Animal Control & animal cruelty - need some advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Malsi, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malsi macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

I need some advice on the treatment of animals that are considered "pests". In this case the "pest" is a raccoon. You see, one of our neighbours works with a pest control company, and today he captured a raccoon. My mother witnessed him carry the cage and lock it in his truck. She also says that the windows of the truck are rolled up and that it's very hot.

Now my question is this, are people that are licensed to control pests allowed to make lock animals in a hot car like our neighbour did? I know it's illegal for parents to leave children and pets alone in a hot car, why would raccoons be any different? Or is it because they are a bother to humans that this is okay? Also, if this is not okay/legal, who do I call to report him?

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Humane pest control

what he is doing is not humane,

you can call local SPCA or animal welfare agency

3. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

How are racoons different than children? Do you really need that spelled out?

Your mother witnessed a pest control professional controlling a pest.

My advice: Dont be "that neighbor," if you chose to "report" this guy, you will be, for the most part, actively sabotaging his life, and I can't imagine he will be very thrilled about it. I would be furious.

Nobody likes a busybody.

EDIT: If you see him leaving his child in the car, please DO report him.

4. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Please do. At the very least they can advise you on the law.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
    --Ghandi

That animal is capable of feeling fear and pain. There are humane ways to deal with any animal.

5. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

It's a raccoon...

A raccoon is not a child and it is not a pet. That does not mean we should do horrible things to it, but caging it and putting it in a car is probably one of the nicer things he could have done, and probably nicer than what I would have done.

I grew up in the country and had to deal with animals making homes anywhere and everywhere. The way it usually happens is that if you do not take them far far away they are more than likely to come back to there same home. Your mother should count herself lucky that she is not my neighbor. I probably would have shot the raccoon and dumped it somewhere.

6. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

That is all well and good, so why not go talk to the guy instead? Don't tell on the guy who is just trying to do his job!!!

More than that, putting a raccoon in a van is HARDLY "cruel!" Its not like she saw him kick it or light it on fire or anything.

Get over it but if you must do something, talk to the guy.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry, this thread is in clear violations of our PRSI rules, and as the OP would no longer have access to it, were it moved to the PRSI, I am closing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.