Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
So next question.

I found something that puts the forecast on my lockscreen, but I was wondering if there's some way to put animated weather on there?

I had this on my HTC Touch Pro in 2009. I've had it on every iOS jailbreak since the Forecast tweak was introduced (and it's currently still working on my 6s+). I'd like to add it to my Pixel.

Here's the thing though. A casual Google search turns up plenty of apps that change the wallpaper. I don't want that. I want animated weather over MY wallpaper.

That's possible in iOS with a jailbreak because the weather tweaks pull the animation from the Weather app (it's transparent) and display it on top of your wallpaper.

So far I'm not seeing anything like that with Android.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
S9's and S10's stock weather app can be displayed on all screens AOD/Lock/Home not sure about 3rd party animated ones
How do you add the weather widget to the AOD and lock screen on the S10? Would love to have it there. Thanks.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Settings/Lock Screen/Face Widgets and toggle on weather

Then double tap time on AOD to toggle weather
Thanks for the help, but I'm running Android P on a Google Pixel 3a XL.

My Settings do not show anything like your path.

2019-05-27 10.53.01.png

2019-05-27 10.53.07.png

Lockscreen options (on my device) are located in Security & Location.

Which wouldn't be too much of an issue if what you describe actually existed as a setting inside there.

2019-05-27 10.53.23.png

2019-05-27 10.53.33.png

But it doesn't.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Settings/Lock Screen/Face Widgets and toggle on weather

Then double tap time on AOD to toggle weather
Thanks. Works for me. Just wish you didn't have to double tap and then swipe through the various widgets. Might as well just unlock the phone at that point. I wish weather could show right alongside time.

andondragov

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2018
Bulgaria
Did you check with an Android forum? I bet there are plenty of ways... Possibly there are awso apk files of the aforementioned stock widgets... Have you tried some third party lounchers? iOS is actually limited in customizations, not Android. Almost every ROM I can think of has some way to show weather on lock screen... There should be a way to do it in vanilla Android on a Pixel phone...

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Did you check with an Android forum? I bet there are plenty of ways... Possibly there are awso apk files of the aforementioned stock widgets... Have you tried some third party lounchers? iOS is actually limited in customizations, not Android. Almost every ROM I can think of has some way to show weather on lock screen... There should be a way to do it in vanilla Android on a Pixel phone...
Pre-2012 I was pretty heavily into a few Android/Windows Mobile forums. I am anticipating a return now, but as these forums have been the place I've spent most of my time for the last seven years I thought I'd ask here first.

If there was (or is) an easier way then going down the rabbit-hole I'd rather start there.

That said, I've switched my email app and my launcher this past week as well as my messages app. I know that other brands (particularly Samsung) have more in regards to customization but I chose the Pixel not only because of pure Android but to avoid any frustrations with manufacturer specific things. Once my wife acclimates to Android any future purchases that are not Google can be adapted to better (versus the other way).

Unfortunately it looks more and more likely that I will be back paging through reams of XDA forum pages to get my device the way I want it. I like that Android has choice, I'm just having to adapt to having choice again.

My 6s+ is still jailbroken and while jailbreaks give you choice - you're still modifying an Apple product. There's so much out there on the Google Play store it's difficult to know what's good and what isn't.

Reactions: andondragov
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.