Animations have become laggy on a 3 week old Watch!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jfreed, Jan 6, 2016.

1. jfreed macrumors member

I've had the watch for about three weeks. The animations in some situations have begun to get laggy. For instance, the animations going from the app view back to the watch face are stuttering. Also, swiping through the icons on the app view isn't as smooth as before. (It seems to hesitate a bit.). So is this common? Will it continue to get worse? Any tips? Inquiring minds want to know!

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Power down, power up. Should be fine.

3. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Yes, seems to fix a multitude of issues.

4. jfreed thread starter macrumors member

I'll try that. I'm also wondering if too many apps cause this?

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

How many is too many apps? The watch has a very slow processor and no a bunch of memory so if you have it loaded up with apps . . . . .:rolleyes:

6. jfreed thread starter macrumors member

Well, I plan on getting rid of all the non-natives now that I know how to weed them out. And then I'll be assessing from there. I wonder what the specs are? Are they any decent breakdowns anywhere?

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I would state with cleaning out apps you do not want or need. I am betting if you get rid of all the junk your watch will run good again.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Doesn't the Apple watch have a processor as fast as a iphone 4S?

9. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Turn off animation (turn on Reduce Motion), also turn on Reduce Transparency.
    Trust me, other than when you need to show other people off on AW, you won't miss anything without animation, that included animation slowness.
    Any constant animation in single core cpu device just not a good thing at all. Anytime something is still running in the background, animation will be the one put on hold by os, until background process is clear.
    This is same as when iPhone transition from 4 single core to 4S dual cores. It was night and day for any animation.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

If so I feel sorry for the 4S.

11. Gonky macrumors regular

Gonky

I have transparency turned off which makes the watch a lot faster and clearer to read, don't like reduce motion though.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't know about the 4s, but I believe what they are using is a very low powered (and slow) processor.

I don't use too many apps, so I never noticed any lagging but then I don't generally see too much animations in the first place.

13. jfreed thread starter macrumors member

Hey maflynn - Great suggestion! Much smoother and honestly I like the App Layout better this way.

14. jasie02, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016

jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

4S has dual core A5 with 45nm die technology and 0.8-1Ghz speed. AW is single core S1 with 28nm die technology of A7 (similar die technology of 5S) but only single core vs dual core in 5S and with speed of only 520Mhz, vs 1.3Ghz in 5s, which is similar speed between 1st gen iPhone and 3gs.

Added: Just realize AW is approx half of speed of 5s, and half of cores of 5s, and same die technology, very very interesting.