Animate 2D logo into 3D spin

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by bomadian, Sep 29, 2008.

1. bomadian macrumors member

Trying to find a way to spin a 2D logo layer from PS CS3 to create 3D animation. Found a way in Crystal 3D Impact Pro but it's a windows only program and you have to pay to get rid of watermark. Is there a decent Mac 3D app that can create this simple task, ideally cheap or free? Thanks

2. bartelby macrumors Core

PS CS3 has a gif animation capability.

EDIT: Oh. I get what you mean now.
    Nevermind

3. bomadian thread starter macrumors member

yes, I actually used Crystal to render the spin for the logo, but because of the watermark i couldn't export the animation back into CS3 to make the gif animation. to get round this i played the animation in crystal and used a screen recording program to capture a video of it - trouble is the frame rate on the capture isn't very good so I'm missing frames back in CS3. hope that makes sense.

4. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

You can do it in Flash very easily, it's a matter of keyframing the movement then rendering it out in format you want.

I've have done the good ol' spinning logo for clients before but it seems very 2001 now...

5. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

I've done this using a combination of Photoshop CS3 and Illustrator CS3. I'd take the logo, use illustrators 3D rotate tools, and make copies of the image at different degrees of rotation. Then copy and paste those into Photoshop, line them up and arrange them into frames. Pretty easy really.

-je

6. bomadian thread starter macrumors member

Cool, thanks for the advice. Isn't flash damn expensive though?

Very 2001? yikes, what would you suggest I do with a logo nowadays?

7. forty31 macrumors newbie

If you want to use a 3d app then check out Blender...good app and best of all it's free!

8. bomadian thread starter macrumors member

I had a look at Blender, went to import my 2D flat logo from PS CS3 and it didn't appear to support any image formats like tiff, jpg. do you know the steps I need to take or any good tutorials? thanks!

9. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I haven't used blender before, but I'm pretty sure you have to make the logo from scratch in blender as a tiff, jpg, png is a bitmap (still a flat logo) where 3D apps use poly and mesh to make up the "model".

10. bomadian thread starter macrumors member

yeah I am with you, Blender is probably too advanced for just doing my FAUX three dimensional spinning effect. i guess it's, gulp, buy Flash or get the full version of Crystal 3D impact for urgh, Windows...........any last suggestions?

11. bartelby macrumors Core

You can create a path in CS3 and import that to Blender.

12. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Flash CS4 (release very soon) has this capability.
    Use the 3D rotation tool to select the 2D logo and rotate it.
    Keyframing is automatic.
    I'm guessing that a novice could accomplish this in about a minute.

13. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I didn't say it was bad just every single client I had back in 2001 wanted either the "backlight effect" on 3D logos or the spinning logo. If done right it looks very cool, but I've never been a huge fan adding looped animation to logos.

As suggested by others you'd be able to also do it in Blender3D, it wouldn't take long and there are probably tutorials out there about it making stuff like logos spin.