Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Anker's New EufyCam 2 Security Camera Will Be Able to Store Video Recordings Securely in iCloud Later This Year

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Anker this week unveiled the EufyCam 2, one of the first security cameras that will support Apple's new HomeKit Secure Video feature, allowing the camera to capture and store recordings securely in iCloud.

HomeKit Secure Video will only be available to users that pay for 200GB or more of iCloud storage, starting at $2.99 per month. Users with the 200GB plan can store 10 days of recordings from one camera in iCloud at no extra cost, while those with a 2TB plan can store 10 days of recordings from up to five cameras. HomeKit Secure Video recordings do not count towards a user's iCloud storage usage.

With an Apple TV, HomePod, or iPad as the home hub, HomeKit Secure Video uses on-device intelligence to privately analyze activity captured from the EufyCam 2 to detect whether it sees a person, vehicle, or an animal before securely sending it to iCloud, ensuring that users are only alerted to important activity.

A demo of HomeKit Secure Video from an iPad at an Apple Store was recently shared by Zach Truskowski, as noted by HomeKit Hero:

HomeKit Secure Video is billed as a safer option than storing recordings on the servers of third-party accessory makers.

With support for HomeKit in general, the EufyCam 2 can stream live video in the Home app on an iPhone or iPad, complete with Siri support. When the cameras detect motion, they automatically send a push notification to an iPhone or iPad, and users are able to view live video immediately from the lock screen.

EufyCam 2 will be available for pre-order in November from Best Buy in the United States, with pricing starting at $349.99 for a two-camera kit. Key features include 1080p recording, 365-day battery life, and night vision. Google Assistant and Alexa are also supported for voice control.

Article Link: Anker's New EufyCam 2 Security Camera Will Be Able to Store Video Recordings Securely in iCloud Later This Year

Permanent Sigh

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2019
I kickstarted the first EufyCam, sadly no HomeKit support for that. We’re all just waiting for Geofencing and IFTT support.

Comment

munpip214

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
There have been too many broken promises regarding homekit. Once I see a Macrumors video showing of Secure Video with this then I might jump in, but not before.

Somebody mentioned on some other tech site that the reason this and Arlo weren't supported before was that Apple wasn't allowing battery-operated cameras to be part of homekit...Luckily they changed their minds. Hopefully that means some doorbells soon too. Maybe by ios 14...

Why the huge hub with all these cameras? Can't it just be fully wireless?

I wonder how secure video support will work with family plan sharing of 2TB data. Will it just be 5 total for family or 5 individually?

Comment

trainwrecka

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Earth
I have the Kickstarter version of this setup. #1 selling point for me: no cloud storage required, can save locally to an SD card and stream to your device from that. Wonderful for privacy.

Comment

macsplusmacs

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2014
and the beauty of this route is that there or no monthly fees AND you can keep your stuff local or view remote very easily. (not sure how easy Eufy basic was to view remotely, but still)

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN
Comment

gmanWA

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2009
365 day battery?

This means some compromises. I'm guessing these are:

- LE bluetooth
- not continuous recording

The outside corners of the house where i would want the cameras are definitely not in range of the apple tv or homepod bluetooth, so thats a problem - and apple is still iffy about bluetooth hubs.

Not continous recording but rather 'recording on event/pixel shifting' means some things get missed.

I think I am still waiting for POE cameras that support secure video, or a secure video hub device that can read RTSP streams.

Reactions: Hustler1337
Comment

1rottenapple

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2004

Anker this week unveiled the EufyCam 2, one of the first security cameras that will support Apple's new HomeKit Secure Video feature, allowing the camera to capture and store recordings securely in iCloud.

HomeKit Secure Video will only be available to users that pay for 200GB or more of iCloud storage, starting at $2.99 per month. Users with the 200GB plan can store 10 days of recordings from one camera in iCloud at no extra cost, while those with a 2TB plan can store 10 days of recordings from up to five cameras. HomeKit Secure Video recordings do not count towards a user's iCloud storage usage.

With an Apple TV, HomePod, or iPad as the home hub, HomeKit Secure Video uses on-device intelligence to privately analyze activity captured from the EufyCam 2 to detect whether it sees a person, vehicle, or an animal before securely sending it to iCloud, ensuring that users are only alerted to important activity.

A demo of HomeKit Secure Video from an iPad at an Apple Store was recently shared by Zach Truskowski, as noted by HomeKit Hero:

HomeKit Secure Video is billed as a safer option than storing recordings on the servers of third-party accessory makers.

With support for HomeKit in general, the EufyCam 2 can stream live video in the Home app on an iPhone or iPad, complete with Siri support. When the cameras detect motion, they automatically send a push notification to an iPhone or iPad, and users are able to view live video immediately from the lock screen.

EufyCam 2 will be available for pre-order in November from Best Buy in the United States, with pricing starting at $349.99 for a two-camera kit. Key features include 1080p recording, 365-day battery life, and night vision. Google Assistant and Alexa are also supported for voice control.

Article Link: Anker's New EufyCam 2 Security Camera Will Be Able to Store Video Recordings Securely in iCloud Later This Year
I really wish there was local storage option. A thief can just turn off your breaker and there goes the video upload.

Comment

twistedpixel8

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2017
There have been too many broken promises regarding homekit. Once I see a Macrumors video showing of Secure Video with this then I might jump in, but not before.

Somebody mentioned on some other tech site that the reason this and Arlo weren't supported before was that Apple wasn't allowing battery-operated cameras to be part of homekit...Luckily they changed their minds. Hopefully that means some doorbells soon too. Maybe by ios 14...

