Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scotticus

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2021
Really liking that spherical one - if I didn't already have passthrough on my monitor, I think I'd be getting it.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I get what you're saying, but the fact that the new Mac Magsafe 3 cable

1) connects to a standard USB-C brick, and
2) can be replaced without throwing out the whole charger like you used to...

...make it a massive massive improvement over Magsafe 1 and 2.

I agree. But it's still a £49 (!!) cable. If 3rd-parties were allowed to make compatible ones, then they would be a lot cheaper and easier to find. Something that's quite useful if you travel a lot and are prone to occasionally losing/forgetting cables!

Also, Lightning cables are licensed by Apple and manufactured by third parties, as I'm sure you know. Not sure how that's a problem. They're widely and cheaply available in tons of different configurations. Isn't that what you're asking for with Magsafe 3?

Exactly. But it's not clear that this will be the case for MagSafe. With the old MagSafe, Apple did not license 3rd party manufacturers and kept a monopoly over charging.

And lastly you don't even have to use Magsafe at all if it bothers you -- just charge via USB-C like you are right now.

True. But it's still taking up valuable port space on the side of my MacBook Pro. I'd rather have the 4th USB-C port back, with all it's versatility, than the pointless, limited, and proprietary MagSafe.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
Really good stuff, but the prices are a way too high. $80 for the 2-in-1 is crazy. The 8-in-1 charging station looks cool, but $120 is crazy for what looks like a glorified power strip. These all need to be at least half the cost.
I'm not sure of other 2-in-1 costs/in-the-box items but considering this includes the 20w charging brick, I thought it was a good deal. It's £59.99 here in the U.K. which seems reasonable as the 20w charging brick is around £19 by itself!

chewbaka

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
As many as possible - preferably at prices less than $49 / £49 !

I really doubt MacBook Pro charging cables would be a lucrative enough market for third-party sellers to shell them out for $20.

Individuals own many phone charging cables, stash them in various rooms around their homes, their cars, workplaces, etc. I don’t see many people buying extra magsafe cables, and the very few who do, 1 or 2 max.

Most will only replace if/when the original breaks. Doesn’t seem like a worthwhile market for third parties.

Nonobiness

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2021
What bugs me about Anker and most of these 3rd party accessory companies is that they launch a product, all the websites get their promotional materials but their own website aren't updated to show the new products. I can't find anything about these new products on Anker's website, am I just dumb?

Edit: I found them on Anker's site by going to all devices but they are not listed under wireless chargers section, weird!

Last edited:

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hey MacRumors, please stop describing these things as MagSafe-compatible. THEY ARE NOT. You'll notice that nowhere on Anker's web site do they ever use the word MagSafe, and there's a good reason for that. This is just the same crummy Qi charging you can find anywhere, only with magnets. It charges half as fast as the real MagSafe. It is in no way equivalent to actual MagSafe.

You never mention these drawbacks to your readers. This is very misleading, even to the point of being deceptive, IMO. You are damaging the trust that your readers place in you when you do this. I can't imagine the affiliate fees you're collecting are worth this loss of trust. But I guess it's your business.
Calm down - it's mentions that every one charges at 7.5W maximum in the description. Anyone who takes the time to read is not being mislead.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Hey MacRumors, please stop describing these things as MagSafe-compatible. THEY ARE NOT. You'll notice that nowhere on Anker's web site do they ever use the word MagSafe, and there's a good reason for that. This is just the same crummy Qi charging you can find anywhere, only with magnets. It charges half as fast as the real MagSafe. It is in no way equivalent to actual MagSafe.

You never mention these drawbacks to your readers. This is very misleading, even to the point of being deceptive, IMO. You are damaging the trust that your readers place in you when you do this. I can't imagine the affiliate fees you're collecting are worth this loss of trust. But I guess it's your business.

It uses Qi, and it attaches to the magnet on the iPhone 12/13. It doesn’t support the full speed, but yeah, I think it’s safe to call it “MagSafe”.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Something that has always bugged me.

I guess I am rare in thinking that if something is called MagSafe it is magnetic as well as at least 12w. Not this Qi charging with a magnet.
That’s why they avoided the MagSafe name.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005

That's why we (and pretty much every other publication I've noticed) use the term "MagSafe-compatible" as distinct from true MagSafe. I tried to be very clear in the article that these charge at 7.5W.

