Animation vs no animation

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by dba415, May 18, 2014.

1. dba415 macrumors 6502

I know a lot of people turn off animations in the accessibility settings. It makes opening and closing apps faster.

I am reluctant because I want to use iOS the way apple intended, with the app animations.

What do you guys feel about it?

2. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

With iOS 7.1, the app opening/closing speed difference for regular vs reduce motion is negligible. Either way, it takes the same amount of time for the app to become responsive to your touch. You must decide for yourself: Do you want animations that let you know the moment when the app is responsive to your touch, or do you want a fade-in animation that lets you see the content quicker but makes it harder to tell when the app is responsive to your touch?

On a related note, I'm looking forward to increased animation speed with iOS 8.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Everyone does what works for them. There's no right or wrong or better or worse, except what it is for you personally. That's really all there's to it.

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Sod what Apple intended, the animations look crap. They don't slow things down, they just annoy me.

5. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

It's your phone. You can use it as a doorstop or a paperweight or a frisbee if you want.

6. Kapybarus macrumors regular

Only reason I turned them off is that i heard they with paralax drain more batery

7. scrmtrey macrumors regular

scrmtrey

Animations ON. OFF looks like cheap non apple device.

+ animation are not so slow in 7.1.1

But thats your iOS device, your settings. :)

8. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

iOS6 and before didn't have these animations, so did hardware running the older o/s look like "non-Apple devices" back then??
    I actually think the silly animations look non-Apple. They look cheap and nasty IMO.

9. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions however misguided they may be.

10. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

11. Dino F macrumors 68020

Dino F

The ONLY reason I have my animations turned off is purely because, in my honest opinion, I think the fading in and out actually looks better than the constant zooming in and out of the apps.

;)

12. scrmtrey macrumors regular

scrmtrey

ios6 have the same animation, except in ios7 are more precise, for example where the app is on home screen, not just the center of the screen.

You can whine how much you want, better get prepared for new OSX, i bet it will have new animations, just like in ios7 or very similar. :)

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

Turning them off though doesn't make anything look cheap or anything like that. They are just on or off, reading anything into that beyond that is somewhat silly.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No, I'm sorry. The zooms (love them or hate them) were clearly carefully designed with intent and refinement.

The fades, on the other hand, practically scream "throw something together in an afternoon because we don't care."

It's great if you like them (I really don't care who uses what) but you can't claim that Apple put any effort into them. There's definitely a difference between the two.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

There's a difference, but not one that somehow makes one or the other nasty for everyone (especially since that's pretty personal/subjective anyway) or somehow cheap (who even assigns value to a phone because of animations on it).

16. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I think the opposite, the fades look nice and classy whilst the animated opening & closing looks like an afterthought. Each to their own though! We have a choice so there is nothing to argue about.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I took "cheap" in the previous post not to mean its value but rather to mean "little thought was put into it."

When talking about design (and especially in regards to Apple) that's usually what the word cheap is brought out for.

18. C DM, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014

C DM macrumors Westmere

It's certainly a possibility, although given how various things are used on sites like this one I would say it's at least just as likely, and probably more, in my mind at least, that it was used in another way, especially in the context of someone saying "looks like cheap non Apple device".

That said, even in that design related fashion, although perhaps some things could be more refined (as they can often be when it comes to anything) the fading is just fine for me (and it seems like some others). I'd imagine for those that don't care about any animations at all even less fading would be better, and thus even less refinement would be needed as there would essentially be nothing to refine.

19. Wando64 macrumors 6502

Apple intended you to be able to switch it off if you so wish. That's why they put a button for it.
    I have it off as they don't add anything functional at all.
    It is a tool not a toy.

20. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

It look simple because ITS SUPPOSED TO BE. It probably was done in one afternoon because the point of "reduced motion" is exactly that.

21. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

The animations do let you know when the phone is responsive, hopefully they let you interact with it during them like in iOS 6 in iOS 8.

22. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

Sledgehammer target seems appropriate.

23. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Yep you'd be a very stupid man to buy one and use it that way, but if you pay for it of course you can. Some people are not stupid and insane so they'd just use it as intended. All up to the individual.

24. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

iOS7 combined with terrible coverage in my area makes it difficult to not break my phone.