Animated Avatar question

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by merl1n, Jun 23, 2008.

1. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Hi,

I've created an animated gif within the guidelines for size for macrumors forums. I tested it by loading it into a blank web page and it plays well.

However, when I upload it to "customize avatar" under my user CP, it doesn't play and all I see is the first frame (3 frames in all) which appears as a static picture on the forum posts.

I was wondering what (free or shareware) programs any of you (with animated avatars on this forum) used to create your avatar and what file type your avatar is.

I used GraphicConverter to create mine. It just won't play on MacRumors posts or in my user CP.

Thanks.

Merl1n

2. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Funny I look up your users profile and it appears to be working (lightning bolts moving left to right).

Did you change anything? One thing I would check is the animation refresh options. What settings did you use in gif converter?

3. merl1n thread starter macrumors 65816

merl1n

I was working with another forum member and I sent him my test files thru emai. They all worked for him. He used another program to save the file and scale it down a bit. I just uploaded it to my user CP. You are seeing his conversion now in my profile.

I tried to duplicate it using GraphicConverter, but anything GraphicConverter saves works elsewhere, but not on this forum.

It has me totally puzzled. The animations work fine on a blank web page and in the GC program itself, but not on MacRumors forum. I don't know what program he used to save it again. But his file (my file he sent back) works fine on the MacRumors forum.

I think MacRumors doesn't like GraphicConverter .gif files. :rolleyes:

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Interesting, but one of the Mods will probably be able to answer

I used Image Ready

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. merl1n thread starter macrumors 65816

merl1n

Thanks for the info. "Image Ready" was part of Photoshop CS2 and now discontinued. It has been replaced by "Fireworks" a separate package by Adobe or bundled with "Adobe Creative Works". By itself it sells for ~$300/US.

I'm looking for a simple freeware/shareware product similar to GraphicConverter that can take jpeg picts (or gif, bmp, pict, etc) and convert them into animated gif files that this forum will like.

If there are any moderators out there looking at this thread, can you figure out why animated gifs created by GraphicConverter don't work on this forum, but work on other web pages? If so, can you send me a PM so we can open a discussion?

Thanks.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You may find this thread of some help, especially the last post.