Why the huge hub with all these cameras? Can't it just be fully wireless?

I wonder how secure video support will work with family plan sharing of 2TB data. Will it just be 5 total for family or 5 individually?

I think the hub is to allow for decent battery life. It will handle most of the processing to allow minimal battery use by the actual camera. It’s a smart way to do it.

Comment

sirozha

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Great idea. Poor choice of resolution. Security cameras must have 4K to make it possible to discern faces and license plates. Otherwise, the footage is useless. You will know a stranger walked up to you house, but you won’t be able to see the face. You will see a suspicious vehicle but won’t be able to read the license plate.

Comment

macsplusmacs

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2014
I really wish there was local storage option. A thief can just turn off your breaker and there goes the video upload.

There is with this one, AND homekit cloud storage with does not have a monthly fee.

And you can always use a UPS to give the Eufy and the Router 10 minutes of power or more to catch pics of the bad guys.
[automerge]1571947723[/automerge]
Great idea. Poor choice of resolution. Security cameras must have 4K to make it possible to discern faces and license plates. Otherwise, the footage is useless. You will know a stranger walked to you house, but you won’t be able to see the face. You will see a suspicious vehicle but won’t be able to read the license plate.

Yes and no. IMO some of the 4K video I have seen is not at all to not much better then Eufy 1080p

4K has to a lot of compressions to make it work thru multiple cams and average wifi and then up to the cloud.

YMMV

Comment

sirozha

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
If there’s local storage, locally stored footage can have less compression. I would even suggest first saving locally and then transferring to the cloud. That way the Wi-Fi speed vs file size is really not that important, as the video can take extra time to be uploaded to iCloud.

1080p simply doesn’t have enough pixels for cameras mounted on the outside of the house to capture facial features or license plates from the curb. You will see a car and perhaps identify the make and model but won’t get the license plate. There’s not much that police can do with that footage.

Comment

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
365 day battery?

This means some compromises. I'm guessing these are:

- LE bluetooth
- not continuous recording

The outside corners of the house where i would want the cameras are definitely not in range of the apple tv or homepod bluetooth, so thats a problem - and apple is still iffy about bluetooth hubs.

Not continous recording but rather 'recording on event/pixel shifting' means some things get missed.

I think I am still waiting for POE cameras that support secure video, or a secure video hub device that can read RTSP streams.
Highly likely, almost impossible to get 24/7 recording on battery unless they're easily interchangeable. I don't like this trend of battery-operated/wifi cameras flooding the market. Hard-wired/POE will always be the best in terms of reliabilty and video quality, but sadly I think Homekit-enabled POE cameras will be last on the list for manufacturers. They also won't be cheap because of that Homekit certification.

There's plenty of decent POE cameras about with local storage and scope for automation. The disadvantage is you'll be missing out on the local AI detection features and integration with iOS from Homekit.

Comment

sirozha

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Highly likely, almost impossible to get 24/7 recording on battery unless they're easily interchangeable. I don't like this trend of battery-operated/wifi cameras flooding the market. Hard-wired/POE will always be the best in terms of reliabilty and video quality, but sadly I think Homekit-enabled POE cameras will be last on the list for manufacturers. They also won't be cheap because of that Homekit certification.

There's plenty of decent POE cameras about with local storage and scope for automation. The disadvantage is you'll be missing out on the local AI detection features and integration with iOS from Homekit.
Problem with POE cameras is that a ligtning-induced power surge will kill your entire networking equipment setup together with the cameras. A battery operated camera taking a hit won’t damage other networking equipment. Of course, climbing a ladder to change batteries in cameras mounted outdoors is less than optimal.

I prefer cameras that can use existing power that is available outside the house, such as doorbell wiring, flood-light sockets, and porch-light wiring. They don’t require batteries, but they also don’t conduct power surges induced onto them inside the house via network cables.

Comment

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
Wouldn't Apple / HomeKit be considered a Third Party? The safest method for storing video data would be on your own person server at home.

Comment

sirozha

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Wouldn't Apple / HomeKit be considered a Third Party? The safest method for storing video data would be on your own person server at home.
It wouldn't because if there's a burglary in your house, the thieves may take the recording server with them, so there won't be any footage left. Recording to the cloud is definitely a safer way to do it.

Comment

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
It wouldn't because if there's a burglary in your house, the thieves may take the recording server with them, so there won't be any footage left. Recording to the cloud is definitely a safer way to do it.
From the way things are now thieves are more likely to break into a cloud account / server than a home putting more people at risk that a single home where a thief might stay long enough to find and take a hard drive / server

Comment

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
From the way things are now thieves are more likely to break into a cloud account / server than a home putting more people at risk that a single home where a thief might stay long enough to find and take a hard drive / server
Remember that, in this case, your video is encrypted locally before going to the cloud, so even someone with free reign on the server can't view your stored video.

Comment

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Problem with POE cameras is that a ligtning-induced power surge will kill your entire networking equipment setup together with the cameras. A battery operated camera taking a hit won’t damage other networking equipment. Of course, climbing a ladder to change batteries in cameras mounted outdoors is less than optimal.

I prefer cameras that can use existing power that is available outside the house, such as doorbell wiring, flood-light sockets, and porch-light wiring. They don’t require batteries, but they also don’t conduct power surges induced onto them inside the house via network cables.
I think your worry of a power-surge is overstated. Chances of a lightning-induced power surge happening are very slim.

A simple $10 surge protector from Amazon should be enough to protect against this problem. I'd rather that than climbing up ladders to change batteries.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.