Animation Student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by huey4prez, Jul 28, 2009.

1. huey4prez macrumors newbie

Hey I've been working full time all summer to buy a macbook pro, and tax free weekend is coming up like this weekend, but now I'm not so sure that a mac is the best computer for animation?

I've been wanting a mac FOREVER, and I need to learn OSX, but now I'm afraid that a mac might not be able to handle animation programs?

I don't start my first animation class until September, but my school (Savannah College of Art and Design) only recommends macs for fine arts majors and HPs for everyone else (film, motion graphics, animation, etc)

Has anyone had any experience with any animation programs? :D

2. iphonesrq macrumors 6502

A MBP should be able to handle whatever you need, what program(s) will you be using perhaps someone here has experience.

3. Jimmie22 macrumors newbie

i know this is an apple forum, but why would you take the schools suggestion on a recommended computer? :confused:it doesn't sound like they hate macs, but they are suggesting the most useful computer for your education.

4. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

since your doing animation, first and foremost, you need to know what software you are using and know if it has versions of it on the mac. otherwise, you will have to wait for your mac and just get hp or something similar in the windows realm.

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

ONe of my best friends did a major in animation and is working fulltime making animations for a TV company, he have always used macs.

If your school have some windows only applications you have to run, simply install bootcamp aswell and you'll have a blazing fast mac, or PC whenever you like.

6. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

If it's about 2D animation, I doubt that there will be any problems with a Mac.
    The real problem is with 3D animation, so, what software do you need to use?

EDIT: I visited the website

I don't think you'll have any problem whatsoever

7. huey4prez thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'm taking the bite now and I can't wait until it gets here! :)

8. Intel Inside macrumors 6502

May i ask what macbook pro you ordered and what the specs are? :p