animation or video?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Keytachi, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Keytachi macrumors regular

I have this project for school, to make a small advertisement. I have nearly everything planned out, except for a small detail.

I chose to make a movie, in this movie you are at the doorstep of a building, and there is a table near the back wall (the point of interest). The viewer will then get closer to the table where the product is.
    I have pictured the building, and i know that the lighting conditions i want are impossible, so i thought i could add that (and some other characteristics) in the computer.
    And then i reached my dilemma. I can either take a picture of the inside of the building (high-def) and add what i want, and then zoom and make an animation. Or i can make a movie like it should be in the final version, and add the effects in the movie.

My problem is that i'm not sure if i can add the lighting conditions (and maybe an element to the environment) in a movie, without doing it frame by frame.

So i ask for your thoughts, should i make an animation, and then export to .mov, or make a movie and somehow add what i want. If you could guide me through the movie option (if you think that one is the best) it would be awesome. I have access to nearly all movie editing softwares (some friends have them)

Thank you for your help

2. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Do the movie, and while your there take a picture as a fail safe. Shoot the scene 2 ways one with the lighting available to you and one keeping in mind adding the lighting in post. As far as rotoscoping or doing it frame by frame, most adverts are either 30 or 60 second spots so it shouldn't be impossible.

3. Keytachi thread starter macrumors regular

thank you for the reply
    is it possible to add photoshop-like effects with a movie editor?
    i want to shot a church, and make it look "holy" (yellow-orangeish lighting, light beams [one over the altar illuminating my product], and stuff like that) if i could add those effects in a movie editor, it would be so much easier.

4. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Adobe After Effects lends itself to compositing and motion graphics in the way you are describing. Final cut pro also offers a wide range of color correcting and tinting tools. Check out this episode of The Shirtless Apprentice where he describes how to achieve a dolly zoom shot that I think could work really well in a church environment http://www.shirtlessapprentice.com/podcast/2007/11/6/18-hello-vertigo.html also look at http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials.html for some really great tutorials in After Effects.

5. Keytachi thread starter macrumors regular

thanks alot for the help, im sure the movie will come out just like i see it :)

6. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Be sure to post a link to it when your done :)

7. arabiancamle macrumors newbie

yes your right after effect can do impossibal effect :)

and best way to learn about after effect is videocopilot :cool: