoyed prior to the jailbreak notes.

14. bwanac macrumors regular

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/

though this forum is decent too. :D

15. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

I meant on MacRumors, since it's inevitable that users are going to post about hacking their iPod here. Might as well separate the two topics. :p

16. SuperDaddy macrumors member

Hell yes. When a "general" touch forum gets this clogged with so many posts about such a specific sub-topic......there needs to be a change made.

I'm not against jailbreaking the touch, don't get me wrong. I plan on eventually doing it, but gimme a break. This forum is too thick with jb'ing stuff right now.

Also, this is one of the least moderated places I have ever been. That can be good for the social aspect, but it sucks for things like duplicate posts and threads.

17. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

The only thing that annoys me about this out-of-nowhere raid of newbies is: like 9 out of 10 of them use PCs! And all the apps and guides they post are PC only... argh so annoying. It's ok though, my iPod is 100% hacked (summerboard and all...)

18. lena macrumors newbie

Here, here! I don't own a touch yet (planning to by Christmas), but have been lurking for quite some time, checking out issues, resolutions, etc. It's hard to tell if there are any 'real' issues with all of the jailbreaking talk. It would be nice to have a separate forum for that.

19. California King macrumors 65816

What there needs to be are more stickies. There's only one sticky in this forum and there should be plenty more so that people dont need to use the search feature for popular topics. Can someone explain why there isnt a sticky on how to manually restore your ipt??

20. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

It would be nice if they assigned some dedicated moderators per forum to judge what is thread-worthy and what should be stickied, etc. The community to administration relationship feels non-existent here. If they ever come around, I personally volunteer.

21. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

It's only a joke:D

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

MacRumors is a large forum; not everyone can be everywhere at once. We rely on our members to report posts and threads, rather than actively seeking them out. As far as stickies go, we try to keep the number down although anyone can suggest that a thread is made a stickie. On the whole, we prefer for useful information to go into The Guides.

The community to adminstration relationship can be expressed as always striving to strike a balance between expression and the forum rules. Much work is invisible and some forums receive more attention than others. You'd be surprised how many complaints we get about over-moderating.

If you see a duplicate thread, just report it. A community is just that; where we all try to help each other to make the place the best for all. It's not like the mods are prowling the halls looking for trouble...

Offers of volunteering are heartening, but that's something for the entire staff team to discuss when we're not wastelanding threads. ;)

23. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

I AGREE .... ALOT...if agreeing alot is possible. should I say I sincerely agree? Btw, I had no clue this thread would get so popular...

glad no one thinks Im a jerk :)

24. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

more stickies would REEAAAALLY help

heck, ill write them up myself!

25. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

How about a subforum that is "iPod Touch troubleshooting" So they stay out of this one and we can have all our posts on "Your new springboard!!!1!"