Anker Unveils Miniature 27-Watt USB-C Charger, Premium Smart Speaker, and Pocket Cinema

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Anker announced several new hardware devices at an event in New York City today. Best known for its quality mobile charging accessories, the company continued its push into other consumer electronics markets by unveiling a pocket cinema, a premium smart speaker, and a new line of minuscule USB-C wall chargers.

Starting with the chargers, the PowerPort Atom PD 1 is the smallest 27-watt USB-C power plug that Anker has come up with to date. It's about the size of the 5-watt charger that comes with an iPhone, but pumps out enough juice to power larger devices like a 12-inch MacBook, a Chromebook, and a Nintendo Switch.

Anker says it has used Gallium Nitride components in the charger instead of silicon, which has allowed the company to maximize efficiency while minimizing size. The PowerPort Atom PD 1 weighs 2.2 ounces and fits in the palm of the hand, measuring in at 1.61 x 1.37 x 1.49 inches The PD 1 is just the first in the Atom line, with a 60-watt two USB-C port PD 2 charger and a 100-watt four-port (2x USB-C, 2x USB-A) PD 4 charger also on the way.

The Anker PowerPort Atom PD 1 will be available exclusively on the Amazon website from the end of November for $30.

Meanwhile, Anker announced the Soundcore Model Zero+, a new Bluetooth and Wi-Fi smart speaker that sports a unique radial purse-like design with a built-in handle. It's the first portable speaker from Anker to feature integrated Dolby Audio, and includes drivers designed by Scan-Speak for optimal audio performance.

The Model Zero+ speaker comes with Google Assistant and also supports Google Chromecast, for streaming playing media directly from mobile devices and computers. The unit offers 10 hours of battery life when streaming over Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, and will cost $250.

A more affordable $200 version of the speaker called the Model Zero was also announced that has fewer features but better battery life. Both units will be available at select retailers from the end of next month.

Anker also unveiled the Nebula Capsule II, a next generation pocket cinema with Android TV built in. The soda can-sized cylindrical unit projects a 1280 x 720 resolution screen onto walls, auto-focuses in about one second.

Anker says the Nebule Capsule II will offer up to three hours of video playtime or 30 hours of Bluetooth audio output on a single charge. It also supports Google Assistant, and can be charged in around two and a half hours using the included USB-C charger.

The Nebula Capsule II is launching as a Kickstarter campaign and will be available for early adopters, with plans to ship early 2019. Super Early Bird supporters can order the pocket cinema for $349, with other tiers costing $369 or $399.

Lastly, Anker today announced a home security camera under its Eufy branding. The wireless camera offers one year of battery life and features face recognition, base station battery backup, free local storage. Pricing and release date have yet to be announced.

Article Link: Anker Unveils Miniature 27-Watt USB-C Charger, Premium Smart Speaker, and Pocket Cinema

jellyjeff

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2017
That portable speaker looks very similar to the Belle, which is a complete joke of a product from Podo Labs via Kickstarter that's gone nowhere after a year. I have mixed feelings about it - this is exactly what happens when a small tech company gets all cocky and says they can produce something but don't actually do it - and then an actual company with proper professionals decides to just make it and release it.

martyjmclean

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2018
Sydney, NSW
Damn... if I hadn’t just bought an Apple 30w USBC brick, I’d be buying that much smaller 27w one.
Edit: just realised they don’t make AU/NZ/PNG powerpoints, so maybe not. :(

Last edited:

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
I’d really love if anker made a higher wattage for the MacBook Pro. Buying a charger from Apple is absurdly priced.
Unless you're seriously pushing your MBP's CPU and GPU, a 27W charger will do just fine.

For example -- with email / document editing / light web browsing on my 2018 MBP15, a 12W source will maintain battery and even *very* slowly charge it.

Sure, it'd take longer to charge a depleted battery -- but where I want a small charger is for travel -- and when charging overnight it doesn't much matter to me if it takes 2 hours or 8 hours.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Damn... if I hadn’t just bought an Apple 30w USBC brick, I’d be buying that much smaller 27w one.
If only I hadn't just bought a Power Port PD II...

That camera with a built in 1 year battery life could be a hit, if it really is up to what they say.
Only if it has HomeKit integration. I'm still waiting for their first camera system to have it, otherwise I'd have preordered that.

I’d really love if anker made a higher wattage for the MacBook Pro. Buying a charger from Apple is absurdly priced.
This.

Edit: Update!

Anker says it has used Gallium Nitride components in the charger instead of silicon, which has allowed the company to maximize efficiency while minimizing size. The PowerPort Atom PD 1 weighs 2.2 ounces and fits in the palm of the hand, measuring in at 1.61 x 1.37 x 1.49 inches The PD 1 is just the first in the Atom line, with a 60-watt two USB-C port PD 2 charger and a 100-watt four-port (2x USB-C, 2x USB-A) PD 4 charger also on the way.

27W won’t allow USB PD on the iphone?
...27w is plenty enough to USB-PD on an iPhone. I've had like 3 of Anker's 27w USB-PD chargers.

Last edited:
Reactions: jtinch

petieg

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2007
I bought Nektek AC-TCPD-45W for $20 on Amazon as my travel charger and never had a problem. Bought 2 more: 45w and a 65w charger as well from NekTeck. All three combined cost the same as a single 65w apple charger. EDIT: I'm using them for a 2018 MBP13r w/ TB

Reactions: Eric.Deardorff

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
I bought Anker's older 30w bricks and my wife and I use them for our 2017 MBP 13'. Posters here are right, as long as you aren't taxing the CPU or have a lot of items connected, it can and does keep the laptop charged.

Definitely interested in these chargers but right now, we're flush with what we need. Nice to see them getting smaller. Apple's 60w and 87w bricks are HUGE.

hlfway2anywhere

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2006
I love Anker. They sent me a Bluetooth speaker for free just because I left a 3 star review with some constructive feedback about the eufy genie with Alexa. They've since fixed all but one of my minor gripes and even invited me to beta test firmware.

ignatius345

macrumors 68030
Aug 20, 2015
Anker also unveiled the Nebula Capsule II, a next generation pocket cinema with Android TV built in. The soda can-sized cylindrical unit projects a 1280 x 720 resolution screen onto walls, auto-focuses in about one second.
This would be great for a quick presentation or something, but at 200 lumens (a decent full-sized projector outputs 2000 lumens, or 10x that), your "cinema" experience better be happening in a very dark room.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

davidg4781

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
That camera is very interesting! I looked for some home cameras a few months ago and couldn't find any that met all my requirements. I don't think this will work with Home Kit since it's wireless but I love the local storage. I wish it would record continuously though, unless they've improved that part over others.

webbuzz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2010
I wish the prongs on the PowerPort Atom PD 1 folded. Not a huge deal, I will still get one.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA

webbuzz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2010
Thanks for posting the pic.
[doublepost=1540583532][/doublepost]
Where are you seeing it? I don't see it on Amazon or Anker's site.

Edit:

Here's the 2 and 4; no word on if that 100w rating is for the whole charger, or if you were to say, plug a 15" MBP in if it'd get the 87w it wants.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...ort-atom-pd-1-27w-usb-c-brick-gallium-nitride
Saw it on instagram.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Anker Unveils Miniature 27-Watt USB-C Charger, Premium Smart Speaker, and Pocket Cinema. A 27-Watt USB-C charger. A Premium Smart Speaker. And a Pocket Cinema. Are you getting it?

These are not three separate devices, this is one device.
Just because it's clear this one went over your head... it's a reference to Steve Jobs unveiling the iPhone.

e.g. from here:

https://www.recode.net/2017/6/26/15...ry-launch-mobile-stats-smart-phone-steve-jobs

1. The iPhone put the internet in everyone’s pocket
When Steve Jobs first unveiled the iPhone, he described it as a “a revolutionary mobile phone,” a “widescreen iPod with touch controls” and a “breakthrough Internet communications device.”

Reactions: davidg4781

Wackery

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2015
If only I hadn't just bought a Power Port PD II...

...27w is plenty enough to USB-PD on an iPhone. I've had like 3 of Anker's 27w USB-PD chargers.
hmm, I always thought you needed more, apparently you just need a minimum of 15W and usb c supported PD

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
hmm, I always thought you needed more, apparently you just need a minimum of 15W and usb c supported PD
All I know is my rMB12 and MBP15 each will charge when plugged into a 2.4A USBA source using my Anker Powerline cable.

Yes it's slow; they'll just maintain charge with light usage -- and will charge (slowly) when closed and sleeping. Works fine for overnight charging on the rMB12, haven't really tested it out much with the MBP15.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.