Animated GIF's in Preview

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Wotan31, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

I just upgraded from Tiger to Leopard. In the Finder, when I double click on a .GIF file, it opens it in Preview (same as before).

But now in Leopard, instead of playing the animated GIF (as you would see in a web browser) it instead displays it as a series of still frames that you have to manually click through, or view as a slideshow.

How can I make it "play" the animated GIF as it's meant to be seen? I checked the preferences pane for Preview but didn't see anything...

TIA

2. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I don't think preview ever played animated gifs. Did you have a plugin installed before or something?

Anyway, open them in a web browser instead and they will be animated.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Preview used to play animated GIFs, but that was way back in the Panther days. It was removed in Tiger.

As mentioned, any web browser will play them.

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Interesting! Too bad it couldn't have been kept as an option...

5. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Tiger doesn't play them, not even in iPhoto. Shame.

It is a simple requirement, I don't want to have to open a web browser to view the gifs on a blank page.

Tiger's Preview.app was able to show the different slides one by one, but that's it.

Check out Xee.app

I don't know if it works on Leopard, but it sure works well with Tiger.

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It would be a nice feature to have Quick Look play animated GIFs.

7. Dimanche macrumors newbie

Macs better than pcs - yeah, right

This is such a basic need, it is ridiculous not to be able to do it in a Mac. Not being able to preview gifs is a real problem for me (and obviously for so many others according to google searches), since I used to very easily insert animations in my email messages, without having to do the absurd by having to open each gif in a browser window before I even know if that is the one I want to choose to insert.

The fact that you cannot preview the gifs in the Finder, like you can do with documents, pictures, etc., is deplorable.

8. Kalkazar macrumors newbie

I second that

I think it's incredibly stupid that you can't view GIF's in preview. Fortunately there is a way to cheat:

Open the picture, click that little triangle and hold the down key so that you scroll downward. The image will be played. The only problem is that if the GIF is long it will start to slow down. Nevertheless, it still works.