'Anki Drive' Robotic Car Game Now Available at Apple's Online and Retail Stores

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 23, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Anki Drive game first demonstrated during Apple's WWDC keynote address in June is now available exclusively on the Apple Online Store and at Apple's retail outlets, in line with last week's announcement.

The game, described by Anki as a "video game in the real world", is somewhat similar to slot car racing, but uses artificial intelligence, machine learning, and iPhone-based controls.

The Anki Drive starter kit includes the vinyl "track" and two cars for $200. Two additional cars are available for $70 each, the red RHO, and the blue and gold KATAL.

Each Anki Drive car has its own unique name, personality, and statistics, with some offering greater acceleration speeds while others having more energy. There are multiple gameplay modes, including multiplayer and single player modes, with cars lacking a human controller using a proprietary AI system.

Anki will also be holding a series of special events at prominent Apple Retail Store locations around North America over the next few weeks, hitting San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Boston, and Montreal.

[​IMG]
    The Anki Drive app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Anki Drive' Robotic Car Game Now Available at Apple's Online and Retail Stores

2. brueck macrumors regular

3. musika macrumors 65816

musika

I can totally see Woz buying six of these things.

4. troop231 macrumors 603

Two for every phone he has lol

5. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

I second that, loving this notifications !

still, for $200 I would rather buy a remote control car.

6. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I would love to have this, but I don't have the space in my house for yet more toys...

7. Battlefield 2 macrumors member

Will they allow their customers to do the formations with the cars like they did at WWDC?

8. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

It's impressive but I feel their presentation was botched up by that hiccup they had. Who knows if that could potentially affect their sales.

9. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

These things are pointless toys.

Just like all toys and all fun are pointless. That's the point!

As a fan of toys and fun, I want them! (But I kind of want that remote control ball thing more.)

It would be fun to try making your own tracks, if that's possible (surely not easy) to any meaningful extent.

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

It's a nice toy, but IMO too expensive for what it does.

11. ExitToShell macrumors newbie

Modern Slot Car Racing! Neat!

Hmm, $200 is not too bad.

12. dazed macrumors 6502a

I'll wait till this is heavily discounted. Could be fun, but not 200$ fun.

13. Lazrhog macrumors regular

I can see it in the USA Apple store but nowhere else. Looks like a USA exclusive for the time being .... doesn't quite feel right when you join in a global presentation from Apple and then limit your market - they will lose a lot of International Momentum after Xmas

14. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

I can definitely see these AI types of games, as a category, having great future potential. The prices will eventually come down naturally, and more importantly, these games will become much more refined and sophisticated, at which point I believe they'll have the potential to catch on in a big way.

15. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Unfortunately only in the USA, it isn't available in the Dutch Apple store (yet)...

16. JSMencer macrumors regular

I didn't get enough information from the presentation and would have liked to see more of the app. How do they get "smarter". I think my son would love this. IDK about buying him a $200 toy right now. he's 4, but he does have his own iPod touch. (so does my 2 year old daughter)

17. pocketscience macrumors newbie

pocketscience

I emailed them about the app not being available in non-US AppStores and they replied thusly: