Animoji require Face ID? Kids?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by quamsi, Nov 3, 2017.

1. quamsi macrumors regular

my 8 yr old will love Animoji (if it works for her face!). Anyone know if she can use it if only one Face ID is allowed to unlock the phone?

2. Jinkst macrumors 6502

3. dermike macrumors regular

She can use it as long as you unlock the phone. Animoji is not locked to the user of Face Id.

4. Costino1 macrumors 6502a

Costino1

Yep. My friend played with it at the bar the other day. Just make sure you hold onto the phone so she doesn’t run off and drop it :p

5. GrumpyMom macrumors G3

GrumpyMom

Pay attention to if she complains about her eyes feeling weird afterwards. Mine did. I have a known sensitivity to the IR tech in the Samsung iris scanner. The Apple face ID didn’t hurt my eyes the way the Samsung does, but my vision was a bit odd after messing with Animoji for a few minutes. Kids have sensitive eyes.

6. Costino1 macrumors 6502a

Costino1

I doubt the IR is that strong in the iPhone to cause eye pain or headaches.

Most likely, you caused a tension headache by making all the weird faces and straining facial/cranial muscles you aren’t used to using that much.

Some people believe the IR in remote controls and this phone are as potent as X-rays or microwaves but that’s definitely not the case.

Part of it could be mental as well since you believe you have IR sensitivity.

7. GrumpyMom macrumors G3

GrumpyMom

I didn’t have any pain or headaches. I wasn’t even expecting to since it’s a very different implementation. My vision was a bit odd though. Hard to describe, but a bit afterward I was looking at some stuff on my dining room table and my vision was wavering, like looking at heat shimmers off a hot road in summer. I can’t say if it was due to the IR or not. I never had that before or since, though. It is just something I’d be paying attention to with my own kids, if they want to use animoji for any length of time like making a karaoke or something. I doubt one or two in a text would cause any issues.

8. Costino1 macrumors 6502a

Costino1

Not to startle you but I would see your optometrist. Just to rule out cataracts or any other ailment.

9. GrumpyMom macrumors G3

GrumpyMom

I was at the ophthalmologist in June and got a clean bill of health and an updated prescription. I’m just nearsighted as I’ve always been and have the farsightedness that comes with age. But I agree, if any more odd things happen I’ll be back there to have him take another look.