Animations are slow and buggy in SL.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by XheartcoreboyX, Sep 14, 2009.

1. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

The problem:

All the animations of the OS [expose, minimize, spaces, quick look] along with 3rd parts apps animations [coversutra, quicksilver, ect..] are VERY slow and buggy, it have just recently started before couple days.

Attempts that didn't help:

-VRAM and SMC restart.
    -Creating a new user.
    -Disk permissions verification and repairing.

Facts:

-Snow leopard 10.6.1
    -Machine specs in sig

Any help is appreciated, i am out of ideas.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm guessing you did an upgrade from Leopard? I'm not experiencing any issues like you are but (it's not fact) by reading the forums, those that upgrade seem to have more problems than those who did a clean install. Again, there's no correlation but just what people have been posting. Seems like you've done the basic troubleshooting. The only thing you can try to do before deciding to go back to Leopard is to do an erase and install to see if your problems go away.

3. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

4. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

i dont believe anyone who says their sl is 'perfect'

i walked into apple store and they too get buggy animations.
    all i smell is apple fanboys here. tiger was seriously a beast in terms of speed. leopard was just pushing it.. now sl is just reminding me of windows..

hopefully some fancy patch update will create some speed boost

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You think publication such as arstechnica are only fanboys?

See what they say about SL. Yes it's 23 pages, but summary:
    SL is faster, smaller than its predecessor.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars/

Perhaps some people didn't screw up the install?

6. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

first off, im not here to fight anyone over the internet

im just really bugged cause i though apple was supposed to always work?
    i come from a windows family so i could say that im pretty aware when it comes to software/hardware installation and precautions..

and when it comes to apple, i dont feel im doing anything 'wrong'
    i mean, how could you possibly screw up a clean install??
    boot up from dvd
    run disk utility, erase disk
    install (Customize, remove some printer drivers and language, keep everything else)

install adium.. aperture... transfer photos, music.. etc...

and i still get a sluggish operating system?
    as much as Id love to defend apple
    their quality has gone down

when I had tiger, it was a BEAST... leopard was when it started to get laggy.. then snow leopard.. -_-

7. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

Do I have to go back to leopard then? there is no solution?

I loved SL at first, but now the animations are so buggy and slow, this cosmetic thing screwed up the whole OS X experience for me..

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm an Apple fan but I call it as I see it. When I first got the Late-2008 MacBook Pro, I had numerous complaints about Expose/animations extremely slow and choppy. Even up to the last Leopard update, it has remained that way unless I used the 9600M GT. With Snow Leopard, believe it or not, the transitions/animations are way better than what Leopard provided and that's just my experience along with others. It was that much more quicker and smoother regardless of GPU. Again, it might be a tolerance thing but coming from Leopard and knowing how crap CI or QE handled the GUI, Snow Leopard is much more better in that regard. If OP is experiencing something close to what Leopard had, then something is probably wrong.

9. dryjoy macrumors regular

Me too

Some animations are a bit choppy for me in SL, where they were perfect in Leopard. It's on a 2009 Quad Nehalem Mac Pro, everything else about SL is great, just a few choppy animations. I reported it to Apple, but I'm not that bothered, it's only a minor issue, it doesn't affect what I do with my machine. Just a bit weird, that's all, as the machine is obviously plenty powerful enough. It was a clean install, by the way.

10. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I know this sounds crazy, but I've seen dock animations (clicking Applications folder and getting big grid) on my MacPro that were laggy/choppy when connected to one monitor at 1280x1024, but run smooth when connected to a 1680x1050. Bigger resolution, but smoother animation. Weird.

11. martynmc7 macrumors regular

I've actually found the exact opposite. I found animations in Leopard rather choppy and not as smooth as I'd seen on Tiger, but SL fixed all that and now all the animations are silky smooth!

And I'm sorry, but I too have had no problems with SL at all (except unsupported 3rd party apps, and the need not update Flash). Mine was an upgrade install as well.

12. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

So is this a known issue ? or is is my graphics card messed up?

I don't mind the chobby animations for now, but im afraid it could be something more than the OS itself..

what do you guys suggest?

13. dryjoy macrumors regular

I can't suggest anything to fix it, but I am sure that it is an issue with the OS. I still have a Leopard install on an external drive, and when I boot from that, the animations are perfectly smooth. So I wouldn't worry about your graphics card. I'm sure Apple will fix it at some point, it's probably not a priority issue though. I have reported it via the Apple website, and I would suggest others do too.
    Personally, I'm not too bothered, other than the animation thing, SL has made my computer snappier overall.

14. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

Just to keep you all updated:

I have just went back to Leopard with a clean install and restored my stuff again, everything runs smooth again.

I miss SL's features and the quick startup, but i'd rather have a stable OS, I will surely go back to SL when 10.6.3 or 10.6.4 comes out.

15. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

I know this is offtopic, but i'd rather not open a new thread,,

What's the difference between the user and system application folders here? Where shall i by default restore my apps from time machine?