annnnd so i bought it.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by zsikand, Sep 9, 2008.

1. zsikand macrumors newbie

well. after thinking about it fo quite a few weeks i have finally ordered my ipod touch (i didn't own the first gen). I'm excited and waiting for it in the mail. I ordered a 16GB from the apple online store with a personalized engraving on it..it had free shipping but "shipping taxes" cost about 24 dollars extra. The total bill was 299+24.67 so total of 323.67 even with free shipping. That didn't make me happy but i hope the touch does. i'll post stuff when i get it to give my first thoughts on it!

2. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Ha! Me too, but I bought an 8 gig and bought one day shipping ($16). I wanted a case for when it got here, but nobody sells one yet!!!!!!!!!!! AhhhhhH!!!!

BTW- Usually engraving is a bad idea, because it reduces the resale value by like 15-30%.

3. zsikand thread starter macrumors newbie

yay we can get cussed out together for buying it! *highfive* :p. well..i'm actually not the type to get rid of stuff THAT easily. I still have my first ipod nano 2nd gen 8GB on which i had engraved something. I don't really care..i'm not gonna be selling it for quite a long time..or maybe never :p. DO post on here what you think of it though when you get yours.

4. steve.lawrence macrumors member

Great. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the volume controls. [/sarcasm]

5. zsikand thread starter macrumors newbie

don't worry i will!

6. tonyshucraft macrumors regular

I am going to order mine soon(32 gig), it is just a matter of when best buy updates their store. WHich seems like soon. If not, I can buy it from the apple store. Which probably would be quicker anyways.

7. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I would rather save 25 bucks and wait a day or two until newegg gets it

8. Tonezorz macrumors member

I'm ordering mine right now.

Buying it, a nike+ transmitter, and an anti-glare film set, since it's just about the only accessory on apples site that says it still supports the 2nd gen.

Shot a mail off to the Power Support people asking for an ETA on their cases for the 2G touch as well as if the film set is (Really) compatible with both.

I'll just have to take MAD care of it 'till a real case solution pops up.

9. zsikand thread starter macrumors newbie

oh gosh i ordered mine ages ago but coz of the hurricane it's been delayed all tehw ay uptil now! i may get it todya..or tomorrow...but no electricity in my huose so no wifi.this sucks so bad! :p

10. seamustry macrumors member

what's up with the shipping taxes?? i've never had to pay taxes on shipping before...

11. SoldOutMatinee macrumors regular

SoldOutMatinee

i think they're talking about sales tax.

12. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Mine arrived yesterday with a Nike+ sensor, some software, and I got the Sony alarm clock/dock today.

So far the 16 is plenty large. I love the volume controls on the side, and overall it is really nice. The only problem I have so far is in synching - it takes forever! Seriously, about 2 hours for 100 MB, and I don;t understand why.

I downloaded 200+ apps and have spent the past day eliminating ones I don't want to deal with. I still have to get rid of 40 or 50. Most are utter crap, being free. So many want you to sign onto/register with a site/service, so those are getting flung.

The location setting is still bugging me out. I can;tt figure out how to set the location for the programs to default toward instead of having to type it in all the time.

YouTube on iPT looks amazing.
    All the basic apps are great.
    So much good and usefull stuff that is far ahead of any PDA I ever owned.

Well worth the cash.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Sarcasm or not, this was a complete blunder on Apple's part on the first gen. Sorry but it was. I'm seriously impressed with the new Touch though. It sure is shiny and slick and soooo thin!

14. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

The old one was thinner.

The new one is not really that special, apart from the Nike+iPod which is kinda cool the rest (volume controls and speakers) should have been on the first gen anyway... And the speaker quality is horrible!

15. MySaturdaySelf macrumors member

A newbie question:should i wait for the holiday promotion? how much saving can we expect? $10? $20? If it's less than 20, i may just bite this on amazon asap Thanks.

16. gusto5 macrumors member

I slapped down the money for it too. stupid tax though, always curving up those prices =\

17. zsikand thread starter macrumors newbie

yea but all that want on the 1st yen.jeez would u all stop crying already.

*owner of the new touch n loving it*

18. seamustry macrumors member

amazon has it for 219 (8gb) and no taxes except in NY (pretty sure but you should check your state also)