Animation on Macbook

Rhodan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2007
What application can I use for creating some animations on a Macbook?

I don't need to do something too complicated, just a simple animation for a project.

Besides Final Cut / Final Cut Express (will these work?), is there anything else? Anything that's free or open source?

Thanks

blinkie

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
What application can I use for creating some animations on a Macbook?

I don't need to do something too complicated, just a simple animation for a project.

Besides Final Cut / Final Cut Express (will these work?), is there anything else? Anything that's free or open source?

Thanks
I mostly use Photoshop and sometimes iStopmotion. But I don't know what your project is so it's hard to recommend one to you. I've tried quite a lot of the free ones out there and haven't liked any. The chances are you already have photoshop so use that, iStopmotion is a little expensive but if you're making Stop Frame animations from real models it's very good.

Comment

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
If you need something really simple and only in 2D, you could try Pencil. I haven't tried it with my 2009 Macs, but it does meet two of your criteria: simple and free. If you have particularized export file requirements, I'd check first to see if it can render what you need.

PS I don't consider Final Cut to be simple. If you need a prosumer-level software package, most of the opensource or free stuff is going to seriously disappoint you.

Comment

Rhodan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2007
Thanks for the replies.

Sorry I didn't quite realize what Final Cut was actually used for. That's probably way more than what's needed.

I'll check out the ones you guys have mentioned. Anything else I could look at?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.