ANN: OnScreen Barcode Scanner

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by superscape, Jan 9, 2015.

1. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

Hi,

A new year, a new app... we've just launched OnScreen Barcode Scanner app on the Mac App Store. You can probably guess what it does (yep, it took us ages to think up the name) but just in case you can't...

OnScreen Barcode Scanner allows you to select an area of your screen, much like taking a screen shot. It then detects any barcodes within that area and displays the number encoded and the type of barcode.

It is compatible with EAN 13, EAN 8, UPC-A, UPC-E and ISBN codes.

OnScreen Barcode Scanner can be useful for:

• Checking the bars of the code do actually match what's encoded in the bars (e.g. if the code was supplied to you by a third party)
    • Giving you an indication as to whether the code will be scannable (e.g. because you've done something 'creative' with the code, or because of colours used)

Here are some codes to get a free download from the Mac App Store:

9X6LRWEEY6LW
    7663F97FH379
    NFHJ34AAXWJP
    A947LA77YF7R
    P4JR9Y67KWNA

(Each code can only be used once, so please say on this thread if you use on. Also, the expire a month after the date of this post)

You can buy the app here:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/onscreen-barcode-scanner/id924889688?mt=12

Hope you find it useful!

Rob

[​IMG]

2. Enzedder macrumors member

Looks to be a very useful app, thanks!
    Used code number 4 :D

3. beachmusic macrumors regular

beachmusic

4. superscape thread starter macrumors 6502a

superscape

Cool. If you like it then I'd appreciate a review on the app store. If you don't like it then let me know here what needs fixing.

Cheers
    Rob

5. Enzedder macrumors member

Sure.
    I'm finding it does tend to struggle on smaller screen grabs but is pretty accurate when the image size increases, do you have any plans to include QR codes at some stage, that could be VERY useful? ;)

6. superscape thread starter macrumors 6502a

superscape

Hi there,

Thanks for the feedback.

You're right, barcodes become less scannable as they get smaller. But that's a characteristic of barcodes in general. I think that having the app fail on smaller barcodes is actually a feature rather than a bug. For example, imagine you're putting barcode on some packaging for sale in a supermarket. You'd want to know that it was too small *before* you printed it and found it didn't scan at the checkout. Providing you scan the barcode whilst viewing it at 100% then you have at least an indication of whether it's likely to be scannable.

As far as QR codes go, I did originally support them but scanning was a bit hit and miss, so I decided I'd rather not support them than support them badly. I'll revisit it for the next version and see if I can improve matters.

Thanks again for the feedback

Rob