Animated GIF editing software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ft13, Mar 11, 2010.

1. ft13 macrumors newbie

i have some animated GIFs that i would like to edit and im looking for software that can do this.

for example, one animated GIF i have is a person walking and i want to change the color of their shirt and add boots to him, so i need to edit every frame, then re-compile it as an animated GIF again.

i thought i could do this with either Photoshop or Flash, but i cant seem to figure out how.

is there another piece of software out there, even if its a cost, to do what i need to do?

-Sin

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I use Adobe's ImageReady but I don't think it is available anymore

3. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

Here is a simple way, may not be the best, but works.
    Drag the Gif file you want to work on down to the dock and drop on Preview, that will open all the frames in the side bar. Next select all the frames in the side bar (command+A) and drag to the desktop or any folder you want to work from. Next do your edits to each frame and then recompile in something like GIFfun

4. OzExige macrumors 6502

OzExige

That's a great idea, Preview just gets better and better.

I've used Ps and Image Ready - wish Adobe still supported IR it's fast and intuitive. But who'd expect anything supportive from Adobe?

5. ft13 thread starter macrumors newbie

nice! thatll do!

just did a quick test and doing that with Preview, then dumping the frames into PS, i can just edit there then use that Gif Fun.

thanks!!!

-Sin

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Adobe Fireworks works, if you have Adobe CS4 or CS3.

7. adh1003 macrumors newbie

adh1003

This is thread comes up high in the results for Google searches for Mac animated GIF editing software so I thought I'd update it in case other people find the information below useful. I've updated an older thread with the same information for the same reason.

A very good solution is Pixen, which is specifically designed for this kind of work and is completely free / open source (under the extremely permissive MIT licence):

Since it knows about things like fixed length palettes and binary transparency, where a single colour within a palette is marked as transparent, it becomes very easy to take e.g. a solid background colour animated GIF and change the background colour to transparent, thus updating all frames. In conjunction with this site, that makes it very easy to have animated progress indicators which degrade well on browsers lacking animated PNG or MNG support:

8. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Wow, that is a really cool tool, thanks for sharing.