Animoji Doesn't Require TrueDepth Camera as of iOS 11.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waigx, Nov 7, 2017.

1. waigx, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

waigx macrumors member

waigx

Ironically, it doesn't require TrueDepth camera to track the facial muscles, at least it doesn't require TrueDepth Camera in iOS 11.1. Simply try these two experiments:

1. Block the TrueDepth Camera lens, only expose the FaceTime Camera: it works fine;
    2. Turn off the light, it won't work (TrueDepth Camera have it's own infrared source)

Guess this feature only utilizes some neural network algorithms and the A11 chip. It should be able to port on iPhone 8, which have the same A11 chip.

--
    Update:

It's okay to have this exclusive on iPhone X. But they shouldn't give people an impression that such limitation is because of the hardware: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208190

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 01.23.37.png

2. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Should™ but you know Apple. it will likely remain X exclusive

3. stormchasejg macrumors regular

stormchasejg

It’s unlikelu Apple will bring it to the 8 they want people to buy the X if they want that feature

4. waigx thread starter macrumors member

waigx

Yeah, but they shouldn't let people feel this is a hardware limitation - which they explicitly stated on the support page: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208190

5. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

I said the same thing about portrait mode when they announced it for the 7+. It can be done with software, you don't need 2 lenses... Now look at the pixel 2 doing it with software on the front camera better than the iPhone rear camera.

6. Vermifuge, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017

Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

They didn't. They just said it uses the TrueDepth camera. "TrueDepth camera" is just branding for the X's front facing camera. Just like on the 8 the front facing camera is branded a "FaceTime HD camera"
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2017 ---
    But the Pixel 2 relies on face detection for the front facing camera. It is a pretty rudimentary process and the results are not as great as you suggest.

7. waigx thread starter macrumors member

waigx

That's a good point. Apple uses `TrueDepth Camera` as an Umbrella term... but still making me feel be deceived
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2017 ---
    I don't have a 7+ so unfortunately cannot test it in person. Just tested iPhone X, it seems that it is using both lens to do the portrait mode. (I covered one and it said "Move farther away")

8. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

I tested the front and rear camera's portrait mode in all different lighting conditions and it didn't do a very good job to me. I saw some of the pixel 2 shots and I was impressed.

9. PeLaNo macrumors regular

PeLaNo

It’s same as when iPhone 4s has Siri but 4 didn’t.

10. waigx thread starter macrumors member

waigx

Agreed, especially when you have a closer look to the edges. Not sure if I am qualified to say that, but after reading some reviews I think pixel 2 isn't that good either, probably even worse than iPhone:

https://www.dxomark.com/google-pixel-2-reviewed-sets-new-record-smartphone-camera-quality/
    https://cdn.dxomark.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/ref2_Bokeh-Outdoor_GooglePixel2.jpg

11. mariusignorello macrumors 68000

Half of all features on iOS devices are simply disabled using PLIST values.

The iPhone 4s can use Touch ID.

12. PeLaNo macrumors regular

PeLaNo