Animation difference between 38mm and 42mm.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lchlch, Apr 27, 2015.

1. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Assuming that both models use the same chip, shouldn't the 38mm perform better than the 42mm since it has less pixels to process.

So for you guys who thinks that the watch is laggy, which model do you have?

2. Pupi macrumors regular

Pupi

The 42mm can even have a marginally clocked-up chip to compensate for that for all we know.

But the truth is, from what I've seen, the laggy instances don't really derive from native performance but rather from streaming 3rd party apps and info wirelessly from the iPhone.

In fact I reckon that the iPhone model can play a bigger role in that. Theoretically an iPhone 6 should be able to open apps, retrieve information on demand and feed it to the Watch faster than an iPhone 5.

3. lchlch thread starter macrumors 6502a

If both chips are the same size, it is unlikely that the 42mm will be clocked higher as heat dissipation would be an issue.

So your saying that the lag happens when you open an app, using either the homescreen or by clicking on glances?

Hmm interesting, I suspect that the phone is actually streaming the entire ui that's why it's so slow,

4. HarryT macrumors 6502

HarryT

Basically third party apps have to do all the work on the phone. This means that the watch seems slow to start the apps and perform certain tasks because its asking the phone to do it all. This is what most are talking about when they say lag.

The native apps will have been optimised like crazy for this so its a lot less noticeable. Third party developers are going to be less experienced in making their apps efficient for the Apple Watch at the moment. This will improve over time though, through Watch OS updates and app updates.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It could be a battery life issue instead of heat and the 42mm does have a larger batt.

6. lchlch thread starter macrumors 6502a

That may be true. But if that were the case shouldn't the 42mm have equal or lesser battery life compared to the 38mm?

7. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

All battery measurements on Apples website were done with a 38mm watch, and they claim the 42mm may have better battery life in some cases.

8. lchlch thread starter macrumors 6502a

If that were the case, its unlikely that the chip is overclocked.

9. jwball macrumors regular

Has anyone seen confirmation of this on a teardown?

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Is your question 'how do we know the 42mm has larger battery'? If so we know because Apple says so in other words on the :apple:Watch battery page.

11. jwball macrumors regular

Ifixit seemed to say the batteries were the same size on the teardown.

12. Pupi macrumors regular

Pupi

They only teared down a 38mm and opened up another 38mm.

13. jwball macrumors regular

Looks like Techcrunch reported it incorrectly:-
    "Their teardown of a 38mm Apple Watch Sport and a 42mm Apple Watch steel are currently in progress"

14. Pbrutto macrumors 6502a

Pbrutto

I have often wondered about this when I read reviews. Surely the model phone plays a huge role in speed. But taking it even further the network connection must matter too. I will get a chance to play around with this, my parents house has a 15 meg download speed max, my own house has a 110 meg download max. The only other difference is my parents have the newest 802.11a/c extreme router, where I have one generation behind.

I also wondered that from a store vs in the wild experience. My Apple Store demo hooked up to the iPad's was not a very snappy performance. Who knows, perhaps the iPad slowed it down or the sheer number of devices on wifi in the Apple Store were to blame. I played with someone's watch at work (not my own because I ordered a damn leather loop) and it was significantly faster.