Animated GIF as desktop? Screen saver?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Delta2Nite, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Delta2Nite macrumors newbie

Hi, I've got an animated GIF file that I'd like to use as my desktop wallpaper. I can't figure out how to set it up.

If that isn't possible, how can I set it so the GIF file plays as my screen saver, as I've heard of applications that can use a screen saver as the desktop.

Thanks for the help.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I've never heard of anyone setting an animated gif as the screensaver or desktop background.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

im afraid not...but there are terminal commands that let you play screen savers as the desktop - if you could somehow figure out how to make the gif into a screen saver then you could do it :)

4. macuser154 macrumors 6502

I don't think using a GIF as a desktop background would look very good though. Pretty much all GIFs I see are low resolution, so stretching it wouldn't look too good.

5. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

Windows Vista Ultimate will play movies as a Desktop image.

6. Dave H macrumors 6502

Dave H

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats because all the GIFs you have probably seen are compressed so that they can be used on the internet :p if you let the file size be large enough then they can look decent.

8. snowboarder943 macrumors regular

http://www.wallsaverapp.com/

try this out, makes a screensaver of your choice be your desktop background. So you need to just find a way to make a GIF become a screensaver then your good.

9. Gentlyjack1 macrumors newbie

Well just to let you know, if you have the application XBMC installed on a mac, you could go open something, then make XBMC play a movie, then go to your application example safari, then minimise safari, you are now playing a movie on your mac desktop! tested in Mac OS X Snow Leopard 1.6.8! the newer might not be able to do it though, because of the full screen mission control thing! Apple ( :apple: ) said that snow leopard could not play anything in full-screen, but I do full-screen all day on it with only the default stuff! :)

10. scrimsone macrumors newbie

this one works

Deskfun

I have been searching for a way to play gifs on my desktop too. I found this somewhere in the vast space of the internet. It's simple and easy to use. The gifs are floating images and it supports transparency so it's pretty cool.

11. yogitherotarybear macrumors newbie

Screen Shot 2015-10-24 at 1.51.52 AM.png

I have a macbook pro 13 inch retina and i downloaded furrysoft for the wallpaper. cant quite figure out for the screensaver yet. you cant see the movement obviously but thats how i set mine up

12. stino_bg macrumors newbie

I made a tiny screensaver that can play GIF's and can run in background. It is free and I upload the source code to Github so that every one can look how it is done and participate in further development.

I only test the screensaver under 10.9.5 so I don't know if has issues on newer OSX releases(?).

Here is the Github link: https://github.com/Stino/AnimatedGif

And here a ZIP of the compiled screensaver: https://github.com/Stino/AnimatedGif/blob/master/Release/AnimatedGif.saver.zip

Greetings Stino

13. dhood macrumors newbie

dhood

This works great thanks Stino

14. DannyBruiz macrumors newbie

Go to Cnet and downlad Wallsaver
    --- Post Merged, Aug 19, 2016 ---
    You need to downlaod an app from CNET...it's free. It's called Wallsaver.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 19, 2016 ---
    I don't blog much so please excuse my attempts at trying to reply Anyway, for MAC gif Screensavers go to CNET and download an app called Wallsaver.