Animated or useful app icons (clock, weather, etc...)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ogdogg, Jun 26, 2008.

1. ogdogg macrumors 6502

I hope this hasn't been posted before (which I'm sure it has so go ahead and flame me).

Why is it that the Calendar app shows the date, but the weather icon is always stuck at 73 degrees? For that matter, why doesn't the clock icon display the right time? Sure, there's a digital clock right above it. But why can't the clock and weather update just as the calendar does? I'm not saying it has to keep updating constantly while you're using the phone, but maybe once every hour while you're looking at the home screen. There could of course be a way to disable this function if it annoyed you, but I think the coolness factor would be worth it. You could really get crazy and have your local freeway displayed on the maps instead of the I-280 or have your bookmarked youtube video displayed on the youtube icon. Even a stock icon showing the last 60 days of the S&P 500. The home screen could be filled with useful information. Am I crazy or would everyone love to see something like this implemented in a way that wouldn't terribly slow down operation.

2. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

i always wondered this too, well just for weather like a quick look sort of thing to see if it is sunny out and what temp. it is.

ChrisN

3. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I think weather doesn't change because it's probably a battery drain, as it needs to access information from elsewhere. (Although it would be nice to have the option, like with Mail, to retrieve that info at timed intervals).

Calendar is able to change because it just uses the internal calendar. (There's really no reason clock couldn't change, now that I think of it).

4. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

Well i could probably argue that having the clock icon show the exact time would seem a bit redundant...i mean it's on your locked screen it's in the menu bar...so why would you look at the clock app icon...but it would be cool.
    I do see the benefit of the weather app updating to your current weather or even a green arrow up or a red arrow down for the stock icon for whatever main stock your following or the total avg of all your stocks...those things would be cool and i dont see why they cant do that...they can do it with the calendar app icon.

I think if enough people suggested it, it could happen.

What I really want is updates on messages or missed calls, sms, weather on my locked screen like that app that ive seen being shown around. that would be really nice and useful.

5. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

This has been discussed several times... It happens. Background function elimination in iPhone has always been a major theme, and battery drain are often the discussed conclusions the forums come to in summary.

6. ogdogg thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think this would fall into the background function category. The calendar already does this.

7. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Yes it does, but it does not have to access the internet.

8. bstpierre macrumors 6502

And it only has to do it once per day.

9. ogdogg thread starter macrumors 6502

If you can set your email to check in the background, you should be able to have the weather updated in the same fashion. It's not a limitation due to the background function ability. For this is an APPLE application, not something done by a 3rd party.