Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
No, Apple didn't a good job. Apple is limiting and slowing done the UI.

We have paid hundreds of dollars/euros for a powerful device, and not for a animation slide show.

Your opinion .... Nothing wrong to me with those animations.
Previous versions of iOS were good but definitely old styled. Now it's much better to look at it.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
It takes so long to switch between apps. ��

Here we are: someone newly signed on the forum posting on how bad iOS 7 is ... :rolleyes:

Now what are you speaking about ? So long ??? Two click and a tap and you are in the new app, like before

MalusSylvestris

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2013
People still whining about animations speed and color .... Apple definitely did a good job with iOS 7, if this is the only issue to speak about ....

They did a good job and I love most of iOS 7 but I am mystified why they chose to make it slower than it could be. The speed doesn't bother me hugely but it just seems strange that it could be faster and they thought "No we'll deliberately slow it down with an animation."

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It's actually more ergonomic now. The area you swipe and tap is in a more natural place for your thumb instead of having to reach down to the bottom with your left thumb or switch hands if your phone is in your right hand.

Girlwithaphone

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2013
It's actually more ergonomic now. The area you swipe and tap is in a more natural place for your thumb instead of having to reach down to the bottom with your left thumb or switch hands if your phone is in your right hand.

I like the new unlock (fade in unecessary though)
The zoom-in/zoom-out vertigo inducing, inceptionesque ill inspired effect when opening/closing apps is only a (bad) designer dream become reality at our expenses. (it's slow, it's nauseating, I know I said it before but I did not buy a device to experience that kind of useless nuisance.)

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
And I enjoy them but I can see where reduced motion eliminating them would be good. But them some people would say I wNt them, but faster or maybe a different animation so I guess apple needs to give us a five setting toggle for simple animations.

AceMason

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
I love iOS7 and my new 5S but I do agree about the animations slowing things down a little. It's not a huge deal but it is definitely noticeable and I know they can make it faster.

apple-cs

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2013
Here we are: someone newly signed on the forum posting on how bad iOS 7 is ... :rolleyes:

Now what are you speaking about ? So long ??? Two click and a tap and you are in the new app, like before

Yeah but I hope they make it snappier, I really do.

SeenJeen

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
How is it too long? You click on it and, before you can blink, the animation occurs and you're in the app.

People just want to complain about anything.... no matter how baseless.

The point being made here is that it's slower than iOS 6; this is a clear example of form over function.

Just because you're slow at using your phone, doesn't mean everyone else is.

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
The point being made here is that it's slower than iOS 6; this is a clear example of form over function.

Just because you're slow at using your phone, doesn't mean everyone else is.

Animation is one way to cover long loading time so that your phone or devices will look more smooth. This design is invented so that you won't feel slowness

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
IMO it's no real issue. How often do you switch apps anyway? There's more to do on a smartphone :)

Yes. There is more to do on a smartphone, so people switch app more frequently for different things. Unless Apple implementing true multi windows multitasking, people have to switch between apps

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
I thought this thread was pretty stupid... But I just happened to be on my moms iphone 5 today that is still on ios 6 and I couldn't believe how fast it felt. I decided to play around with them side by side... Her 5 beat my 5s on boot up by 3 or 4 seconds. And with all apps closed from multitask, opening apps was about a second faster on her 5 on ios 6 than my 5s on ios 7. I certainly don't think it's the end of the world or anything, but it can't be a good thing when an older less powerful device running older software is faster than the latest and greatest. Remember Windows Vista?

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
You contradicted yourself in your own post...

Yes. There is more to do on a smartphone, so people switch app more frequently for different things. Unless Apple implementing true multi windows multitasking, people have to switch between apps

Come on, how often do you switch apps then? Every 10 seconds or what? Any less frequent and the switcher delay becomes a non-issue. But hey, that's just my opinion. And please, do me the favor and don't twist my words so they suit you. Of course, you *could* understand me like you did, but obviously I didn't mean it that way. By more to do on a smartphone I meant precisely something other than switching. I, too, use many apps on my phone, but it's not like I keep switching around without ever actually using an application, but maybe that's just me then. But as I said twice already, it's my opinion.

valypan

macrumors regular
May 21, 2002
Denmark
I thought this thread was pretty stupid... But I just happened to be on my moms iphone 5 today that is still on ios 6 and I couldn't believe how fast it felt. I decided to play around with them side by side... Her 5 beat my 5s on boot up by 3 or 4 seconds. And with all apps closed from multitask, opening apps was about a second faster on her 5 on ios 6 than my 5s on ios 7. I certainly don't think it's the end of the world or anything, but it can't be a good thing when an older less powerful device running older software is faster than the latest and greatest. Remember Windows Vista?

This a good point. Perhaps we will see improvement in a future update then.

propita

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
Regret the upgrade

I told my husband that I wouldn't be upgrading his phone. He doesn't handle this himself. He asked, "why not?" I showed him my phone with iOS7

greenythebeast

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
Come on, how often do you switch apps then? Every 10 seconds or what? Any less frequent and the switcher delay becomes a non-issue. But hey, that's just my opinion. And please, do me the favor and don't twist my words so they suit you. Of course, you *could* understand me like you did, but obviously I didn't mean it that way. By more to do on a smartphone I meant precisely something other than switching. I, too, use many apps on my phone, but it's not like I keep switching around without ever actually using an application, but maybe that's just me then. But as I said twice already, it's my opinion.

If you don't like your opinion being criticized then I'd suggest not giving it in the future.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Apple has an unusually tolerant fan base. As such they don't concern themselves with bugs that don't brick the phone. Everything else they know we'll wait for.

bryanheitman

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2013
I am in complete agreement with those here who want to see this fixed. At this point I am fairly close to restoring iOS6 as I find the functionality unacceptable. To create these "bugs" you need to use the interface rather quickly but I immediately found these issues interfering with my experience, for example here are a few things you can try to re-create these issues:

1.) From unlocked state, push on/off button on top, then immediately push the home button to turn display on locked, it won't recognize this action. You'll have to click home 2x or 3x. If you delay between then it works. This is clunky and unacceptable.

2.) Open an app and immediately begin interacting with it, your tap or gesture will not be recognized. Instead, you'll have to repeat the tap or gesture a second later.

3.) Unlock phone and immediately click on a app, it won't open. You'll have to tap on it a couple of times.

4.) I have also found iOS7 requires tapping of app icons closer to the top section of the app, if you tap towards the button of the app icon or text nothing happens. It seems the tap area was reduced.

The people who will have issues are those that perform gestures and taps without looking at them. We learn the location and action to perform a task in the blind because the brain doesn't need to see it, we learn where it is and what to do.

Why are we so upset? Because Apple gave us functionality in prior iOS releases they took away, that's why. Now the interface feels buggy because of the taps and gestures they make us repeat.

There is some wonderful new features in this release like post-processing of HDR (no more waiting) and I truly hope they fix this, soon. ...but I am not confident they will.

age234

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2004
The most amazing technology in history, wasted on the worst generation in history.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=aba_1332656862

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
I can't believe that there are people whose entire lives revolve around cheerleading for a corporation. Why can't you admit that Apple does wrong? Why must you guys defend ever decision they make?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.