I don't know what the holdup is with getting third-party accessories with full MagSafe support, but it's par for the course for Apple. Belkin was in on the ground floor, and then crickets.

Link to 613 goes to the wrong product.
Thanks, fixed.

Any word on if the 622 battery charger itself can be charged wirelessly? (Like on a MagSafe charger) plugging in the charger via usb-c is annoying, would be nice if everything about it was cordless
Unfortunately, it can not.

Reactions: mhnd and Saladin12

steevn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2016
Now that a MagSafe AirPods case exists, I’m hoping there will be a MagSafe AND Apple Watch charging station.

Something like the Anker 623 they show, but with Apple Watch charging instead of AirPods.

Chefclean

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2017

An actual quote from the website descriptions "Made for iPhone 12: Works flawlessly with iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, and MagSafe cases for iPhone 12."

Chefclean

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2017
I really like the look of these MagSafe compatible items. A bit too pricey for my wallet, though.

ikjadoon

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2017

Agreed. MagSafe "compatible" is already confusing, even if some manufacturers are using it (not Anker). It's either MagSafe 15W or it's a Qi+Magnetic ring that works with the iPhone 13 / 12.

The underlying problem is the silicon shortage: I think the accessory manufacturers truly want to build MagSafe 15W chargers, but only Foxconn makes the MagSafe charger ICs and nobody else has been able to get enough quantities to actually sell something.

From Moment's Alex Stankie:

yobuVqE.png

Reactions: Widber

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I agree. But it's still a £49 (!!) cable. If 3rd-parties were allowed to make compatible ones, then they would be a lot cheaper and easier to find.
Fair point. That seems a bit steep.

Something that's quite useful if you travel a lot and are prone to occasionally losing/forgetting cables!
Right, but there's a way to charge it with a UCB-C cable in that case. In fact, if I was buying this machine I'd probably make USB-C my "on the go" cable and leave the Magsafe one at home.

Also this is the first MacBook I've ever seen that offers two types of charge ports, which is pretty cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saladin12

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Since it must be pricey or hard to get the (actual) MagSafe modules from Apple (only Belkin has got them so far right?), more companies should go with the bring-your-own-Magsafe-puck approach, leaving a hole/frame where to insert the original Apple Magsafe.

And I agree that news sites calling 7.5W+magnets “MagSafe compatible” are doing a DISSERVICE to consumers by making a confusing situation even more confusing. 7.5W = watch paint dry. Not sure if that makes a good first impression for “Magsafe”.

Reactions: Tech for Kings

Mr.sassaman

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2021

So how does the MagSafe wallet charge your iPhone? MagSafe doesn’t mean charging, you can complain to apple about that. MagSafe for iPhone just means anything that magnetically attaches to the back of your iPhone; just like the Belkin Magsafe car mount.

Also, who cares how slowly your iPhone charges during wireless charging if it’s still slower than usb-c to lightning?

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
So how does the MagSafe wallet charge your iPhone? MagSafe doesn’t mean charging, you can complain to apple about that. MagSafe for iPhone just means anything that magnetically attaches to the back of your iPhone; just like the Belkin Magsafe car mount.

Also, who cares how slowly your iPhone charges during wireless charging if it’s still slower than usb-c to lightning?

When specifically talking about chargers, MagSafe should mean an upgrade over Qi charging speeds. That’s the whole reason to align the coils magnetically.

Smog

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
Yea lol, but that is hideous to me. I meant MagSafe stand and not charging station. Something that keeps my phone upright and also charges my watch.
There’s a few out there like that too!

Couple here:
Belkin BOOST↑CHARGE PRO 3-in-1 Wireless Charger with MagSafe - Black

1635224425762.png

mophie 3-in-1 Stand for MagSafe Charger

1635224476042.png

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I really doubt MacBook Pro charging cables would be a lucrative enough market for third-party sellers to shell them out for $20.

Exactly, and there lies a big problem with Apple's proprietary connectors. Perhaps MagSafe should have been called ProfitSafe!

Most will only replace if/when the original breaks. Doesn’t seem like a worthwhile market for third parties.

We do see plenty of third-parties making high power 100W USB-C charging cables (which are not needed for phone charging, just laptops).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.