macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2015
What's with apple stripping features on each watch release. Seems pointless

Mr. Luigi

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2011
What's happened to the animated emoji?
I thought I was in the Twilight Zone when I couldn't find the Animated Emojis on WatchOS5. Now it appears Apple stripped away that functionality. Maybe I'm the only one, but I enjoyed sending these characters as responses to messages instead of the very tiny, static, blah standard emojis. I think the recipients enjoyed them too as they would sometimes say, "How did you do that?" I'd reply, "Gotta have an Apple Watch man!" A very baffling decision by Apple. Anyone know if they're coming back in a future update?

OldNavyGuy

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2018
I thought I was in the Twilight Zone when I couldn't find the Animated Emojis on WatchOS5. Now it appears Apple stripped away that functionality. Maybe I'm the only one, but I enjoyed sending these characters as responses to messages instead of the very tiny, static, blah standard emojis. I think the recipients enjoyed them too as they would sometimes say, "How did you do that?" I'd reply, "Gotta have an Apple Watch man!" A very baffling decision by Apple. Anyone know if they're coming back in a future update?
Wow. I am very disappointed in this deletion. One of my favorite things about the Watch was this delightful emoji set. Had I known they would strip this out, I would not have updated to Watch OS 5.