Angry Penryn MBP Owner... 1GB Memory!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deadfrog, Mar 16, 2008.

1. deadfrog macrumors regular

Hey,

Just a little warning and I guess a bit of a rant too.. So apologies in advance...

Ok, well I ordered my MBP at the end of Feb, everything seemed to be going fine apart from the fact I couldn't track my order, even right up to a day before delivery, even apple told me on the phone it would be be in three days time when it suddenly turned up the next day... Anyhow, wasn't that bothered by that, was happy enough to overlook it when it arrived.

So I open it, instantly notice the dodgy dirty urine soaked bottom of the screen (9c82), decided to do the picture test and it confirmed what I already knew. Half way through looking at it, I tilted the screen back and every other backlight went out... Had seen a couple of pictures of some other people having the same effect, basically looks like your screen has turned into a cinema curtain... I took a photo and rang Apple immediately...

They said as it was within the 14 days of purchase, the best thing to do would be to take it into an apple store and get it replaced. I specifically asked the guy on the phone that because I had ordered it on the phone through the educational store that would they be able to replace it, as thats what I wanted. He replied... No problem, you are covered by the 14 days etc... He also told me that he would book me into the store to see a genius, so that it can all be arranged.

So I travel up to Southampton (nearest Apple store), about 50 mins away from where I live, get there see a "genius" and he tells me that they wouldn't normally accept it, but he would see what he could do...

Here comes the best bit, he then returns and says I cant replace it, as its a custom configured model, I said, it shouldnt be... I only ordered the remote, other than that its a 2.5 Ghz base model. He then points out that it only has 1GB memory, and says so on the box. He wouldn't touch it...

So not only did they send me a duff machine, its not what I ordered and then they waste my time and money sending me on a wild goose chase!

So be warned, anyone getting a MacBook Pro, check its memory... I didnt even bother as I thought 2GB was standard and you couldnt drop it below. According to the "genius" you can...

Anyone else heard of a Penryn MBP arriving with only 1GB memory?

Anyways, like I said sorry for the rant, but its also a bit of a warning...

Will call apple tomorrow, but dont know what I can demand as compensation / sorting stuff out, any suggestions would be welcomed...

Cheers

2. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Take it back into the store and get them to do something about it or contact Apple, that's just not right. No SR/Penryn MacBook Pro ships with only 1 GB of RAM, although there have been reports of the memory configuration being mis-printed on the box as 1x1GB.

3. deadfrog thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, yeah thats what I thought... I even said that to the "genius" but he assured me it could be done... He even opened the battery and said, yep thats only got 1GB of memory... Gave me some rubbish about it having some custom model number etc...

Having said that, I have just booted it up and it says 2GB in the "About this Mac"...

I should have got the guy to do that too, but he really didn't want anything to do with it...

Annoys me that a so called "genius" appears to be so clueless... and unhelpful...

Its a shame, it has tainted my really good experiences with Apple up until now...

4. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Wow. You must be pretty new to the Apple scene. This is well-known in the inner circle.

Sorry about your bad experience. :(

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Apparently some labels got misprinted and say "1x1G" on the outside of the box. This has been reported elsewhere. Dumb@$$ Apple Store Person believed it rather than booting the machine and checking. Talk to his manager.

Remember next time to take a printout of your Ed store receipt or order confirmation email.

6. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I haven't really had good experiences with the staff at the Apple store. I was at the Bull Ring (Birmingham) recently and after waiting ages to speak with a so called genius, every question I asked had to be "confirmed" with another member of staff. Basically they weren't able to answer any of my questions and I ended up phoning the sales guys in Ireland who where much more helpful.

7. mags631 Guest

You have every right to be angry, you got a bad apple on two accounts (machine and genius).

Please, talk to a manager, be courteous but firm, and make sure s/he realizes how much money and time they put you out due to their mishandling of the issue. Be sure to tell them that you want him/her to transform this into a good experience, so that you can remain a happy, loyal (and therefore profitable) Apple customer. Maybe they will be willing to do something for you in addition to the minimum, which is for them to fix/replace your machine and apologize for their mistake.

Good luck! I hope it works out for you.

8. sjb macrumors regular

I've never had any problems with the geniuses. Other than having to wait a while to actually see one, they've always replaced my faulty hardware no questions asked.

I would definitely either phone Apple directly or go back to the store and ask to speak to the manager. Just because the box says '1G' of RAM doesn't mean it's true.

Be nice and state your case, and I'm sure you'll get taken care of. If not, definitely call Apple. I think they pride themselves on good customer server.

Good luck!

9. deadfrog thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for everyones' responses... Gonna ring them tomorrow and explain the situation...

Although its a bit of a pain, I think id rather try and go back to the store again and push for a replacement there, just so I can check the screen etc.

This time though I will get apple to send me an email confirming this, and ring the store and ask to confirm this with the manager. (if all goes to plan)

Cheers

10. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Can you print a copy of your original order? It should plainly state what the machine config should be. If your order had a packing slip it should also include the config information as well as possibly the machine serial number. I would have all of the information you can gather ready to preset just incase they decide to give you the run around again.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I believe the online store and the retail stores are separate channels you might need to deal with the online store.

12. deadfrog thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, just to update people incase they are interested...

Well I eventually got through to someone who could help me, they offered to send another one out but it would be shipped from china or something and would take 2-3 weeks as ordering a remote with it counts as a custom build!

I said I wanted to go into a store and see the exact machine I was buying and test it, she understood and offered me a refund and suggested I went into the store and bought one that way. I asked if there was anything she could offer me as way of compensation, so she said Ill refund you for the external keyboard, mbp and remote, send the mbp and remote but you can keep the keyboard. She then said she would send me a remote free of charge as well.

Got an email confirming that a universal dock was being shipped to me, which confused me at first but then realised it includes the remote as well.

I then went to the store today, bought another mbp and checked out the screen and confirmed what I had originally thought, my original mbp had a massive dirty dull patch on the lower 1/2 of the screen. I even had them running next to each other at home, was very noticeable. Its odd, my new screen (9c83) is slightly pink in comparison to the original mbp (9c82) but no dodgy dark patch!!! Ill just use a colour calibrater on it and sort that out...

So all in all, I have remained a happy chappy and have an amazing machine in the end.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

13. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Ya welcome to "Genius" bar club lol. When i took mine in this genius acted as if couldnt see the very noticeable yellow on the bottom of the screen, then some other genius said something to me about "most LCD's have 2-3 dead pixels and its extremely common." Geniuses arent very genius at all, all they do is go to the apple website and click support and then type in some hot words in the search bar. Anyone with a pulse and access to the internet is qualified to be a genius at the apple store IMO.

14. comptr macrumors 65816

When I picked up my replacement macBook Pro it also had the same 1x1G on the box but when you boot the computer it says 2 gigs. It must have been a misprint. :(

15. comptr macrumors 65816

Hum :confused: the geniuses at the apple store near by are peaty good and they know their stuff.

16. mrmacosx macrumors member

I don't know about my box, but when I took out the battery (for no reason) I noticed a sticker saying 2.4,1x1G,250 or sth along those lines... so not only are the stickers for the boxes wrong, also stickers inside the actual computer...