Anker vs. OWC Battery-- Late 2008 MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HIMAN1998, Jan 31, 2014.

1. HIMAN1998 macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

I'm trying to decide which battery to get for my Late 2008 MacBook. The Anker one is $60, and has good reviews. I haven't seen much reviews for the one OWC sells for $100. Which one would have better battery life and last longer?

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Can't say anything about Anker, since I haven't used them. But I have the OWC/NuPower one in my Late '08 I just sold to my brother, and it runs great. I usually get around 3-4 hours out of it which is on par with the stock Apple one when it was new. Never got close to the 5 hour mark unless it was in Word with the brightness way down.

Now I have to consider one for this Early '08 BlackBook I picked up off eBay. It came with a brand new battery, but its one of those cheap $15 Chinese batteries that is glossy and doesn't even fit right, Lol. As far as I know though Anker doesn't have a black one, so that will make it OWC by default. Or Apple, but that's another $30 or so, and I trust OWC with everything else.

3. HIMAN1998 thread starter macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

I actually ended up deciding I can wait with the battery. I found a DSLR on Craigslist for $100 and bought that instead of using the money for a battery.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery or charger, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoffs". Also, there is no assurance that non-Apple components will have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board. Apple has not licensed its MagSafe adapter technology to any 3rd party. It's not worth risking your Mac to save a small amount of money.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.