Animation on Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rhodan, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Rhodan macrumors member

What application can I use for creating some animations on a Macbook?

I don't need to do something too complicated, just a simple animation for a project.

Besides Final Cut / Final Cut Express (will these work?), is there anything else? Anything that's free or open source?

Thanks

2. blinkie macrumors regular

I mostly use Photoshop and sometimes iStopmotion. But I don't know what your project is so it's hard to recommend one to you. I've tried quite a lot of the free ones out there and haven't liked any. The chances are you already have photoshop so use that, iStopmotion is a little expensive but if you're making Stop Frame animations from real models it's very good.

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

If you need something really simple and only in 2D, you could try Pencil. I haven't tried it with my 2009 Macs, but it does meet two of your criteria: simple and free. If you have particularized export file requirements, I'd check first to see if it can render what you need.

PS I don't consider Final Cut to be simple. If you need a prosumer-level software package, most of the opensource or free stuff is going to seriously disappoint you.

4. Rhodan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry I didn't quite realize what Final Cut was actually used for. That's probably way more than what's needed.

I'll check out the ones you guys have mentioned. Anything else I could look at?