Animoji. What are your first impressions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lsutigerfan1976, Nov 3, 2017.

1. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68020

2. stevenisHAUNTED macrumors regular

It’s an okay feature. Not sure why there’s a 10 second limit. Either way, I’ve tried it twice and there’s some weird background noise. Doesn’t happen with other videos recorded.

3. daydayvol macrumors regular

It is a fun little feature. I have already had some laughs with it.

4. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I've tried it and sent a text to my parents. they thought it was pretty nifty. Definitely a novelty that I may tire of but impressed with how accurate the facial expressions are.

5. winmac2015 macrumors member

Like the guy above me said it’s great to see how accurate the emoji is in comparison to how my facial expressions are. But this is something I won’t really be using, just not my thing.

6. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

Used it numerous times today. Almost every time I used it or received one in response I got a laugh. Fun to use. Hope the nostalgia/humor doesn’t wear off.

7. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

8. lsutigerfan1976 thread starter macrumors 68020

I noticed that when I have the lights dim I can’t really use the animoji feature. It just gives me an error message about being low light.

Also, what happens when you send this to someone with an android? Can they view it?

9. Peepo macrumors 6502a

I found that I have a tendency to look to left when I think I’m looking straight. Maybe is kink in my neck or habit but Animoji let me realize this LOL.

10. karmamule macrumors 6502a

karmamule

Yes, my bf has a OnePlus and it sends a little movie he can watch as an MMS. Probably why they limit it to 10 seconds

11. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I honestly thought it was really stupid from the moment it was announced until the moment I tried it just to annoy my girlfriend. However, having used it now, I feel like the range of expressions possible is a bit limited. It seemed not to be able to register some of the finer nuances of the expressions I was making. I do like the way it's executed, very easy to make and send. But I feel like in practice it doesn't seem much more advanced than years-old software that could translate expressions into avatars.

12. jasonklee macrumors 6502a

jasonklee

Was completely indifferent. Now a convert. It can be hilarious with the right people and context.

13. Spooner83 macrumors 6502

Spooner83

Is there a setting to make the mouths actually move when I speak? It’s like the mouths don’t open unless I open my mouth wide. Anyone else have this error??

14. lsutigerfan1976 thread starter macrumors 68020

That has happened when I tried it. Seems like I really have to work to get it recognize my facial expressions. And for it to open it’s mouth at times. Not sure why.

15. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

I used it 2 times. I think it’s lousy. But I absolutely love the rest of the phone! Nobody is going to for you to use Animoji

16. MacBreezy macrumors regular

MacBreezy

I really enjoy it. Had a lot of fun with it tonight. My buddy’s wife is at my house decorating for a baby shower they are having here tomorrow and he’s working while his phone is waiting for him at home so we made a few animoji vids and sent them to him. We didn’t even have to register her face. The X picked it right up so we were able to switch back and forth sending sarcastic comments without having to go through the process of setting up face ID for her.

17. Ironman1964 macrumors regular

Ironman1964

18. Costino1 macrumors 6502a

Costino1

Fun novelty I used to annoy people today very quickly. I don’t see myself using this often. However, it was just meant to be a fun toy to show off just how great the Face ID Tech is in this thing.

19. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

i wish there was a way to record the actual person using animojis..

as in-- to your friend "Hey, try out these animojis!"
    then as they're trying them out, you're able to record their face.

would be more funny than the animojis themselves :)

20. rafark macrumors 65816

rafark

21. Kristine macrumors 6502a

I also have some kind of static background noise when recording animoji's...

22. daydayvol macrumors regular

My son absolutely loves them. Easy way to teach some basic animal sounds as well. He cackles when I do the pig or monkey.

23. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I haven't tried it, yet. Like some others, I see it as a novelty that I will rarely use.

24. MesaENGR412 macrumors newbie

MesaENGR412

My daughter likes it a lot. She is almost 3. It is fun to mess with and see how it reacts to the different facial expressions. I had kind of forgotten about these until I saw this thread and started to mess with them! So much going on with the phone and activation, that these became an afterthought. Also, I guess we finally know what the fox says....:D

25. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

The same thing happens with snapchat and instagram face filters when in lowlight areas but surprising to hear the X struggles, being it has the 3D sensing infra red front cam.