Animated CD overlay when inserting/ejecting discs on iMac G5?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by smoothbit, Jan 20, 2018.

1. smoothbit macrumors member

When the iMac G5 came out in 2004, I'm sure I remember reading of an application that would make an animated overlay of an optical disc slide in from the right side of the screen when you inserted a CD or DVD, maybe it also slid out when you ejected it.

I'd like to install it on the iMac I got for 50€ a few weeks ago, but can find no trace of it when searching with Google.

Does anyone remember what that application was called? Is it possible to download it anywhere today? Or did I imagine the whole thing?

2. bobesch macrumors 65816

bobesch

Hmm, maybe I misunderstood your question... but with Finder-Settings you may choose, which items show up as an icon on the desktop (HDD, CD/DVD, Network-drives etc.). And with right-click or drag icon to trash the disk can be ejected...

3. smoothbit thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion, but what I remember was a 3rd party app, it animated a life-size photo-realistic CD that slid in from the right and then faded away once the disc was mounted.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 20, 2018 ---
    It was a purely aesthetic thing, like the smoke that rose from Disco as it burned a CD.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I recall what you're talking about. I've used it in the past for a bit, before I got tired of it. I don't recall what it was called though. Haven't used it in over 10 years.

5. smoothbit thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for confirming it was real, that I didn't just imagine the whole thing :)

Is there any chance you have the app/installer on an old machine / in a backup somewhere?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I may have it in some archives. I currently do not have access to them.

7. chabig macrumors 603

I don’t remember that. How could it possible work? The disc would be fully sucked into the iMac before the software could animate anything. It seems like the visual would be terribly out of sync.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It would fade into the desktop when the disc is inserted. When ejecting, it would be in sync with the actual disc most of the time. It had different settings for a bunch of Macs, such as Powerbooks, Macbooks, and iMacs.

9. Justfinish macrumors newbie

Haha. I was just asking myself the same question while going through some of the old iMac G5 pictures, appreciating its beauty.

If you haven't been able to find it, it's an app called Disctop Pro. I remember first saw it on my friend's iMac and was blown away, thinking it was a native iMac feature made by Apple.

10. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

11. z970mp macrumors 68000

z970mp